Heading Into The Frozen Hinterlands

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Heading Into The Frozen Hinterlands

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:10 am

I have enjoyed Pensacola tremendously for its lolling-in-the-sun flavor, music in the park, several parades, and a picture perfect old southern Law Firm which has been a perfect work environment for some real focus on the task at hand. But now I must head north to do the Holiday Visits a little late the better which to avoid Holiday Traffic and Holiday Manic Advertising, and as for my usual Starbucks Holiday Music Fury, I have not been in a Starbucks for a whole year now. I will be hanging out in the Catskills until the end of February, drinking in the companionship of people who I love, yes, but who unexpectedly love me back. The cold is creeping in relentlessly as I head north.

I had to do a test fit of my new hood mascot:

Some of you may remember last winter's Cat Dilemma, where I had befriended a white cat who got all soft on me to the scorn of his half-feral cat friends. The dilemma is back:

Stopped by at my brother's. We discussed our Individual Evolution in the context of our Social Evolution in the context of our respective Business Evolutions in the context of our Current Political Climate.
Then we watched Elyseum, a what could have been promising movie starring Matt Damon and Jodie Foster, marred by Obviousness of its Polemics and a mawkish sub-plot.

Alexus has had no hiccups as yet. In this cold, I would as soon set it afire as fix it:

Currently on Interstate 75 northbound to visit Cindy and fam in my old stomping grounds of upstate New York. Then I shall visit my sister in Brooklyn and an old friend who I last saw in 1971 when I was 12. If there are photographs of us from then, I will post them with a current photograph of us. THEN I shall get to work stacking wood, cleaning out the wood stove, clearing the walk, doing some art for Ramona, and trying a different tack with my book. I shall write the next chapter (s) without interrupting the flow with all of the usual twelve-to-fifteen hour picture drawing marathons every two pages.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Heading Into The Frozen Hinterlands

Post by hambone » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:32 pm

Safe travels out there.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:15 am

"Mawkish"...great word! I sure appreciate a person who milks the language for its wonderful gems. I've always been partial to "miasma", although the opportunities to use it are few, and far between.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:00 am

16* this morning as I head from Rochester NY to Catskills to NYC for New Years Eve/Day. I have no photographs in these temperatures. I am cocooned in the Lexus, braving the elements only at gas stops. If the oil is low, I sure don't know about it. The tires, these poor Michelin X-Ice snow tires that have seen thousands upon thousands of miles of 80 mph interstate driving in 70-80* temperatures, are down to their wear bars (with eaten shoulders, too), but I must ask them to do real snow duty now. I ask only that they make it til Georgia where they will be permanently retired as I put on a set of Michelin Harmony SooperCushyOldManLexusPillowCushions.

Drive safe, folks! There are people who do not understand the Laws of Physics any more. They arm their kinetic bombs, then set to work putting on make-up, texting their best friends, and trying to control their Burger King SloppyFat SlitherGrease burger. Rules are, no ketchup on their Christmas sweater, even if it means a gory bleed-out upside down over the guardrail. Oy oy oy.
Colin

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:33 am

-16F here when I left the house for work this morning. Brrr.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:32 pm

:cheers: "Alexus" :cheers:

Welcome to the (sorta) GWN. Hope you find a wood stove to sit by and a cat to sit on you.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:43 pm

glasseye wrote::cheers: "Alexus" :cheers:

Welcome to the (sorta) GWN. Hope you find a wood stove to sit by and a cat to sit on you.
Sitting by the wood stove, cat is visiting elsewhere, stew is on the stove, snow due in 12 hours.
I have some photographs to upload when I decide to brave the cold and get the camera out of the car.
Colin

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Put cold camera in ziplock bag to avoid catastrophic condensation when brought inside.

Peterwhohasmadethismistake.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:12 pm

Amskeptic wrote:

Sitting by the wood stove, cat is visiting elsewhere, stew is on the stove, snow due in 12 hours.
I have some photographs to upload when I decide to brave the cold and get the camera out of the car.
Colin
Mid 70s today. Rode up the hill to where the really rich people live, and got a great view of the somewhat dingy atmosphere in LA. Could still see almost to Long Beach.

A pretty chilly 60 degrees now. Better bring the cat inside, eh?

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:43 am

Amskeptic wrote:

Colin
It's what, 0F so that's not too cold and only 12" of snow is coming. I had my fill in Montanta of temps of 16 to 28F as I am leaving soon for 90f in Suriname. Getting all the cars ready for storage and packing my bags
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:47 pm

th meek sun filters through gossamer lace
yep
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:43 am

According to the gauge in the old BMW, -7 F this morning. Very grateful for the heated steering wheel and hair singing heated seats :). Have some maintenance planned for her on Sat (some gaskets, rear brakes and such)... in my heated garage of course. :geek:

Cleared about 6 inches of snow off the drive last night. high of 15 today. A balmy 29 Saturday, but we are supposed to get another 4-8 inches on Sunday. Which in my contrarian thinking will be the perfect day to go to the international motorcycle show. I figure everyone will go on Saturday to avoid the crumby weather on Sunday, and I can day dream of sunny summer days with my knees in the breeze.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:07 am

Ok, I have been watching the weather on the East Coast so are you guya buried under snow?
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:23 pm

Bleyseng wrote:Ok, I have been watching the weather on the East Coast so are you guya buried under snow?
The media reports were dire, yes, but here in the Catskills, everybody is just doing what they always do:

The initial snowfall began about 100 miles from my destination:

A too-common sight, out with the old:

More "out with the old":

Toyota has decent enough traction control and ABS to allow relaxed driving:

Bridge over the Ashokan Reservoir, camera freaked its aperture with all of this white:

Made it to the house without undo drama to enjoy the beauty of the new kitchen with snow backlighting:

My cactus is likely to perform a late blossoming after Florida botched its internal calendar, but this plant here seems happy:

Everywhere I look in this house is arty:

It was 3* this morning, and I shovelled the back veranda to the wood pile, shovelled to the cars in the driveway, then shovelled to knock down the snowplow "dam" across the driveway, and built up enough heat that I had to bare my bald pate for some conductive cooling, then had to doff my sweatshirt to stay cool in the cold. Can you believe it, me? little wuss itinerator who wilts in the 50* chill? I couldn't.
Beautiful but cold now that I am not exercising.
Happy January 3rd, everybody, MSNBC has just reminded me that this is an "election year".
Colin

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:10 pm

Lovely images but WHERE'S THE KITTIE? :bounce:

3F is cold, man. :pale: