No Spark from Coil

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

No Spark from Coil

Post by hambone » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:46 pm

Well this is actually for a '58 Chevy truck, I hope I don't break the forum....
Hasn't been started in 3 years. Clean points, most connections clean. 11.5v at coil hot lead, drops to 9.5 when cranking. No spark from coil wire. Occasionally you get 1 spark when you first start cranking, but that's it. Bad coil? I am chasing my tail, not sure how to troubleshoot old GM wiring issues. I'd imagine it's all the same though. The battery is 12.5 volts BTW and the engine seems to turn over OK. The coil looks new-ish, but is smaller than stock.
Any ideas would be appreciated! Sorry yes I know, but you guys are great. :thumbleft:
I gotta go in there and replace the points n condenser, old are always suspect. Points gap, etc. A new coil too.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: No Spark from Coil

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:01 pm

hambone wrote:Well this is actually for a '58 Chevy truck, I hope I don't break the forum....
Hasn't been started in 3 years. Clean points, most connections clean. 11.5v at coil hot lead, drops to 9.5 when cranking. No spark from coil wire. Occasionally you get 1 spark when you first start cranking, but that's it. Bad coil? I am chasing my tail, not sure how to troubleshoot old GM wiring issues. I'd imagine it's all the same though. The battery is 12.5 volts BTW and the engine seems to turn over OK. The coil looks new-ish, but is smaller than stock.
Any ideas would be appreciated! Sorry yes I know, but you guys are great. :thumbleft:
I gotta go in there and replace the points n condenser, old are always suspect. Points gap, etc. A new coil too.

Run a temporary hot wire from the battery to the coil (+). Does it start?
You might have a wire from the starter solenoid to the coil that provides full battery voltage during cranking only, then a ballast wire provides limited voltage when the engine is running.
You would ascertain this by the presence of two little wires at the solenoid.

If it is a six cylinder, you can figure out an appropriate dwell mathematically.
360/6 (six cylinder) /2 = 30* optimum theoretical dwell add a couple, so figure that 30-35* dwell. Some GM distributors of that era allow you to dynamically set the dwell while the engine is running, a lovely feature.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:56 pm

I'd at least check & gap the points and look at the condenser before pointing at the coil .. and make sure the points are actually *opening* when the engine cranks, too. :cyclopsani:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:14 am

tristessa wrote:I'd at least check & gap the points and look at the condenser before pointing at the coil .. and make sure the points are actually *opening* when the engine cranks, too. :cyclopsani:
Yes, a bad condensor is an evil thing, like a mockingbird, it imitates bad gasoline.
Colin

hambone

Post by hambone » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:44 am

Thank you gents. Sorry to dirty up the IAC. I will be back at it later in the week.
Interesting car though, panel wagon with wood floors in back. VW like in its simplicity, but built more stoutly.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:35 pm

hambone wrote:Thank you gents. Sorry to dirty up the IAC. I will be back at it later in the week.
Interesting car though, panel wagon with wood floors in back. VW like in its simplicity, but built more stoutly.
It only "dirties up" the Technical Forums, and I explained why it was perfectly welcome right here in General, yet here we are again, patiently plowing past this publically posted petulant pustule of a puerile petty pity party?

Now . . . about "more stoutly".
Spindly column shifters used to pre-fetch two gears at once.
Rocker arms used to get poked through by push rods
U-joints used to plop propeller shaft onto the pavement.
VW front suspensions were second to none.
Anyways, thanks for playing . . . I am out of "p" words.
Colin : P

hambone

Post by hambone » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:13 pm

What the hell can I say to that? "Here we go again"? What exactly makes this a "pity party"? My feelings about GM trucks "dirtying up the IAC" have nothing to do with my mental state, wrecked though it is, nor does it have anything to do with anything.
What the hell.
It is raining. I need a break.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:54 pm

"Pretty pithy points postulated in that post, partner!", he protested.
"Pshaw.", came the reply.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:00 pm

By the way, I have a 1955 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton. Colin is right on about the spindly column shifter, and the shifter box. I have messed with that piece of crap more than any single thing on my bus. It delights on seizing up on me and sticking in first gear whenever I get into heavy Miami traffic on US 1. I am convinced it knows.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:15 pm

Jivermo wrote:By the way, I have a 1955 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton. Colin is right on about the spindly column shifter, and the shifter box.
Makes me glad the '54 I owed twelve years ago had a top-loader 4-speed. First was "granny" and useless for daily driving, but none of this column-shift nonsense to fool with. :cyclopsani:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:55 am

hambone wrote:What exactly makes this a "pity party"?
"dirty", exactly.
Almost any word but "dirty" would change the tenor from piteous self-flagellation to just another day on the IAC.
It was an outstanding choice of word though, if you wanted to corral my attention. Now that it is here, please do keep us updated on that filthy damn no spark.
:sunny:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:57 am

tristessa wrote:
Jivermo wrote:By the way, I have a 1955 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton. Colin is right on about the spindly column shifter, and the shifter box.
Makes me glad the '54 I owed twelve years ago had a top-loader 4-speed. First was "granny" and useless for daily driving, but none of this column-shift nonsense to fool with. :cyclopsani:
I have always enjoyed top loaders, like that Model A I got to drive in Pennsylvania.