I like Rockford Files

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

I like Rockford Files

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:55 am

It's on Netflix streaming service. Great car chases almost every episode. Almost every street scene an opportunity to play slug-bug and spot splitties, bays, and type threes.

But when our hero is piloting a beetle in the car chase of the episode, ... epic.

I watched two recently that met the epic description. Episode 24, the last episode of season one, titled "Roundabout", and episode one of season two titled "The Aaron Ironwood School of Success".

If you get a chance, check them out. Classic.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Re: I like Rockford Files

Post by Lanval » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:52 am

I've worked my way through whole series a couple of times already; I find the whole thing very interesting in the way it expresses certain ideas about authority and society from the perspective of the mid 70s. However; my favorite part beyond the show itself is spotting all the VWs in the background. So many, MANY VWs back in the 70s! Iconic designs that have been lost; I couldn't tell a modern VW from any other car if I were watching a show today. But 70s VWs? They stand out so beautifully against the oversized design of mid 70s American cars.

Enjoy the show ~ I have.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:03 am

Yep, this is my second run through the seasons Netflix has to offer. It's well shot, too. I'm frequently impressed with the inventive shots they slip in, and the entire opening credit sequence is composed of stills whipping through "Ken Burns" effects at an '80s MTV pace Ken Burns has yet to match. I have respect for that, too. And then there's the obligatory, never the same answering machine message of the opening that sets the tone.

neal

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:06 pm

Really is/was a great show. I too love the contrast between 70's American muscle/extravagant cars, and the VWs. Also, we/they drank funny looking drinks back then.
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:45 am

I've honestly never paid that much attention to the drinks. But coffee in those hideous styrofoam cups sure gave me a shudder.

Now you've cursed my viewing experience with more attention to the funny drink aspect.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:39 pm

ruckman101 wrote:I've honestly never paid that much attention to the drinks. But coffee in those hideous styrofoam cups sure gave me a shudder.

Now you've cursed my viewing experience with more attention to the funny drink aspect.
neal
Asia3b take note:
I just watched a mouldy old Steven Spielberg directed movie starring Dennis Weaver, 1971's "The Duel" shot out in Canyon Country, Newhall, Acton, the Sierra Highway, Agua Dulce Canyon Road, Soledad Canyon Road, and Angeles Forest Highway before Santa Clarita gobbled it all up. That scenery is how I remember everything north of Sylmar when the 14 Freeway was still mostly unused new concrete on its way to Palmdale/Lancaster. California, trying to be so cool with the plaid polyester and sideburns and sunglasses.

That was a trip down memory lane, watching Weaver dump a dime into a payphone (I had to conduct a lot of my business out of payphones from 1981-1992) after skidding to a dusty stop in his Plymouth Slant Six Valiant.
Totally unbelievable plot, but a nice drive through what is now citycitycity streets upon streets. And in 1972 when I visited my uncle in Santa Monica for the summer, he was cranking on about how everything had exploded out there since he was a boy in 1935, he remembered orange groves where The Valley now sits so totally like awesome.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles