School Closings - Snow

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

School Closings - Snow

Post by Mr Blotto » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:47 am

For you southerners, please disregard, and do back into your snow-free warmth =D>

I remember when I was a kid, they didn't close school unless it was literally a blizzard outside when you woke up. Seems like nowadays, they close them way too easiely. On Monday evening, we were notified that my kids pre-school was going to be closed on Tuesday due to the weather. When we got the message, it wasn't even snowing, and when we woke up on Tuesday morning, there was but a light dusting. Come mid-day it was a good mid-western snow storm, but nothing that we all haven't been through.

The fact that they are closing schools based on a FORECAST makes me scratch my bald head. When did we all become so soft? You would think with all the more "all wheel drive" cars on the road now compared to 20-30 years ago, we would be getting less scared to venture out.

Oh, but what fun it was when you did have a "snow day"....oh to be young again....
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: School Closings - Snow

Post by Westy78 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:42 am

Talk about kids getting soft. Ever follow a school bus and watch it stop within sight of the last stop? I'm talking within 100ft. Can't imagine why we have a child obesity problem in this country.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: School Closings - Snow

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:27 pm

(In scratchy, crotchety old man voice)...whhy, when I was a kid, I walked to school in 3 ft of snow..both ways! :bobd:

They do seem more likely to pull the trigger on a snow day....I'm assuming it is b/c we live in a very litigious society. But in retrospect, and in all seriousness, the weather reports DO seem much more accurate now than 30-35 years ago.... at least here in Michigan. I can forgive them for calling based onthe forecast, if the forecast is going to be right ...
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::