new here, but old follower glad to see this forum took off.

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

old_biker
I'm New!

new here, but old follower glad to see this forum took off.

Post by old_biker » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:23 am

I been out of the scene a few years, I remember when Colin was just starting this due to all the bull on thesamba. I got ticked at it too & quit it 100%, not been back except to look at classified ads this year, & I remember his bus was spary bomb chevy engine blue? did he (you) change colors? or buy a new bus?

I was driving a bug & was working on a bus back in 2007, & due to a death in family, in November of 07, & losing place to live because of it, & place to work, workshop, & depression, where I lost so much, & starting over, & my bug I parked in 2008, when rust got it to point it was unsafe, & got out of the scene, until January of this year. now I am starting back on the same bus I was working on back then, my goal is to be running and driving in a couple months, as finances allow. then maybe a bug if can find cheap later on.

My bus is a 74 if I remember correctly, I havent looked at title since I bought it, presently building a F case 1300 into a mild 1641 single port, it will have a 019 or svda dist, I will try both to see which I like better, & a single bugspray, with header & single muffler. the bus had been used with a stock 1600 for many years before I got it, but had hobbled tin to seal the compartment. unsure what I will do there yet, havent seen any euro tin for sale, & unsure of the fiberglass one from CCC, but on thesamba I would be ran into the ground for even speaking of such.

Later,
Randy

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: new here, but old follower glad to see this forum took o

Post by Jivermo » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:41 am

Welcome back to the air cooled life! It's even more interesting over here, where the distillation of the devotees makes for a potent mix of opinions. But I don't ever see any "ran into the ground" sort of thing.

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:29 pm

welcome back to the web Anvil of hard work and satisfaction and results.

I "downsized", without personnel losses ( sorry).
Raising the bar is Colin's skill, but he has a vortex effect, so glad you got sucked back in!
But get on that bus...life's +/- are waiting!! :-)
Eric
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:43 am

old_biker wrote:I been out of the scene a few years, I remember when Colin was just starting this due to all the bull on thesamba. I got ticked at it too & quit it 100%, not been back except to look at classified ads this year, & I remember his bus was spary bomb chevy engine blue? did he (you) change colors? or buy a new bus?

I was driving a bug & was working on a bus back in 2007, & due to a death in family, in November of 07, & losing place to live because of it, & place to work, workshop, & depression, where I lost so much, & starting over, & my bug I parked in 2008, when rust got it to point it was unsafe, & got out of the scene, until January of this year. now I am starting back on the same bus I was working on back then, my goal is to be running and driving in a couple months, as finances allow. then maybe a bug if can find cheap later on.

My bus is a 74 if I remember correctly, I havent looked at title since I bought it, presently building a F case 1300 into a mild 1641 single port, it will have a 019 or svda dist, I will try both to see which I like better, & a single bugspray, with header & single muffler. the bus had been used with a stock 1600 for many years before I got it, but had hobbled tin to seal the compartment. unsure what I will do there yet, havent seen any euro tin for sale, & unsure of the fiberglass one from CCC, but on thesamba I would be ran into the ground for even speaking of such.

Later,
Randy
Hello Randy. Git on it, time's awasting.

We are mature here now. The blush of newness has worn off.
The wine the wo/men the song . . . is now beer, the old lady/old goat, and YouTube.
But the mission here still burns brightly, you can count on that.
Colin
(read up on all the stories . . I lost my beloved Road Warrior in a head-on crash August 16th, 2009)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

old_biker
I'm New!

Post by old_biker » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:58 pm

shame you lost your bus, glad you found another, & I have been doing reading on here, too much to catch up easily, lol.

I know times a wastin', but cant do much in this winter storm either, plus not alot of funds, just buying a little bit each week. I decided to get a nice set of rebuilt German dual port heads instead of China, mexico, USA, Brazil, thats stopping me financially for for 2 weeks from doing anything else, but since the engine is going in a bus I figured I needed to stay with German heads for best cooling. my NOS VW rod bearings came in a couple days ago.

my carb of choice was a NOS Holley Bugspray, with a NOS intake. but P&C will be 87s when I can afford them, & I have a header & single muffler. debating on ratio rockers to spend the money or not, I hope engine will last a bit & have acceptable power, stock cam as I didnt split the case, the engine feels tight, & even the rod bearings looked great, & I couldnt feel any play & rod journals look great, but replacing rod bearings since I was there, & was easy enough to change, it is a supposedly low mileage engine & from looks I believe it, they guy I got it from relaced the pushrod tubes with nylons, is was going to be his backup, but we did some trading & he threw this in for boot, so I had nothing in the engine, best way to start even if its a wrong engine? F case? but motor had never been took apart otherwise from what I was told, & everything shows that to be correct. as for the thrust I havent measured yet, I will check when I assemble engine, but it felt right before I removed the flywheel.

my area to rebuild the engine is in the back of my Jeep Cherokee. so not the greatest, but out of the weather sorta, & not inside the house.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:50 am

old_biker wrote: reading here, too much to catch up easily, lol.
Good! You can always just read up a little when the spirit strikes you.
old_biker wrote: debating on ratio rockers to spend the money or not,
Opens up a can of worms. Over compression of valve springs, more intense wear of valve guides, for what benefit exactly? The benefit of saying "yeah that puppy's got 87s and ratio rockers". Most of us, and the factory knew it all along, most of us have a psychological resistance to running our engines at the higher rpms where all that breathing technology just begins to be able to work. They worked on improving the torque right off idle, where we all live.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles