Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Forum Stats...upd 1st Qtr p.8

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Feel free to comment.
It feels like the sales curve of the air-cooled Volkswagens.

If you have insights, suggestions, comments, complaints, let's hear them.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

surfdad
I'm New!

Re: Forum Statistics

Post by surfdad » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:04 pm

well your stats don't reflect how many lurkers like myself are out here peeking in the windows. Yep we are out here.....soaking up the good information, laughing at the jokes, and sharing the sadness when members post about lost loved ones and those battling life's darker side. "We" the unaccounted.
Neal
Tikibus

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:10 am

Are we dropping like flies? Heck I am far away from my VW but I am still posting!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:42 am

bring back the santa claus and global warming thread!

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:43 am

My favorite parts of this site have always been the "travel story" portions, primarily Colin's anecdotes from the road but also member posts in the camping section. I know there were valid reasons, but both were lacking this last year. This site is like a big, fragmented novel story and I was eagerly anticipating the 2012 chapter; details of a 1600 powered bus (more familiar to me than the late bays), desert wanderings, diet-coke can shims, halleluiah sunrise mornings and insect-laden misery nights. Unfortunately, I was left feeling like the chapter was pretty sparse and it didn't live up to my hopes so I found myself drifting away a bit.

Any online enterprise needs content to keep folks coming back for more. The technical support offered by this community is great, but routine visitation requires something more. I enjoy the stories and hope we can increase the volume of them this year. In my humble opinion, Colin, you are a master at explaining technical things to people, but your true gift is storytelling. Tech content appeals to a select few, good stories appeal to just about everyone.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:12 am

I find myself agreeing with sped.

Colin I hope you do realize your gift of storytelling and pepper your much awaited book with some of these gems. I think it would go a long way in making for a more enjoyable learning experience as well as providing real life examples of how where and when you may have to tackle these problems.
60 beetle
78 bus

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:12 am

I too gravitate towards the camping thread and the itinerary thread for the trip reports and stories.

Maybe a midwest campout can happen in 2013? We can't let you Portlanders have all the fun.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:45 am

A lot has changed around "here" over the years. I do know the whole "turk" thing turned a LOT of people off, and after that fiasco a lot of "old timers" stopped posting. Also since I quit that horrible desk job my posts are wayyyy down, that must account for something since I was the World's Grandest Poster for years. A lot more of my posts are technical these days - I wouldn't be able to keep Volks Folks alive without the wisdom between these binary walls.
I always pass on the IAC to my Portland Volks Folks customers, not sure how many actually sign up though.

Colin you also know you have a strong personality and some people just don't know how to take you, and move on after getting panty-bunched about misinterpretation.

Since I started the Green Cascadia blog all my camp writing goes there - it has been really important for me to really focus on writing, and the blog has really helped.

Look at it this way: 2012 has more registrations than ever. Potential energy.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:45 am

I agree w Sped. Colin and his story is what drives this site and he has not been as present this past year. I too expected to learn much more about my bus now that Colin was driving a bus w a type 1 engine, but that didnt happen.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:16 pm

Yep. Maybe the old bus turned Colin into a hippy.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:25 pm

1600 buses are like molasses. I like it but it don't move real fast.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:38 pm

I don't know what the "Turk thing" is. I do know that he is gone and that seemed to be what everyone wanted, maybe I'm wrong about that but that was my observation as a self proclaimed outsider.

IMO, there is a cliqueiness to this place that is probably a turnoff to some.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:10 pm

It might just be a general trend. Is it possible to compare the data with other sites?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:31 pm

Klick by proximity alone, all are welcome.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:39 pm

It may be a combination of things.

The "novelty" of having a fabulous site like this has worn off for some.

People relied (and still rely) on this site for tech information...both basic and advanced...and the site was/is successful in teaching us all the basics of keeping our VWs happy, and many don't need the level of "help" they once needed...because they learned (and are learning) things here. How's that for a run-on sentence.

People are using the search function more and finding the info they seek without starting a new topic and/or posting.

People PM those with proven knowledge and expertise to go "straight to the source"

Hambone doesn't post 73.67 times a day .... there's the kicker :geek:

IAC is STILL the BEST VW site going. Don't get discouraged ... just keep doing what you're doing. And when your book is FINALLY ready for sale, traffic will increase :geek:
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011