First All-Grain Brew

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

First All-Grain Brew

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:23 pm

Going to be brewing my first five-gallon batch of all-grain brew this Saturday. Would love a peanut gallery. Get away from the city and come on up for a visit. Over-nighters welcome. PM for directions.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: First All-Grain Brew

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:39 pm

hmmm... when it's done brewing could ya' set a side two bottles (one for both of us) for when the troll will be in town again?

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:50 pm

If you plan to fly sparge, I recommended lautering for 45 minutes or longer. Vorlauf and then fill your kettle nice and slow. The lauter is my favorite step in brewing, even more so then adding hops to the boil. Have fun!
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Nothing too fancy yet, the ice chest approach. Still nervous. Had to look up the terms loitering and Vorlauf. Have only done five kit brews to date. I guess I'm planning an "English" or batch sparge. An hour mash, vorlauf and drain to kettle, followed by additional water and I forget how long, but again a vorlauf and drain to kettle for the boil and further.

And Troll, but of course! An impending visit? Most excellent.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:59 am

I'm thinking of burning some freq. flyer miles and take the wife to Portland for a mini anniversary vaca over Memorial day weekend; will def. let you know if we come out.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::