First Brew Begun!

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

First Brew Begun!

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:28 pm

A lovely day yesterday, and I broke out my new toy and got my first batch of IPA started. So close to the Solstice, it has to be a Solstice IPA. From a kit that included specialty grains and fresh whole hops. So far, I think all I forgot to do was measure the specific gravity before I added the yeast. It's bubbling aggressively away today. After it settles down I'll rack it to the carboy and add the final two ounces of hops for the dry hopping. Four ounces used already. Citra hops. Should be ready to bottle over the Fourth of July weekend, and ready for a first taste just before the Hubbard Hop Festival which I am determined to finally make this year.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: First Brew Begun!

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:44 am

ruckman101 wrote:A lovely day yesterday, and I broke out my new toy and got my first batch of IPA started. So close to the Solstice, it has to be a Solstice IPA. From a kit that included specialty grains and fresh whole hops. So far, I think all I forgot to do was measure the specific gravity before I added the yeast. It's bubbling aggressively away today. After it settles down I'll rack it to the carboy and add the final two ounces of hops for the dry hopping. Four ounces used already. Citra hops. Should be ready to bottle over the Fourth of July weekend, and ready for a first taste just before the Hubbard Hop Festival which I am determined to finally make this year.

neal
I lived with a home-brewer in Sylmar CA in the late 80s. Drank some interesting temperature/fermentation misses. When it hits, its great. Good Luck! Maybe we'll see your mug on a national brew?
Sam Adams, make way for Neal Ruckman.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles