Another Nice Bus: addENDum

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Another Nice Bus: addENDum

Post by Lanval » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:00 pm

This one is used by a local taco shop that opened nearby ~ it's what they use when the cater. Given their location, and the history of the nearby locations, they're going to go out of business in a couple of years. I'll be waiting.

such a beauty. It's really well done. I wonder if the guy who owns the business is a VW guy and used this as a way to get a cool van and write it off as a biz expense.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Another Nice Bus

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:31 pm

Sweet.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:31 pm

clean up those bumper bolts, paint the wheels silver and that would be a real gem!
1979 California Transporter

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:46 pm

airkooledchris wrote:clean up those bumper bolts, paint the wheels silver and that would be a real gem!
It looked pretty clean. The body was smooth, paint looked good, tires new. Like I said, I suspect a VW fan used his biz to get a cool van as a write off-able expense. I'd like to see inside, see if they've molested the interior or if it's original. Please, God, let it be original.

ML

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:54 am

If they survive the first year, chances are good that they'll make it. The restaurant business is a tough way to make a living. I encourage folks like this, and hope that they do well and thrive. I especially like that they are using a bus for an active role in their business. I like vehicles that are used, and not tucked away like a museum piece. I hope you turn the people on to the great resource that we all share here.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:16 am

The Costa Vida chain has a location in Phoenix I visited last month- had a few bay window buses in various posters and menu pictures. Nice to see a local one!
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:16 pm

Jivermo wrote:If they survive the first year, chances are good that they'll make it. The restaurant business is a tough way to make a living. I encourage folks like this, and hope that they do well and thrive. I especially like that they are using a bus for an active role in their business. I like vehicles that are used, and not tucked away like a museum piece. I hope you turn the people on to the great resource that we all share here.
Well, I assume it's a chain, and those guys know their business, but:

Irvine Company owns all the retail property in this town. Even during the economic downturn a few years ago, they weren't lowering rents, instead letting the locations remain vacant. One nearby store lost a Mervyn's and about 50 % of their small outlets. They are all filled now, no doubt at higher rates.

The mall that location is in has turned over to the tune of at least 50% in the 10 years I've been here, and restaurant after restaurant has come and gone. Maybe it'll work, but they are in a non-negotiable market and Irvine is growing leaps and bounds. Nothing about the (lack of) traffic since they opened a few months suggests that location is going to make it. The nearby pizza place, a local institution however, is fine. The location on the other side of the the pizza place? It's been 4 restaurants in 10 years.

Tough town ~ and FWIW, this town and Newport Beach taught me about vanity boutiques ~ shops that lose money, but are kept open by rich spouses as a hobby for their significant other.

We'll see how it goes, but I'm not too sanguine about their chances.

ML

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:42 am

Lanval wrote:I wonder if the guy who owns the business is a VW guy and used this as a way to get a cool van and write it off as a biz expense.
I do . . . at the standard mileage rate, I have a whoppermungo deduction..
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:29 pm

I feel obligated by my ego to post this note:

I overestimated the length of time they'd survive. The Costa Vida closed sometime during the summer, and the van disappeared, without so much as an auction notice in the paper.

I lost out in both cases.

Sigh.

ML

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:11 am

Lanval wrote:I feel obligated by my ego to post this note:

I overestimated the length of time they'd survive. The Costa Vida closed sometime during the summer, and the van disappeared, without so much as an auction notice in the paper.

I lost out in both cases.

Sigh.

ML
I am obligated by my ego to post that I too have lost out.
I hope the owner is in the bus out on the road licking his wounds and taking in the day and beginning to realize that his business was just feeding The Machine at the expense of his dreams.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Amskeptic wrote: I hope the owner is in the bus out on the road
Colin
Truth be told, I wish this for us all. Here's hoping I can hit Maupin next year. Double bonus if you're there too.

ML