Top Gear

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

luftvagon
Old School!

Top Gear

Post by luftvagon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:56 pm

:cussing: Top Gear boys beat-up a perfectly fine, and what looks like a restored Bay bus... :angryfire:
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

Muthashabubu
I'm New!

Re: Top Gear

Post by Muthashabubu » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:14 pm

luftvagon wrote::cussing: Top Gear boys beat-up a perfectly fine, and what looks like a restored Bay bus... :angryfire:
Yeah, I saw that too. Was an early bay to boot. At least it won in the end....I guess.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:31 pm

=(

I guess it's payback, I felt for me, after laughing at all of the stupid cars they busted up in previous episodes. Eventually everyone see's something they like ruined....
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:50 pm

luftvagon wrote::cussing: Top Gear boys beat-up a perfectly fine, and what looks like a restored Bay bus... :angryfire:
Got link?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:10 pm

not sure how to watch the episode itself anywhere online for free, but that's the bus they ruin.

they all had to track down the vehicle's they drove while in college. everyone's vehicle was ruined by the end of the episode of course.

I always wanted an Eagle Talon (the one Tanner had in college) when I was in school... a friend had one and they were crazy fast.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Oh that Top Gear. I don't consider the American version a good show. Does sound like something Clarkson and the guys would do on the real show though.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:03 am

Westy78 wrote:Does sound like something Clarkson and the guys would do on the real show though.
Except that Clarkson and May wouldn't sully their show with anything as lowly as an aircooled VW without making cracks about Kraut-Cans and Hitler-mobiles.
There was that one hilarious episode, though, where the Stig took Jamie Oliver's 911-powered bay window around the test track while Oliver tried to prepare a meal in the back. I would have loved to see more about that conversion.

But yes, I'm afraid that the American Top Gear doesn't even come close to the BBC production.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:12 pm

SlowLane wrote:
Westy78 wrote:Does sound like something Clarkson and the guys would do on the real show though.
Except that Clarkson and May wouldn't sully their show with anything as lowly as an aircooled VW without making cracks about Kraut-Cans and Hitler-mobiles.
There was that one hilarious episode, though, where the Stig took Jamie Oliver's 911-powered bay window around the test track while Oliver tried to prepare a meal in the back. I would have loved to see more about that conversion.

But yes, I'm afraid that the American Top Gear doesn't even come close to the BBC production.
[old coot - ON]. I will not brook such disrespect for motorcars. If promotes bad habits among our young. Such laziness . . . [old coot - OFF]
Colin
(how did I do?)

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:51 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
SlowLane wrote:

[old coot - ON]. I will not brook such disrespect for motorcars. If promotes bad habits among our young. Such laziness . . . [old coot - OFF]
Colin
(how did I do?)

Well, you can't expect everyone to see a vehicle for more than the machine/utility to go from one location to another that it is ultimately. :dontknow:
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:55 pm

the Rutledge guy on there shows his double cab around here
60 beetle
78 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:02 pm

zabo wrote:the Rutledge guy on there shows his double cab around here
Raise it back up and paint the roof white, and it would look good.
Colin

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Raise it back up, paint the roof white and put stock wheels with hubcaps underneath, and it would look good.
Colin
Fixed that for ya. :cyclopsani:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:21 pm

put the US spec bumpers on to while your at it.

as for bashing the US top gear - I think they do fine given they run their show with 1/50th the budget of the UK top gear.
I enjoy probably 1/3rd of their episodes. im glad the US version ditched the stupid live audience and celebrity interview. I typically skip over that part of the UK show anyway...

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:10 pm

1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:32 pm

watching it is hard unless you use one of the specified TV carriers already....

for anyone that wants to, I put my archived copy up here: Right Click and Download as please

I won't keep it here forever, so download a copy in the next few weeks if you want to see the episode.