The IAC Way of Life, or something...

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

The IAC Way of Life, or something...

Post by asiab3 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:08 pm

Anyone else here continuously disappointed in the quality of today's consumer goods? Are you missing the old world quality in non ACVW aspects of your life?

I am continuously let down by my possessions that I've had for short amounts of time, compared to how old my bus is. I, like Colin, take pleasure in making things last forever, and I will go to great lengths to repair something when most people would throw it away and buy new. I am not primarily motivated by saving the environment and keeping broken products out of landfills, (although that is wonderful too,) but I do enjoy extending life-spans of products considerably.

Examples...

This belt played in Carnegie Hall ten years ago with me. I interviewed for my first real job in it. Worked that job, lost it, and interviewed for my second job in it. Last week I was in Denver (on a work trip) crawling around a '68 deluxe to help a member of That other Site, and the faux-leather ripped from the set screw and the screw fell out. A metric set screw from my stash, a tap, and some red (out of blue) Loctite brought it back. Others would have thrown it away.

Today at work, the pad section fell off this cheap chair when the tiny thread inserts stripped, and my boss told me to throw the chair away. A few metric bolts, a tap, and more threadlocker (had blue this time!) brought it back to life.

Hooray for the world's best belt and world's least comfortable chair. Tomorrow I'm replacing the button on my 4-year-old iPod nano.

What have you all brought back from the dead in the spirit of IAC?
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: The IAC Way of Life, or something...

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:36 pm

brought back from the dead? That's kind of a tall order...not sure if my stories meet that requirement, but...

It's funny you mentioned a belt...the whole family has been doing Weight Watchers, I've lost about 20 lbs, and needed a new belt. Bought one at Meijer's (Midwest version of a Super Walmart) and the first DAY I wore it some of the leather braids snapped/broke. Although in the name of IAC, I trimmed up the broken bits so you can't even tell. :)

I'm kind of fond of old things, and old things need TLC... our house is almost 60 years old (we've done A LOT of work on it over the past 4 years....last big project is the basement which is in process now). We've redone the kitchen, back room, new roof on the garage, new shed, tore down the old shed, landscaped the backyard, gutted and redid the kitchen, redid the floors, painted some rooms and did a refresh on the bathroom; as well as a new roof on the garage.

I inherited a bunch of old Windsor back chairs about 10 years ago, they were actually waiting room chairs from one of the old hospitals in Detroit (some have asset tags on them, and stenciled "Nursing Dept" underneath). Most are pretty loose. I started to pull one a part to reglue it, but they all have these friggin' brad nails in most of the joints that are nearly impossible to pull out. So I took it to the local furniture restorer and paid $125 each to have two of them reglued (will feather in more as budget allows). Okay, I didn't do it, but the result is the same and I helped the local economy. :flower:

And how can I forget 'the beast'. 'the beast' is an old Ariens snow blower...I'm guessing by the patina and the design this thing has got to be from the 60's maybe 70's. It has a 6hp Briggs and Stratton engine, and a 30 inch metal auger. Bought it at a garage sale for $40. Figured it didn't run b/c the owner didn't want me to try and start it, but the motor wasn't seized so figured it was worth the gamble. Took it home cleaned up the carb, and she fired right up! used it for 7 Michigan winters so far; and I tell ya, it was much appreciated this winter as I typically did both of my neighbors driveways and walkways. Have had to patch the gas tank, and repaired the tire chains, but she's never let me down. My wife and I joke that she married me for the snow blower and I married her for the heated garage. :bounce:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:51 am

Planned obsolescence. The scourge. A way of life that has been orchestrated and perpetuated by big business. I do what I can to recycle and reuse in general. I keep scraps of wood around and always use them. I keep some odd bits and pieces of plastic and metal around because I will invariably use them for some odd, rigging type purpose. **RANT** I avoid buying new things made of plastic if possible (for myself at least) and look for used metal original or used good condition plastic. I use duct tape and super glue to hold broken plastic "things" together. I take things apart and try to repair before I gut the metal innards for scrap and put the plastic cases and coverings in the recycling. So much of what is "planned to fail" is made from...plastic. And plastic...does not just evaporate. It is my understanding that every piece of plastic ever made is still on the planet, unless it has deteriorated and disintegrated. Recycling is the best option, but plastic is still plastic. My point...plastic is a scourge. It is cheap. And we buy cheap things made from plastic for much more than what the parts of the whole are actually worth and then within a very unreasonable period of time we are discarding these items due to failure and then we go back and get another from...dare I say WalMart or other similar entity. I was a grunt in plastics factories in my early 20's and have done what I can since to recycle as much as possible and to use as little plastic as possible. No easy task. My own children chide me stating what might just be the obvious, "You can't change anything and it does no good." Well kids, principle...principle. I will not be dissuaded.
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:49 am

jimbear wrote:Planned obsolescence. The scourge. A way of life that has been orchestrated and perpetuated by big business. I do what I can to recycle and reuse in general. I keep scraps of wood around and always use them. I keep some odd bits and pieces of plastic and metal around because I will invariably use them for some odd, rigging type purpose. **RANT** I avoid buying new things made of plastic if possible (for myself at least) and look for used metal original or used good condition plastic. I use duct tape and super glue to hold broken plastic "things" together. I take things apart and try to repair before I gut the metal innards for scrap and put the plastic cases and coverings in the recycling. So much of what is "planned to fail" is made from...plastic. And plastic...does not just evaporate. It is my understanding that every piece of plastic ever made is still on the planet, unless it has deteriorated and disintegrated. Recycling is the best option, but plastic is still plastic. My point...plastic is a scourge. It is cheap. And we buy cheap things made from plastic for much more than what the parts of the whole are actually worth and then within a very unreasonable period of time we are discarding these items due to failure and then we go back and get another from...dare I say WalMart or other similar entity. I was a grunt in plastics factories in my early 20's and have done what I can since to recycle as much as possible and to use as little plastic as possible. No easy task. My own children chide me stating what might just be the obvious, "You can't change anything and it does no good." Well kids, principle...principle. I will not be dissuaded.

I agree with everything you mentioned about planned obsolescence. It's obscene how much fails in such little time.

For what it's worth, ABS plastics can be glued very well with MEK or other similar solvents. I've kept a great deal of things together this way. Good luck getting it in California though.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:48 pm

When I was in Afghanistan last year, I put together broken desk chairs since we could not get new ones anytime soon. I like to buy used things and make them work again, I have bought, fixed and sold over 15 Roomba's so far. I fixed my son's iPhone when he literally smashed the front digitizer and back glass. I sold that too. I prefer used Mac's because they are built to last, and if they are broken they can be fixed if you know what to do.

I hate buying anything new unless it is clothing or my wife demands it!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:30 pm

I wish stuff were made with some sort of pride? respect?
Colion
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:58 pm

Amskeptic wrote:I wish stuff were made with some sort of pride? respect?
Colion
It's interesting, how apart from my older VW, the only really quality items I own are hobby-ish items. I used to photograph events with plastic cameras and plastic based lenses, but now that I only shoot occasionally (and for fun) I was able to sell all the bodies and lenses to buy a tiny little metal rangefinder and one lens. It's a thing of beauty, and I feel like it will outlast me. My speakers for my music setup were hand made in Germany, and they're wooden enclosures and weigh waaay too much for their size.

Other than that? Yeah… Nothing……

My iPod repair went well- the only button on the thing (which makes it a fairly important button…) became stuck down. There is a spacer on the inside that is, I kid you not, from the factory, held on with double sided tape. When I pulled the tape out to superglue the spacer in place, the button wouldn't contact the electronic space. Now I see the double stick tape performed a spacer function too. Sigh.

What to do? Gumout to clean the tape residue off, a slice of a business card for a new spacer, and Permatex Aviation to hold the spacer to the button facade and to the actual electronic button. Superglue was the original glue of choice, but it dried too quick for me to get the assembly together and make sure everything lined up.

Not my picture, but this whole image is about 2cm wide. The spacer is only a few mm square.

1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:29 am

asiab3 wrote: It's interesting, how apart from my older VW, the only really quality items I own are hobby-ish items.
Because I am often out in the middle of nowhere, I have *time* to resurrect things. The relationship with your Things out in the middle of nowhere is stronger, it is based on critical need. I relate with the material universe, and develop an affection for the things that have travelled through life with me. I prefer this over the mindless almost unconscious use of things.

When ensconsed in the middle of rushrushrush consumer hive, you just chuck the broken and buy the replacement. I do not, have not, and never will like such a castaway meaningless use of things.
Colin
(this goes for people too)

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:47 am

Amskeptic wrote:
asiab3 wrote: It's interesting, how apart from my older VW, the only really quality items I own are hobby-ish items.
Because I am often out in the middle of nowhere, I have *time* to resurrect things. The relationship with your Things out in the middle of nowhere is stronger, it is based on critical need. I relate with the material universe, and develop an affection for the things that have travelled through life with me. I prefer this over the mindless almost unconscious use of things.

When ensconsed in the middle of rushrushrush consumer hive, you just chuck the broken and buy the replacement. I do not, have not, and never will like such a castaway meaningless use of things.
Colin
(this goes for people too)
yes here too, to convene with one,'s basic kit and pare down, or perfect when away from the drone of the consumer hive.right time for renewing focus and function.
the chatchkies, and gizmos are a familiar sight in other's places, they don't get away enough?
America's two weeks of the typically employed vacation..I wonder if France still takes off all of July...

hoping to get clear of "here" shortly a small trip will begin the healthy cycle again..
..which reminds me. a thought I had about "His Circular Driving Itinerance" and what effects he stows aboard..
A.) kind of clothing kit is in the Colin foot locker..like how many. pairs of soxs etcetc. Packing light is an art no?
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:05 pm

Boxcar wrote: ..which reminds me. a thought I had about "His Circular Driving Itinerance" and what effects he stows aboard..
A.) kind of clothing kit is in the Colin foot locker..like how many. pairs of soxs etcetc. Packing light is an art no?
Can't speak for the IAC Help Desk, but when my brother and I took 5 weeks to explore "out west" about 25 years ago, we found we really only needed clothes for about 4-5 days, as about that was our cadence for laundry. I travel frequently for work; 2 pairs of pants, 3 shirts, and 5 sets of underwear, socks, and T-shirts, and you are good to go (in a pinch you can hand wash underwear/socks by hand in a sink, t-shirts let you stretch the use of shirts an extra day).
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Boxcar wrote: . ..which reminds me. a thought I had about "His Circular Driving Itinerance" and what effects he stows aboard...
I am famously challenged in all things sartorial.
There are legions of truly awful photographs of my using Levis jeans down to their last threads, then hacking them into "shorts", then wearing them down to lint. That is how I endure temperatures in the 100s and still manage to pull engines and transaxles and torsion bars, too.
Unfortunately, I am so old and fat and out of shape now that I offend my own damaged sense of dignity.
ColinNoSpringChicken

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:09 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Boxcar wrote: . ..which reminds me. a thought I had about "His Circular Driving Itinerance" and what effects he stows aboard...
There are legions of truly awful photographs of my using Levis jeans down to their last threads, then hacking them into "shorts", then wearing them down to lint. That is how I endure temperatures in the 100s and still manage to pull engines and transaxles and torsion bars, too.
Unfortunately, I am so old and fat and out of shape now that I offend my own damaged sense of dignity.
ColinNoSpringChicken

Hey Colin ... whatchya' wearin' besides your t-shirt turban in that pic :bootyshake:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:35 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote: Hey Colin ... whatchya' wearin' besides your t-shirt turban in that pic :bootyshake:

It was a hot hot day in New Mexico off Interstate 10 when I pulled onto a reservation road up the hill to this cow watering station/car wash . . .

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:43 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
ColinNoSpringChicken

Hey Colin ... whatchya' wearin' besides your t-shirt turban in that pic :bootyshake:
Re serpentine driving swami Colin Pic: mmm, safe to say another great bus,bust,mega NM sky portrait..(re troll FDB retort: it isnt framed by the lens,my curiousity stops on a dime.)

My takeaway Basic Temperate Climate KIT to be installed there in,is set at 5ea) sets of sox,drawers, tshirts,2ea)trow, 2ea)button down shirts,1ea) grizzled sweatshirt, 1ea) scottish wool sweater,1ea) jumper. 1ea)running KIT. Two towels, Two washcloths,soap,toiletries.

rgds what/ how much to pack thanks For feral/Mad Maxesque hints Colin, and civil though dated roadkit,Troll from Downbelow (time for a recertification?)

damn fine flatland weather, just need a bit of dosh, and tenant mess cleared, and im heading for VT/NH/Maine via eastern LI.
Oh thats as soon as ski areas start shuttering, but it may be a while yet..
sorry to threadJACK..!
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:18 pm

It's OK. My son's friend Greg said to me a couple of days ago, "Hey, I hear the guy with the Daisy Dukes is coming down soon."

By the way, milled nose cone will be ready Tuesday. I'll have coffee waiting on ya. Not like the first time, when I disappeared right after we shook hands.
Colin asked my wife, "Where did he go?"
My wife said,"I don't know."
Colin, perturbed, sat down at the dining room table and began to draw VW bus parts.
I had gone out to get Hot coffee, as I had figured that was a firm prerequisite to Colin working.
I think it took until about noon until he allowed that I was a serious, hands on guy.