Big MAC attack

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Big MAC attack

Post by Sylvester » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:00 am

Upon coming home from the war, I upgraded my home PC to an iMac 21 in screen. SInce then, I have purchased rather cheaply two older iMacs, one with the single unit with the colors on top, and one with basketball looking base and adjustable screen. I have upgraded the basketball significantly, the other is waiting in the box. I plan on using them in the house as music boxes, so to speak. It is amazing a ten year old iMac can play YouTube videos over wi-fi like new ones can. They look pretty cool, sort of retro Mac I think.

I also invested in used Roombas and a couple of Scoobas, the vacuuming and scrubbing robots. I was always interested in robotics and now I am letting them take over! I love them, so much so I have started buying used ones, refurbishing them and am going to start selling them. People love them, and I want experience fixing and running them. They are pretty cool.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Big MAC attack

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:36 pm

I have one of those adjustable screen iMacs too for iTunes, web surfing etc but it is out of date for a lot of stuff. Wish I could update it more.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:33 am

Bleyseng wrote:I have one of those adjustable screen iMacs too for iTunes, web surfing etc but it is out of date for a lot of stuff. Wish I could update it more.
That is what I am going to use this one for. This is what they look like for those who avoid being assimilated by Macs.

Very retro. Too bad I can't upgrade it past 1 GB of RAM, although for what Mac's do this is pretty good for playing songs on.

Now to get working on the iMac G3.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

jonyem
Getting Hooked!

Post by jonyem » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:49 am

Before I gave away my Bondi Blue iMac G3 I had 10.4 running on it. If I remember correctly. 10.4 was the last PowerPC compatible iteration of OS X.
I kinda miss that dumb little hockey puck mouse that came with those early iMacs.
Late 1973 ASI/Riviera conversion.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:23 pm

A gumdrop Mac. We still have two of those. Running a Mac Mini now, with a second ancient G-5 tower, and a power book. Retiring the G-5 as we have a used 27" iMac from 2009 on the way.

Great machines.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:36 am

Yeah, I got a big box on the floor running 540 ram buss with a whopper 40 gig hard drive from 2004, Windows XP, baby.
ColinHow'BoutThisNew"ElectricityInTheHome",Heh?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:17 am

Amskeptic wrote:Yeah, I got a big box on the floor running 540 ram buss with a whopper 40 gig hard drive from 2004, Windows XP, baby.
ColinHow'BoutThisNew"ElectricityInTheHome",Heh?
I have lots of old equipment we can put in that dinosaur.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:18 am

ruckman101 wrote:A gumdrop Mac. We still have two of those. Running a Mac Mini now, with a second ancient G-5 tower, and a power book. Retiring the G-5 as we have a used 27" iMac from 2009 on the way.

Great machines.

neal
I have a used 2010 iMac I use as my primary Mac. These things never die, they just get upgraded.