Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: Never Say Never

Post by Westy78 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:45 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
hippie wannabe wrote:…it becomes a simple matter of optimizing the dollars earned per unit of suck.
This is so true.

But even today- I was called away from my lunch break to retrieve a cell phone out of a lake. Sometimes we aren't in charge of The Suck.
This . . . is a story that must be developed a little.
:happy1:

Reminds me of the time I was told to go look for my bosses dental retainer which she had thrown into the trash dumpster with her lunch container. I believe I told her there was no way I was digging through trash for her IIRC.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:56 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
hippie wannabe wrote:…it becomes a simple matter of optimizing the dollars earned per unit of suck.
This is so true.

But even today- I was called away from my lunch break to retrieve a cell phone out of a lake. Sometimes we aren't in charge of The Suck.
This . . . is a story that must be developed a little.
:happy1:
Reader's Digest Version:
I was taking lunch outside my shop to avoid small talk and read VW websites. An "emergency" phone call came in and I fished a customer's iPhone out of the lake that my position shouldn't ever be in.

Developed a little more?
I work at a certain LEGO-themed children's theme park. (If you ever want to see a great spectrum of the human race outside of Walmart, head to a childrens' theme park.) My department is design and building oriented, and we have one phone. It's only used to call out to vendors for parts and info. 9 months on this job and the phone rings for the first time. I answered it cautiously, "Hello this is…"

"Holy crap this woman dropped her phone in the lake and is screaming bloody murder please come get it out before she loses it any more."

So grabbed my uncooked rice box (not the first phone in the lake,) donned my apprentice's wading boots, and trudged out through the water, weaving in and out of R/C boats on a mission to "Hey Kyle give you a dollar if you hit that guy!" I picked up the phone, which had to have been underwater for at least 5 minutes, plopped it in the rice, and gave it back to the owner with a smile. I received a death stare that honestly made it feel like I was at fault for this whole mishap.

Now I'm out a lunch break, I've got the Catholic Guilt hanging on my shoulders, and my hotline to Bus Depot and WW apparently receives calls too!

It's ok though, because The Suck balances out some times, and I get paid to play with toys.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:36 pm

Well to date, I'm not sure where on the The Suck spectrum I'm at. Whizzed in a cup for them today, and signed the paperwork for them to run a background check on me. Not worried about the background check, and while I am far from chronic, I do indulge in a toke or two most evenings. While that is now perfectly legal in the state of Washington, I don't think that affects the drug policies of employers as it should. Time will tell. Providing I clear those hurdles, I've got a job, at 60 cents more an hour for their starting wage for my "associate" position because of prior experience.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:41 pm

ruckman101 wrote:I've got a job, at 60 cents more an hour for their starting wage for my "associate" position because of prior experience.
neal
When you hire me, I will bring up "prior experience" and I shall afix a gaze of such world-weary experiencialness, you will give me a .60 boost too.

You: "So Mr . . (paper shuffle) . . Kellogg is it? What sort of experience do you bring to this oil change associate position?"

Colin: " I tried to find an oil fill cap once. No really, I almost found it."

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:58 pm

Soon they will own your nipples. "Oh we just need a sample, oh just a small taste". And that will be that.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:09 pm

Looks like a no go. A toke or two in the evening renders me unfit, despite it being perfectly legal. Guess I'll drown my sorrows in a fifth of bourbon and break out my heroin and meth stash.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:10 pm

But my nipples are safe for the time being.

neal

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:27 pm

@#)%)@)%% walmart.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:36 pm

Drug tests are stupid and useless. You could have alcohol poisoning, a heroin overdose, and be out of your mind on meth, and test clean a few days later. But becasuse THC is fat-soluable, one joint and you're dirty for weeks.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:25 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Looks like a no go. A toke or two in the evening renders me unfit, despite it being perfectly legal. Guess I'll drown my sorrows in a fifth of bourbon and break out my heroin and meth stash.

neal
I'm sympathetic to economic needs, but that feels like the universe/the Great Mind in the Sky telling you to keep looking. That said, I lived in Oregon for years, so I know how hard it is to find work there. That's why we're still here in So Cal (well, and the weather. Low 90s and dry today... oh. yeah.)

Tuck into the good stuff, and get back at it in a day or two. Good things await.

Mike

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:17 pm

I'm in Washington state now, so it's perfectly legal. But the issue has already been to court and employers can still fire/not-hire based on a positive marijuana drug test. So it goes. It defies logic, but there it is. Thanks for the encouraging words all.

neal