road rage

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:25 am

I'm a big fan of the windshield washer fluid treatment. Never done it on the bus, but it works in any car I've had (works best when going faster). When you have a tailgater, you give the windshield a liberal shot of fluid. It shoots over the car in a nice mist, landing on their windshield. It's fun to watch their wipers come on. And, 99.9% of the time, they slow down when you do it. If they resume the tailgating, they get it again. It's usually some a-hole in their freshly detailed Lexus, so they will move out of the way to avoid getting their car soiled with your washer fluid again. When I get a big truck/SUV tailgating at night, I try to adjust my driver's mirror so the reflection of their lights bounces back into their eyes. It's kind of hard to gauge. It's easier to do at a stoplight. They will also usually move, once the light hits them. :joker: The slowing down tactic usually works as well. I lived in the Chicagoland area for 13 years - I do not miss it at all, because of the traffic/road rage. I wouldn't move back just because of that factor.
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve
1978 Country Homes Camper conversion - "Gus"

http://gusthevwbus.com
http://freshandmodern.com/blog

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:28 am

He he..the windshield wiper thing is funny!

Mount one on the back of your roof and aim it right...you got a James Bond tricked out bus :cheers:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:02 am

spiffy wrote:He he..the windshield wiper thing is funny!

Mount one on the back of your roof and aim it right...you got a James Bond tricked out bus :cheers:
Also needs a motion sensor, something gets within 10 feet, a blinking light saying "Back Off" comes on, slight delay to correct bad behavior, followed with a squirt of washer fluid.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:34 am

Sylvester wrote:
spiffy wrote:He he..the windshield wiper thing is funny!

Also needs a motion sensor, something gets within 10 feet, a blinking light saying "Back Off" comes on, slight delay to correct bad behavior, followed with a squirt of washer fluid.
Er tabasco sauce :cyclopsani: MY EYE!!! MY EYE!!!!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:46 am

Back before I learned to ignore, I always thought it would be cool to rig up a sledge hammer head on a 10' long pole. The pole would be hinged and mounted to the rear bumper so it was straight up in the air like a "whip" antenna. It would be held vertical by a latch mounted to the rain gutter, with a cable operated release mechanism for the latch, controlled from the driver's seat.

A bumper sticker would warn that "Tailgaters will be hammered."

If they get too close, pull the cable, release the pole, and send a sledge hammer down on their hood!

In the end, it was an idea that was better left unrealized.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:53 am

vwlover77 wrote:In the end, it was an idea that was better left unrealized.
I can imagine the lawsuits for that, including my sprayer. Wonder if my front passenger side one can be modified to shoot over the Bus.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:21 am

Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:01 am

A buddy in high school had a little old tan Tercel. We rigged it up so that the windshield fluid sprayers shot up and OVER the car and then we filled the reservoir with red Kool-Aid, so offending motorists would not only get squirted but would later find their cars covered in a sugary mess.

Of course, we were young and disrespectful so the gag started out as a way of getting even with tailgaters but evolved into a way to ambush unsuspecting and innocent motorists.

It was a lot of fun, though.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:05 am

vwlover77 wrote:Then, there's this..... Heh....
The exhaust flame thrower kit is a must have for all hot rods. The kit can make up to 20' flames shoot out your exhaust on command. The main control box will control 1 spark plug for optimal performance on single exhaust vehicles. Easy installation and detailed instruction insures compatibility with most exhaust systems. The kit includes control box, activation button, wire loom, and wire diagram. Please note the kit does not include the coil and spark plug needed for installation.

Holy crap! I too can have a Batmobile! Quick Robin, to the Westy!

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:06 am

So Greg. heh heh heh. After all this time. That was you?

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:14 am

RussellK wrote:So Greg. heh heh heh. After all this time. That was you?
Uh-oh.

Uh, nope- made the whole story up.

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeromeaircooled » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:20 am

I spent most of my twenties in big cities but I have been in a small town for a couple of years now. Whenever I go to Phoenix and have to deal with the crazy uptight drivers I actually end up feeling sorry for them. What is so mixed up and crazy in their lives that makes them act this way? What a terrible existence. :pukeleft:
71 Westfalia with a 1600 dual port engine
74 Standard Beetle with the same
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:24 pm

Velokid1 wrote:A buddy in high school had a little old tan Tercel. We rigged it up so that the windshield fluid sprayers shot up and OVER the car and then we filled the reservoir with red Kool-Aid, so offending motorists would not only get squirted but would later find their cars covered in a sugary mess.

Of course, we were young and disrespectful so the gag started out as a way of getting even with tailgaters but evolved into a way to ambush unsuspecting and innocent motorists.

It was a lot of fun, though.
When I was in highschool, we used to re-route the windshield washer hoses to the tops of both rear wheels. At stoplights we would hold down the washer for 10-15 seconds, then when the light turned green we lit up those rear wheels like Funny Cars at a drag strip...good times.

Along those lines, my one alcholic friend routed the windshield washer hose to the inside of the car - but it wasn't windshield solvent running through those lines.... :pale: :pale: :pale: The cops could never get him for open containers in the car....
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:43 pm

Mr Blotto wrote:Along those lines, my one alcholic friend routed the windshield washer hose to the inside of the car - but it wasn't windshield solvent running through those lines.... :pale: :pale: :pale: The cops could never get him for open containers in the car....
I like the way your friend thinks .. er, thought. Not that I would actually do such a thing, but great ingenuity.

I've got a great memory of blasting around Sonoma County in a flatbed '69 Ford with a couple buddies and two 32oz bottles of Miller High Life...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Hippopotabus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hippopotabus » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:55 am

Hippo, I like the way you think
Yea T - I have found the older I get in this impatient world we live in - Exercising Patients is the key to paying back these type of folks. And these are the same people who are addicted to things like Cel phones, Crackberry, I ____ Pods, Wireless environments. Aren't these devices suppose to help you NOT rush around..... :cyclopsani:

It's the folks who don't use these devices that take life in a comfortable stride. One of my SSGT once told me - "After this experience Tuomey live everyday like it's your last"! I keep that promise every damn day. Slower the better.

Those who drink from the pool of consumerisim will have to live with its side effects. NEVER HAPPY WITH WHAT THEY HAVE OR WHERE THEY'RE AT.