What is your state's copycat car? (Warning: stupid post)

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Hippie
IAC Addict!

What is your state's copycat car? (Warning: stupid post)

Post by Hippie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:04 pm

Here in Iowa it has to be silver Pontiacs, mostly Grand Prix. They are everywhere.
(I don't know what 1/2 of Iowans will drive when the last of these poops out.)

JLT
Old School!

Re: What is your state's copycat car? (Warning: stupid post)

Post by JLT » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Not sure what you mean by "copycat," but if you mean cars that seem to have no reason for people to drive them except that other people are driving them, then the California state copycat car is probably the Hummer. I mean, we even voted Ahnold (the guy who made it popular) into office, for reasons I can't quite remember.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:32 am

^^^ That's exactly what I mean by copycat car. Well put.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:57 am

Black Kias. They breed like rabbits here

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:34 am

I'm showing my age but I can't at a glance tell the difference between an Accord, a Camry and whatever Hyundai and Kia are selling. My mom told me the same thing 30 years ago. Nothing has any style anymore except the retro-styled Dodge muscle cars which appeal to my nostalgia.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:21 am

Honda Accords here. They are also most stolen cars in Georgia too.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Reid
Getting Hooked!

Post by Reid » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:11 am

All Asian cars look the same to me. I did notice that I parked my red car in a row of 17 white cars at the grocery store, though.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Ya. Most cars/years look about the same to me too. The only difference in Iowa is that they are still mostly domestic branded look-alikes...Like majorly so. For example, I drive a Tacoma and it is the best selling small pickup in the country by far and has been for years...Here it is outnumbered probably 15 to 1 by Ford Rangers and 10 to 1 by Chevy Colorados. The auto parts stores don't carry accessories for the Toyota and I have to order everything online.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:11 pm

I wonder if that's some odd "buy Uh-merican!" mentality? I watch NASCAR. Stop what you're doing and point and laugh. There, I'm out. Anyway, you'd be amazed/surprise/ashamed of the outcry of NASCAR fans against Toyota. Even though Toyota builds has no less than six manufacturing plants here in the U.S., most in Southern states. It's a big, big world! Some don't get it.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Reid
Getting Hooked!

Post by Reid » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:24 pm

I think that people do what their neighbors do. Probably half of my neighborhood drives gold cars. Who goes out looking for a gold car? I work at a Land Rover dealership. Almost all of the trucks that we sell are either black or white, with the occasional silver. People won't even walk near the other colors. We end up trading them to other markets, where odd colors must be desirable.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:09 pm

Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around
Rednecks

Nah, we all have our sports and escapes. It's all good. I like my designed and made in USA Tacoma though. (Can't even get them in Japan, ya know.) I could have bought a Dodge, but it's imported from Mexico, last I knew.
I think the thing in Iowa is that's what daddy drove. I don't really hear any of that old anti-domestic-brand noise around here.

Reid, silver is the standard car color here. They are very hard to see in this, The Drizzle State" most of the year, too.

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:14 pm

Around me, it is anything NEW. Sometimes I feel that I am the only one driving a car that is more than a few years old. Doesn'y anybody keep their cars for more than a few years anymore???

Guess I didn't get the memo!

Jeeze....
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:24 pm

JLT wrote:Not sure what you mean by "copycat," but if you mean cars that seem to have no reason for people to drive them except that other people are driving them, then the California state copycat car is probably the Hummer. I mean, we even voted Ahnold (the guy who made it popular) into office, for reasons I can't quite remember.
I don't know if you can really clump a whole state's worth of driver preference. It seems to break down more by region or even city (and most likely, economic conditions).

For California, at least around here, it would be either Priuses, or pick-up trucks (don't matter what brand, just big honkin' pick-up trucks trundling around that never actually haul a load, but which shine up real purty).
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:40 am

Mr Blotto wrote:Doesn'y anybody keep their cars for more than a few years anymore???

Guess I didn't get the memo!

Jeeze....
Last I read a few years ago, the average age of cars on the road was 9-1/2 years. I see that here, but in areas like Chicago or LA, I figure since cars are a lesser percentage of income/cost of living, is why I notice mostly new cars.
SlowLane wrote:...For California, at least around here, it would be either Priuses, or pick-up trucks (don't matter what brand, just big honkin' pick-up trucks trundling around that never actually haul a load, but which shine up real purty).
Yeah, people who need a pickup to work with can't afford them anymore now that they are luxury kid haulers with leather seats and navigation. Lots of those around here...big 4 door pickups that never haul anything but golf clubs or bags of money to the bank. :scratch:

When I bought my Tacoma (2 door, standard cab, 4 cylinder, with wind-up windows and no cruise control or extras except the much needed CD player, AC, and 4 wheel drive) I looked at Ford Rangers and saw that they had apparently lost touch, too. I think the Ranger is a pretty good little truck, but in order to get 4 x 4, you had to get a bunch of packages I didn't want or need, including an extended cab. It ended up being $27K plus all the extra destinatation, T, T, and L costs. Ridiculous for a little truck. Having had to put tire chains on my old 4 x 2 to get up the driveway and out of the street in the snow, I almost have to have 4 wheel drive.

rallybug
Getting Hooked!

Post by rallybug » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:57 pm

No specific vehicle, but any that fit the MAV criteria - Mormon Assault Vehicle.

Suburbans, Expeditions, Grand Caravans, E-series passenger vans - anything big enough for their 8 kids...

:toothy7:
Harvee the Wonder Bus - a 1979 CA-spec 7-seater bus