Portable solar panel for small accessories! Wow!

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Portable solar panel for small accessories! Wow!

Post by deschutestrout » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:54 pm

Just picked up a Goal Zero Guide 10 solar kit. A guide buddy of mine had one on the river last week and I say "I NEED one of those!" This thing is cool! Very compact and slim (great for camping or just having in your car/briefcase. Will charge my tablet, iPod, phone (working on that one...old simple phone), etc. And, it has a rechargeable battery pack (will charge any AA or AAA rechargeable battery) that you can then plug into and/or charge devices, or pull the batteries for flashlights, etc. Many rechargeable accessories available too. This baby's gonna get constant use while camping! Never again a dim flashlight! $120 ... GREAT camping/emergency investment! :cheers:
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Portable solar panel for small accessories! Wow!

Post by hambone » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:06 pm

This is like one of those ad bots!
I was wondering about one strong enuff to recharge a car battery, drained mine last camp from too much music, really need to wire an aux battery in there at least.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:34 pm

I got that exact package from Woot a few months ago. Awesome set up. I've used it a couple times and it seems to work well. I like the LED light too. I paid $75 for it with the Woot special.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:20 am

Hambone ... it comes with a 12v adapter ... Jasan, can you think of a way to hook this to a car battery to trickle charge? It "seems" like there'd be a way to make this work.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:34 am

deschutestrout wrote:Hambone ... it comes with a 12v adapter ... Jasan, can you think of a way to hook this to a car battery to trickle charge? It "seems" like there'd be a way to make this work.
I'm wondering if you could find a cig lighter plug with a mini USB at the other end. That might work to trickle charge.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:46 am

What about a male 12v adapter simply clipped to the battery?

hambone

Post by hambone » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Wondering if a solar trickle charge would be enough. Whattya need, 2 amps at least? Those big lead acid batteries are beasts.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:01 pm

deschutestrout wrote:What about a male 12v adapter simply clipped to the battery?
That would work. I forgot that there was a female 12v adapter in the kit. But like Hambone said it may not put out enough juice to keep a battery topped up. For maintenance just sitting it might keep the battery charged enough to start.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:50 am

Westy78 wrote:
deschutestrout wrote:What about a male 12v adapter simply clipped to the battery?
That would work. I forgot that there was a female 12v adapter in the kit. But like Hambone said it may not put out enough juice to keep a battery topped up. For maintenance just sitting it might keep the battery charged enough to start.
I have a solar-powered battery trickle charger, the Lanval Commemorative Solar Battery Charger. It tried to help me run the dremel off Chloe's battery last summer . . . it was originally made to keep new Volkswagens charged while sitting in lots.

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:35 am

@Colin ~

I was going to post something to that effect. Last I checked, you could get those for cheap on ebay; apparently the dealers have hundreds (one comes with each car from the factory, or something to that effect). I bought 4 for $25 at the time, now 5 years ago maybe. I'm sure they're still around. I still have 2, one went to Colin, and one went with Nathanael's old van.

It seems to keep the battery topped up.

ML

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:13 am

From what I've heard, if you know the right dumpster, you can salvage scads. All the new vstd sitting in the Swan Island yards fresh off the boat waiting for rail cars to take them to their dealerships have one on the dash, that they toss.

From what I've heard. No verification. I've been toying with the concept of a cigarette lighter in Bertha to charge the devices from, and not sure why plugging a solar panel into the same would trickle charge the battery.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:42 am

ruckman101 wrote: not sure why plugging a solar panel into the same would trickle charge the battery.
neal
You can charge a battery from anywhere in the electrical system. It is how electron flow works.
If the charger creates an electron surfeit at the cigarette lighter ground and an electron deficit at the positive wire (it does just that), the excess electrons flow into the body metal to the negative of the battery, while the electrons get sucked out of the positive terminal of the battery. This reverses the chemical reaction that gave you battery juice, and refreshes the battery potential.

It is all amazing.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone

Post by hambone » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:42 pm

Can you combine a bunch of those cheapy-chargers together, daisy chain whathaveyou? I'm not sure how it would work electrically, because each panel would have to supply the battery independently. But a few of those suckers would probably put out enough watts.
They may not have much longevity though. And it's cloudy a lot here!

It is probably a good idea to have an aux battery in your rig...that is on my next "must have" list. I don't want to keep worrying about 12 volts every camp trip.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:42 pm

Frito has one; an auxilliary battery, that is. I just re-purposed the five-year-old original starting battery when I got a new one last year. I charge it up before a trip and I can run stuff, like forever. I do USB charging of phone, tablet, camera, power the fan in the roof vent, plus play music until I can't stand it any more.

Oh, sure, you can wire it to the alternator and it's always recharged ready for use, but it takes a little work and some electrical knowledge. If the loads are small, a full-sized battery lasts a long time. I take a "Battery Tender" along with me so if a 117VAC outlet presents itself, I'm ready. Never needed it yet.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.