The Beast of Turin...

Post by Lanval » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:17 pm

... is a thing of beauty.

http://vimeo.com/113158655

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: The Beast of Turin...

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:00 am

the only thing heavier than that engine block is the testicular fortitude of the individual hand cranking it for the first time.
1979 California Transporter

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:19 pm

airkooledchris wrote:the only thing heavier than that engine block is the testicular fortitude of the individual hand cranking it for the first time.

you know, I wondered about that. I have read that broken arms/wrists was a not uncommon outcome of crank-starting the old Fords. Consequently, I assumed that this one would be dangerous as well. From watching him, I got the feeling that there is a pause, or gap, between the actual crank and the kicking in of the motor, or that the crank disengages automatically somehow. In either case, that was the one part where I legitimately felt some concern watching that video.

I'm curious, though, to know how crank starting worked. If the crank is connected to the motor, why doesn't the crank keep turning once the motor is running?

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:23 am

Lanval wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:the only thing heavier than that engine block is the testicular fortitude of the individual hand cranking it for the first time.

you know, I wondered about that. I have read that broken arms/wrists was a not uncommon outcome of crank-starting the old Fords. Consequently, I assumed that this one would be dangerous as well. From watching him, I got the feeling that there is a pause, or gap, between the actual crank and the kicking in of the motor, or that the crank disengages automatically somehow. In either case, that was the one part where I legitimately felt some concern watching that video.

I'm curious, though, to know how crank starting worked. If the crank is connected to the motor, why doesn't the crank keep turning once the motor is running?
I can't see the video, but I've always thought the crank starts would have had a diagonal-toothed engagement, like a ratchet wrench.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:46 am

I *think* this particular setup has a separate control for spark, so once you have cranked it and created compression, you give it spark and BAM it fires. It would still be scary as hell!
1979 California Transporter

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:20 pm

The model "T"' and many earlier cars and tractors required setting the advance and retard lever to the retard position for starting. This simple step being forgotten and left in the advance position will kick back. It is also very important to grasp the crank properly, never grasp the crank like you would a baseball bat with your thumb under, that is a good way to break a wrist or thumb if it should kickback. Wrap fingers and thumb around the crank, should it kick back the crank pulls out of your grip without your thumb as a target. The crank it self is often spring loaded requiring you to push in and twist into position. When it starts it will kick the crank back out and the spring will hold it there. To start these engine begin with ignition off, and the spark retarded. Pull through about 2 times while choked. Turn ignition on, choke off, and one more pull and it should start, then advance your spark. I agree with airkooledchris in that the ignition was off while it was being cranked, primed, and the piston positioned for starting, when the ignition was introduced, whammo! :cyclopsani:
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:19 am

Mike Boell wrote:The model "T"' and many earlier cars and tractors required setting the advance and retard lever to the retard position for starting. This simple step being forgotten and left in the advance position will kick back. It is also very important to grasp the crank properly, never grasp the crank like you would a baseball bat with your thumb under, that is a good way to break a wrist or thumb if it should kickback. Wrap fingers and thumb around the crank, should it kick back the crank pulls out of your grip without your thumb as a target. The crank it self is often spring loaded requiring you to push in and twist into position. When it starts it will kick the crank back out and the spring will hold it there. To start these engine begin with ignition off, and the spark retarded. Pull through about 2 times while choked. Turn ignition on, choke off, and one more pull and it should start, then advance your spark. I agree with airkooledchris in that the ignition was off while it was being cranked, primed, and the piston positioned for starting, when the ignition was introduced, whammo! :cyclopsani:
Sounds like you've been there . . .

ColinILikeMyBoschStarterJustFine
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:26 am

Lanval wrote: I wondered about that. I got the feeling that there is a pause, or gap, between the actual crank and the kicking in of the motor,
An experienced hand cranker and assistant can get a cylinder to the firing point , the cranker steps away, and the assistant moves the spark lever across the points-opening spot, and it will be just enough.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:23 pm

Robbie,

You say you can't see the video. The car has a 28.5 L, 4 cylinder engine. Imagine hand-cranking that bad boy!

The car was built to break the land speed record at the time (around 116 mph)

DJ
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey