My 7.3 liter Turbo Diesel makes my bus seem quiet!!!

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

My 7.3 liter Turbo Diesel makes my bus seem quiet!!!

Post by Mr Blotto » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:40 pm

Last fall I bought a low-mile Ford F-350 4x4 with a 7.3 liter turbo diesel engine in it as a carrier to a drill rig for my company. Man, I used to think my bus was loud! There is only 50k miles on it, and every expert I take it to says it is perfect and that is just the way they sound. On long hauls, I have started wearing ear plugs.

It really is a great engine though - my rig is about 11,000 pounds, and I can still accelerate strong while going uphill. Those particular engines seem to have a pretty good reputation.

Perhaps I should carry a pair of earplugs in the bus too!
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

weisswurst
Addicted!

Re: My 7.3 liter Turbo Diesel makes my bus seem quiet!!!

Post by weisswurst » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:56 am

Mr Blotto wrote:Last fall I bought a low-mile Ford F-350 4x4 with a 7.3 liter turbo diesel engine in it as a carrier to a drill rig for my company. Man, I used to think my bus was loud! There is only 50k miles on it, and every expert I take it to says it is perfect and that is just the way they sound. On long hauls, I have started wearing ear plugs.

It really is a great engine though - my rig is about 11,000 pounds, and I can still accelerate strong while going uphill. Those particular engines seem to have a pretty good reputation.

Hello Mr. Blotto as the proud owner of the 2006 Amarillo edition of the same truck allow me to bestow on you the best diesel additive I have used yet to date! I'm very happy with this product! It's called Opti-lube and I starting using it in my old VW diesels to replicate the diesel from the 80's lubricity (yes, it is a real word) :geek: since all you can buy today is ULSD which has ALOT less sulfer and can't react properly to the nickel metals in the engine and fuel system therefore shorting the life and sometimes the seals of some engines too by shrinking them! :angryfire:
The extra lubricant the old fuel provided also would quiet the engine down a bit especially on cold start ups too.
I now use it in ALL my diesels including my old tractor which I heard it quiet down as I added it to the existing fuel while running it.
You can order it in many sizes and mix it 1/4 ounce to 1/2 ounce per gallon, on the truck I mix it at the maximum for best results.
Also you will get some more MPG's too, I average about 2-5 depending on my foot! :pirate:
link: http://opti-lube.com/xpd-diesel-fuel-im ... oduct.html
Oh yeah and as far as earplugs, get ready to have to turn your truck off at the drive up window cause they can't hear you order the food! :banghead:
Jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:51 am

weisswurst wrote:
Mr Blotto wrote:Last fall I bought a low-mile Ford F-350 4x4 with a 7.3 liter turbo diesel engine in it as a carrier to a drill rig for my company. Man, I used to think my bus was loud! There is only 50k miles on it, and every expert I take it to says it is perfect and that is just the way they sound. On long hauls, I have started wearing ear plugs.

Hello Mr. Blotto as the proud owner of the 2006 Amarillo edition of the same truck allow me to bestow on you the best diesel additive I have used yet to date! I'm very happy with this product! It's called Opti-lube and I starting using it in my old VW diesels to replicate the diesel from the 80's lubricity (yes, it is a real word) :geek: since all you can buy today is ULSD which has ALOT less sulfer and can't react properly to the nickel metals in the engine and fuel system therefore shorting the life and sometimes the seals of some engines too by shrinking them! :angryfire:
The extra lubricant the old fuel provided also would quiet the engine down a bit especially on cold start ups too.
I now use it in ALL my diesels including my old tractor which I heard it quiet down as I added it to the existing fuel while running it.
You can order it in many sizes and mix it 1/4 ounce to 1/2 ounce per gallon, on the truck I mix it at the maximum for best results.
Also you will get some more MPG's too, I average about 2-5 depending on my foot! :pirate:
link: http://opti-lube.com/xpd-diesel-fuel-im ... oduct.html
Oh yeah and as far as earplugs, get ready to have to turn your truck off at the drive up window cause they can't hear you order the food! :banghead:
Jeff
Thanks so much for the additive tip! I have always avoided additives, but this is my first time with a diesel, so what the heck! I will try it out. I laughed out loud at the drive-up window comment....I recently pulled thru Starbucks to get my daily Venti Pike, and when I got to the window a frappucinno was waiting for me :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :flower: .
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:17 am

Mr Blotto wrote:I recently pulled thru Starbucks to get my daily Venti Pike, and when I got to the window a frappucinno was waiting for me :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :flower: .
I pulled through McDonalds to get a cup of black coffee in MY VOLKSWAGEN BUS, and when I got to the window, a cup of black coffee was waiting for me.
ColinWhat?WhyAreYouLookingAtMe?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:48 am

I've always considered that the atrocious noise levels emitted by North American diesels (I'm looking at YOU, Cummins, Ford) was a sales gimmick. Google search term "manly" :study:

Quiet diesel motors are out there. The Mitsubishi diesel in the GM Duramax makes half the noise of the competition. The VW Golf diesel I drove in France was virtually indistinguishable, sound-wise, from the gas version. The 2.7L i5 CDI Merc diesel in Frito purrs like a kitten.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:35 pm

glasseye wrote:I've always considered that the atrocious noise levels emitted by North American diesels (I'm looking at YOU, Cummins, Ford) was a sales gimmick. Google search term "manly" :study:

Quiet diesel motors are out there. The Mitsubishi diesel in the GM Duramax makes half the noise of the competition. The VW Golf diesel I drove in France was virtually indistinguishable, sound-wise, from the gas version. The 2.7L i5 CDI Merc diesel in Frito purrs like a kitten.

Agreed! My wife's jetta sport wagon TDI is very quiet and gets mid-40'smpg too :thumbleft:
My ford superduty, not so much! :pale:
Jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."