What I Did After My Vacation . . .

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

What I Did After My Vacation . . .

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:07 pm

Froze my @$$ off, that's what. The last night in Georgia, I slept in Chloe in the storage unit (artificial darkness is squicky). With the battery disconnected, no more clock self-winding clunks, no more fake burglar alarm red led flashing up the ceiling, and a sense that car was going into the deep sleep of winter, pistons and connecting rods and all of those clattering parts frozen in a mid-cycle, but what a great season it was. Stupid cow had such a great time torturing me. Within the last 300 yards of getting it to the storage unit, for example, the generator light just had to go on and mean it. No revving it out this time.

At the laundromat parking lot on Veterans Memorial Parkway,

a) removed brushes (the bottom one WILL punish you if you drop the little screw into the netherworlds of the pulley tins), and looked at the pitted commutator that was pitted because the brush spring had lost enough tension to allow arcing:

b) stuck a strip of 800 grit sandpaper around the 1 1/2" wide strip of Motel 6 room card, started the engine, and c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y inserted the sanding strip on the t-r-a-i-l-i-n-g edge of the window so the commutator would not throw it back up at me (that would be the far right of the upper window, far left of lower window):

c) it is like a game, this remote surgery by mirror. See how nice and shiny that commutator looks? Remember that it is soft copper so clean it up quickly and lightly if you want a full lifespan out of the generator:

d) new brushes at the top, used brushes at the bottom. The brush on the right was my problem-child, always annoyed with oil vapors and a lousy tension spring:

e) although the picture below is primarily for the artsy aspect, I guess it is also the "clean the holder" picture. Clean the holders and the commutator after the sanding procedure of all graphite dust. I used, oh I dunno . . . GumOut carb spray on a paper towel?

This game will make you giddy with delight. You are trying to hold a slippery spring to the side with a little screwdriver........
........ as you insert a slippery brush upside down into a rectangular hole with a mirror balancing precariously as your lower back vertebrae all progressively play "pseudospondylolisthesis". Be sure to engage the spring end in the depression on the top of the brush! Remember! Left is right visually as you go right to make it appear to go left up is down and down is up. Ignore your back pain:

f) there's the new brush installed.

g) Now you have to remote-mirror direct the braided copper brush lead to its terminal. Do not let it un-twist as you turn it, it needs to turn towards tighter so that the contact between the strands assists in current-carrying duties. You also need to keep the edge of the rectangular screw hole end from touching anything. Like I said, this will make you @!*@ing giddy:

h) add taking a picture with a gravity-infected camera while getting the bottom brush lined up. Here's the tightening of the little upside down screw into the rectangular screw hole into the terminal with the braided brush lead rotated tighter (the real hand is at the top):

Here is the upper brush lead spring being delicately moved aside in preparation for tickling in the upper brush:

i) the upper brush lead here must be carefully positioned, there is a greater danger of contact with the generator body up here:

This job will take you about one extended wash cycle at the laundromat.

Made it all the way to North Carolina in Alexus before the vaunted luxury form-fitting seat and my pseudospondylolisthetic back got into an argument. By Scranton PA, I could barely crawl out of the car. Culture shock and thermal shock and collapsed vertebrae shock! Last night, I begged for ibuprofen and wine for dinner:

This morning, I wondered anew, like I frequently do, what am I doing in this snow and mist and dripping pine needles? Wasn't I in sunshine and 70* just 96 hours ago???
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: What I Did After My Vacation . . .

Post by hambone » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:26 pm

I am sorry that generator is giving you so much trouble, doubly-so because its sister is installed on my bus.
Are you sitting still this winter?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:12 pm

so why must you avoid contact with the generator body?
60 beetle
78 bus

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:32 pm

zabo wrote:so why must you avoid contact with the generator body?
I'd think that you would pump AC through everything instead of having it go through the VReg.

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:39 am

so the battery still connected..
60 beetle
78 bus

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:59 am

I think he just means to avoid contact in the installed position. It shouldn't be an issue while you're installing it.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:13 am

Amskeptic wrote:This morning, I wondered anew, like I frequently do, what am I doing in this snow and mist and dripping pine needles? Wasn't I in sunshine and 70* just 96 hours ago???
Colin
That place looks cozy. Real fires in a fireplace do help. At least you get a fireplace, where I am going it is all portable heaters and such.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:15 pm

sped372 wrote:I think he just means to avoid contact in the installed position. It shouldn't be an issue while you're installing it.
ah-i was envisioning a game of operation.
60 beetle
78 bus

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:48 pm

sped372 wrote:I think he just means to avoid contact in the installed position. It shouldn't be an issue while you're installing it.
Still I disconnect the battery just in case I screw up...yes, that does happen!

It looks like a great place for the summertime but I wouldn't venture there in the winter building fires and all that crap now. Just too cold for these tropical bones to ever get warm. It dropped down to 88-90F which is cooler here so I can actually work all day long in jeans and not die.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:33 pm

Bleyseng wrote:
It's always good practice to disconnect it. So many energized points are unfused that it just isn't worth the risk to leave it connected.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:13 pm

sped372 wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:
It's always good practice to disconnect it. So many energized points are unfused that it just isn't worth the risk to leave it connected.
Hi! You don't need to disconnect the battery, the generator is out of the circuit when the ignition is off. The brush lead must stay away from the opening as you position it and tighten. It would indeed short out the generator IF it is the live side brush. Let's not guess which one it is, make both miss the generator body.

Today? Woke up at 7:00, cleaned up the dog scat, loaded up the hoop with firewood, cleaned out and cranked up the wood stove, fixed the ash bucket, braced the arbor supports, played the piano (needs another tune) lubricated all the old door hinges, cleaned the kitchen counter, emptied the dishwasher, began to clean the studio I shall inhabit . . . . oh, and got the laptop out of the car.
Colin :shaking2:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:15 pm

When I see you so gracefully diagnose and repair your bus, it makes me realize what a pipe dream it is that a guy like me would ever be able to un-strand myself if my bus were to break down, say, driving across the Navajo reservation. You are the master.

And I'm in love with that property. I think winter is the perfect time to cozy up there.

Don't forget to shout at me the next time you're near Durango.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Necessity is a Mother, you'd be surprised what you can pull out of your ass when the heat's on.
Good luck with your move BTW, lots of changes in your life. Always wish you the best, though I forget.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:50 am

Hopefully you have hot water, I don't even have hot water.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:17 am

Colin,
Are you wintering in Upstate, NY? Looks like a comfy little joint...
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup