Modern VW Diagnosis??? 99 New Beetle Engine Noise

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Modern VW Diagnosis??? 99 New Beetle Engine Noise

Post by vwlover77 » Thu May 15, 2014 7:02 pm

My '99 New Beetle with 90K miles just began making this noise recently. I thought it might have involved the timing belt so I removed the inspection cover, but all looks fine in there. Noisy lifter(s)? Something worse???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2FZ1qGLbrY
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Modern VW Diagnosis??? 99 New Beetle Engine Noise

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 17, 2014 7:09 am

vwlover77 wrote:My '99 New Beetle with 90K miles just began making this noise recently. I thought it might have involved the timing belt so I removed the inspection cover, but all looks fine in there. Noisy lifter(s)? Something worse???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2FZ1qGLbrY
Hampered by the audio qualities, I was torn between the howling whining of the accessories and the clatter of what sounded like injectors and/or lifters.

Does this sound remain constant from cold to warm?
Does it remain constant from no load through full load?
Does it change intensity based on rpm?

If it is constant, keep your inquiry up in the valve train area.
Re: unpleasant whininess:
The timing belt needs to be at the correct tension. If it is too tight, you get a belt tooth whine.
Accessory belt can be removed briefly for running diagnosis.
Power steering load/alternator load change anything there?

Re: clatter:
Get your "stethoscope" in there and try to narrow it down. Does this engine use lifter buckets and shims?
Colin
(this is going to General Forum)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:24 pm

The stethescope was a good idea, thanks!

From the valve cover, I hear nothing but the soft ticking of a happy valvetrain.

From the serpentine belt tensioner bracket, however, comes a nasty racket that I'm 99% sure is the source of the noise.

I plan to replace the pulley over the weekend and will report back!!

That video makes the overall noise level seem far worse than it really is. The engine has hydraulic lifters.
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:00 pm

It was not the tensioner or pulley, but the sound of the serpentine belt itself passing over it.

Houston, I think we have a problem! :shock:

This is the belt I put on 10,000 miles ago when I replaced the timing belt. I put the original belt with 80K miles on it back on until I can pick up a new one tomorrow!
Don

78 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

vwlover77 wrote: Houston, I think we have a problem! :shock:

This is the belt I put on 10,000 miles ago when I replaced the timing belt. I put the original belt with 80K miles on it back on until I can pick up a new one tomorrow!
A reprise of the eight day old "Duralast" (HA HA HA GET IT?? DURA- LIKE DURABLE HAHAHAHAAA LAST? LIKE A LONG TIME HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA) fan belt failure in Chloe.
ColinHysteriasCreepingIn
( really, what is the word inside the hushed headquarters of automotive parts companies about these parts . . . does management give a damn?)

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:13 pm

Amskeptic wrote: A reprise of the eight day old "Duralast" (HA HA HA GET IT?? DURA- LIKE DURABLE HAHAHAHAAA LAST? LIKE A LONG TIME HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA) fan belt failure in Chloe.
ColinHysteriasCreepingIn
( really, what is the word inside the hushed headquarters of automotive parts companies about these parts . . . does management give a damn?)

UGH during a long drive last month I wanted to pick up a ribbed belt for some tests, and the AutoBone employee looked at me like a crazy person when I asked for the Gates belt instead of the Duralast belt.

"but but dood! this one iz like two dollerz cheeper."

Fish surely rot from the head down, but the tail reeks here too.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Sat May 31, 2014 3:54 am

Not that its right, but I am glad it is a cheap fix. 10k miles? You should fold the it up, put it in an envelope, and send it back to the CEO of the "manufacturer" with a note that says "Please insert this into any orifice you wish as long as it is your own.".

What brand was it anyway?

Along your same lines, last fall I replaced the heater core hoses on my Ford 7.3 Turbo Diesel engine, with factory "Motorcraft" ones. After a long highway haul this week, I smelled coolant...pulled over and noticed that one of the new hoses had a hairline crack that was seeping! WTF??? Good old duct tape enabled me to make it home, but when I called to complain, the guy from Ford said that the crack was most likely due to the extreme heat put out by the nearby turbo charger. I then asked if these hoses were specific to this engine (all of which are turbo charged)....he replied yes........then we waited about 8 seconds for his pea-size brain to compute the idiocy of his original statement.....then he admitted the hoses were faulty.
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:36 am

Mr Blotto wrote:Not that its right, but I am glad it is a cheap fix. 10k miles? You should fold the it up, put it in an envelope, and send it back to the CEO of the "manufacturer" with a note that says "Please insert this into any orifice you wish as long as it is your own.".

What brand was it anyway?

Along your same lines, last fall I replaced the heater core hoses on my Ford 7.3 Turbo Diesel engine, with factory "Motorcraft" ones. After a long highway haul this week, I smelled coolant...pulled over and noticed that one of the new hoses had a hairline crack that was seeping! WTF??? Good old duct tape enabled me to make it home, but when I called to complain, the guy from Ford said that the crack was most likely due to the extreme heat put out by the nearby turbo charger. I then asked if these hoses were specific to this engine (all of which are turbo charged)....he replied yes........then we waited about 8 seconds for his pea-size brain to compute the idiocy of his original statement.....then he admitted the hoses were faulty.
A sense of humor is critical in these times . . . oy.
Colin