Anyone going to the Dream Cruise? ... and can I hitch a ride

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Anyone going to the Dream Cruise? ... and can I hitch a ride

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:45 pm

It's this Saturday. I will probably be making a loop with the family and the bus sometime in the afternoon.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: Anyone going to the Woodward Dream Cruise?

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:23 am

Guess I'm not going after all :pale:

[album]484[/album]

Coming home on the freeway from work the exhaust got extremely loud all of a sudden, loss of power, and wouldn't idle. Hoping it is just what it sounds like - wicked exhaust leak - and not something more serious.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: Anyone going to the Dream Cruise? ... and can I hitch a

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:36 pm

it's fixed. :) Spark plug came completely out?! Changed the oil this morning, gave her, her annual bath, so she's good to go.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Scare me like that. Great to hear the issue was obvious and easily remedied.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:13 pm

Thanks Neal... And for any of you frustrated gearheads out there, the Dream Cruise is a lot of fun. Picture ~ 8 miles of bumper to bumper classics (and some not so classics) rat rods, motorcycles, etc, etc. You get the picture. Typically attracts 1 million plus people and 30,000 classic cars. lots of fun.

Tripod ran like a trooper! Made me (almost) rethink my plans of doing a top end refresh with new heads this winter.

VW buses around here are not very common (only saw one other the entire cruise). But I was still surprised at the amount of attention she got....I mean, she is now where near a pristine Colin specimen; I did give her a bath, but she does show some of her 200k plus miles.

Also, I need to think up a reason to fly out to Portland again for work.... made it to the Lab a few times, but that was years ago. It was cool meeting up with all you folks.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:57 am

Ahhh, missed this the other day, been hella busy.

Hm, I'd be wondering what condition the threads are in after the spark plug hopped out. Hopefully not even minor damage was caused by that.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:54 am

About the spark plug threads.....think I'm ok.

I suspect that the plug may not have been fully seated. The last half of the plug threads were clean, and top half were dirty, as if they were sitting outside the head. When I went to put the plug back in, first 3-4 turns were smooth, then it would bind up....I suspect from carbon build up in the lower threads from the plug not being fully seated. I gently worked the thread back and fourth until I got it fully seated.

It was a 20 min expressway ride to the cruise, then about 2-3 hours idling up Woodward, followed by a 20 min high speed two lane highway ride back to the house - no problems. Will check tightness though.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:29 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:About the spark plug threads.....think I'm ok.

I suspect that the plug may not have been fully seated. The last half of the plug threads were clean, and top half were dirty, as if they were sitting outside the head. When I went to put the plug back in, first 3-4 turns were smooth, then it would bind up....I suspect from carbon build up in the lower threads from the plug not being fully seated. I gently worked the thread back and fourth until I got it fully seated.

It was a 20 min expressway ride to the cruise, then about 2-3 hours idling up Woodward, followed by a 20 min high speed two lane highway ride back to the house - no problems. Will check tightness though.
Good ol' Tripod! It has been a year of spark plug threads in my Itinerary . . . Sluggo? Kubelwagen? And hey Curtis4085, I am serious about how nice and easy I like to be with spark plug torques, so what is the likely reason Troll lost his plug? Was it because it was not snugged at all? Not torqued to 22 ft/lbs like the Bentley says to do? Because it was overtightened at one point and stripped the head threads? My favorite possibility is that someone used Beetle engine short reach plugs once . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:56 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Good ol' Tripod! ...... My favorite possibility is that someone used Beetle engine short reach plugs once . . .
Colin
Yes Alex, I will take "Number one reason why a spark plug won't fully seat into a Type IV head." Suspect that happened in the past, carboned up the threads a bit, and my 'calibrated wrist' told me it was snugged down tight on at least two other occasions.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod