Strange places you have been

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Strange places you have been

Post by Sylvester » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:46 am

byproxy wrote:
RussellK wrote:Where have you been that when there wondered why. I have tortured my children thoroughly by dragging them to:

-Russ
ever read bill brysons book--the lost continent? i think youd like it.
I read it, does that count? Also Walk in the Woods, and The Thunderbolt Kid. Bonus points.

I once participated in a Civil War re-enactment in an RV park in Indiana. Gads you Hoosiers are very, very weird.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:29 pm

Sylvester wrote:
byproxy wrote:
RussellK wrote:Where have you been that when there wondered why. I have tortured my children thoroughly by dragging them to:

-Russ
ever read bill brysons book--the lost continent? i think youd like it.
I read it, does that count? Also Walk in the Woods, and The Thunderbolt Kid. Bonus points.

I once participated in a Civil War re-enactment in an RV park in Indiana. Gads you Hoosiers are very, very weird.
i dont know the thunderbolt kid. is it also by bryson? i thought i had everything by him. hes one of my favorites.
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:39 pm

skin daddio wrote:a friend of ours in little rock said i had to cross this mississippi in helena, arkansas. ooph, what was once a busy city on the river turned ugly. most of downtown main street had old brick buildings with trees coming up through them. what a spectacle, majorly left behind odd.
That sounds like a place I would like to cross the Mississippi. I would like any other suggestions of unique crossings. As always "skin daddio" I appreciate your artistic view. Barb
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:05 pm

Elwood wrote:
skin daddio wrote:a friend of ours in little rock said i had to cross this mississippi in helena, arkansas. ooph, what was once a busy city on the river turned ugly. most of downtown main street had old brick buildings with trees coming up through them. what a spectacle, majorly left behind odd.
That sounds like a place I would like to cross the Mississippi. I would like any other suggestions of unique crossings. As always "skin daddio" I appreciate your artistic view. Barb

i'm trying to think of all the places i've crossed the big river and i say that helena is the funkiest. the other side gives you highway 61 just north of clarksdale [john lee hooker among others..] you mean crossing suggestions on the mississippi, or in general like the crossing from aberdeen to shetland?

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:14 pm

byproxy wrote:i dont know the thunderbolt kid. is it also by bryson? i thought i had everything by him. hes one of my favorites.
It was published in 2006, the full title is "The life and times of the Thunderbolt Kid". Great book, I am still going thru A Short History of Nearly Everything. Also a must.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:19 am

Helena has a great Blues fest every October, I've been going for the past 10 yrs.....It's not as run down as this post says, yes there are abandoned building downtown but it's not the majority of them or anything close.....
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:52 am

RSorak 71Westy wrote:Helena has a great Blues fest every October, I've been going for the past 10 yrs.....It's not as run down as this post says, yes there are abandoned building downtown but it's not the majority of them or anything close.....
its not that they were all abandoned, but that there were pretty good sized trees growing through the fallen roofs of quite a few places in the business district.

from http://www.icdc.com/~neubauer/arkansas.htm
Quote:

Then I went into the town of Helena. It was obviously a depressed area, with many dilapidated houses and buildings. I found the town's main street and parked next to Oliver's restaurant. It seemed like the only business open, other than a nearby liquor store.

I left the levee trail and walked into town, where I strolled down the deserted main street. Almost every storefront was empty and long abandoned. A liquor store and a hair salon were both doing good business, and I saw an antiques shop and Fonzies blues club, but that was about it for businesses. Four blocks of empty buildings, the lined parking spaces in front of them all free.

it was too awkweird to get out of my bus and take photos while others sat and drank from a paper bag in that scene.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:18 pm

I repeat I've been there every year for the last 10 in person for at least 3 days and it's not as bad as this states.....The quote from the other web page is describing a small southern town at about 6 pm in the evening, this is normal for it to be deserted, every one is HOME, fixin dinner......Yes Helena is a very poor area.....Do I need to dig out some of my own pictures of Helena/!!!!
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:02 am

Wisconsin Dells...they took a beatiful natual place of sandstone bluffs and forests and turned it into a blaring plastic tourist abomination. It goes on and on and on...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:12 am

Sylvester wrote:
byproxy wrote:i dont know the thunderbolt kid. is it also by bryson? i thought i had everything by him. hes one of my favorites.
It was published in 2006, the full title is "The life and times of the Thunderbolt Kid". Great book, I am still going thru A Short History of Nearly Everything. Also a must.
read a short history a few summers ago. took me a while, but worth it. ill check for the other. i was asking the book store every few months at one point for new ones by bryson, but then i just gave up. thanks for mentioning it.
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:27 pm

Sadly I missed the Asphalt Museum the first time I traveled through Kansas. I spent the next 2 weeks thinking about what I must have missed and promising myself not to be in such a hurry all the time. The next time I went through Kansas I looked forward to a side trip to the Asphalt Museum but the sign was gone. The Asphalt Museum was no more. But there is a barbed wire museum in Kansas. Can you imagine? If any of you have been please share your experience.