New DD

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

New DD

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:48 pm

I've been jonesing for another BMW since I sold my 1997 E39 5 series about 5 years ago. I was kinda torn, as my 2011 VW CC ran perfectly fine, only 120k on the clock. But I figured if I ever wanted to have another 'real' BMW DD, now was the time to pull the trigger, since the 2011 model year was the last one they offered the N/A straight six in the 3 series. In 2012 they went to a turbo 4, and IIRC, that year or the year after they went to drive by wire steering.

Found a fairly clean, and low mile (57k) 2010 (6 speed manual of course) in Erie PA. picked up last weekend for a good price. It's an X drive (all wheel drive) which the purists tend to turn their nose up to, as it adds about 200 lbs, and doesn't handle like a traditional rear wheel car. However, as we typically have about 4 mos of snowy, sloppy weather I was willing to pay the price of NOT having to have two sets of tires; throw a good set of all seasons on it and call it good.

It was well worth the drive to buy it...man this car handles nice. Test drove four different 6 speeds in the Detroit area, and the suspension on all of those felt tired compared to this one. Engine definitely feels peppier than my 5 series (bigger car, and it was rated at 190 hp whereas the new one is rated at 230 hp), a bit disappointed with the city MPG .... getting around 20-21 - The CC spoiled me with 24-26 mpg. Highway is decent ... about 28.

Anyways,.... thought some of you folks might find this interesting. :)
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: New DD

Post by Westy78 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:39 am

So it's a 328i? Still hydraulic steering? I feel BMW has really lost it's way of what they used to be. The electric steering they put into all new models is total crap. I hear that it's more acceptable in the M line but I've driven loaners with it and it's an uncomfortable feeling and transmits no feel to the driver. Other than the new M2 competition or maybe the M240 I don't think I'd be interested in anything BMW currently has to offer. They've lost their way as far as the "Ultimate Driving Machine" they once were. Bloat is a major issue. The new 3 series are bigger than my old E39!

I love my '13 135i coupe with Dinan stage 2 tune. It may be one of the last true driver cars that BMW produced and not a well known model to the average BMW buyer. With 350hp/400tq it's more than enough to get me in trouble in a hurry. Damn it's a fun car to drive though. Should be even better when I get the new Bilstein set up installed.

Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:08 pm

Sorry to hear about the electric power steering issues; the VW EPS on my '09 Jetta is a wonderful system. Compared to the EPS on some other makes, it actually powers the wheels less which makes it feel more like a Type 1 or Type 3. It shuts itself off at speed, which conserves engine power, and it's totally silent even at low speeds which feels nice to me. It's not drive-by-wire; you can see the steering shaft (very reminiscent of a super beetle shaft) from the footwell. Do manufacturers actually make steer-by-wire? That would terrify me.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:32 pm

Westy78 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:39 am
So it's a 328i? Still hydraulic steering?
Yup, 328i Xdrive with hydraulic steering. It why I was targeting 2010's and 11's. I've heard good things about the 1 series, however for a DD I like my more doors. :flower:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:41 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:32 pm
Westy78 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:39 am
So it's a 328i? Still hydraulic steering?
Yup, 328i Xdrive with hydraulic steering. It why I was targeting 2010's and 11's. I've heard good things about the 1 series, however for a DD I like my more doors. :flower:
FAKE NEWS! No photos . . . . :blackeye:
Colin

(oh, and all I had to do to modify the steering in my luxury whisper jet Lexus LS400 was to pull this:

out of the midship electrical junction control room module docking bay level C quadrant 3. It is the variuable power steering boost module. Now I get exactly the same 50% reduction in boost at low/mid speeds as I get at 149 mph. Feels like an old Mercedes which has the best steering of all for all time. I would call it the GOAT, but it is a Mercedes not Tom Brady. I'll be here all week)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles