Poison Ivy

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Poison Ivy

Post by RussellK » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:50 pm

Any homegrown remedies? As a kid running loose in the country it was accepted as a condition of life. Hadn't had it in years but wandered through some pretty thick patches 2 weeks in a row hiking. I guess I tested the immunity god because now I itch all over. Yeah that's right I said all over.
-Russ

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Poison Ivy

Post by Sylvester » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:09 pm

RussellK wrote:Any homegrown remedies? As a kid running loose in the country it was accepted as a condition of life. Hadn't had it in years but wandered through some pretty thick patches 2 weeks in a row hiking. I guess I tested the immunity god because now I itch all over. Yeah that's right I said all over.
-Russ
Oatmeal baths for itch relief, Aveeno makes packets you put in the bath water. Works wonders. Also heard Arrid extra Dry sprayed on you is great, has a clay in there that absorbs the poison from the skin. Also these sites may help,

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/re ... n-Ivy.html

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Boo ... 47/108.cfm

http://www.myhomeremedies.com/topic.cgi?topicid=165

Good luck, as an adult it is worse than when you were a kid, but now we know much more!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:14 pm

you can make homemade oatmeal bath supplement by putting the oatmeal in the blender and turning it to a powder. gloppy on the way out. flush the drain well after.

If it is a real mind bending itch the 'one at a time rule' may apply. Here's how it works. The brain only wants to deal with one pain at a time. If you have one that has been driving you batty, create another (controlled) pain and the original "goes away". Sounds crazy, I know, but some of those with chronic pain seem to appreciate the thumbtack pressed into the palm if it pulls focus from that nagging back pain (even for just a little while).

Or a hammer to the thumb.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

MidWesty
Getting Hooked!

Post by MidWesty » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:56 pm

We use jewel weed around here. It has a thickish, very purple stalk and grows relatively tall. Ironically enough it's usually found alongside poison ivy. It's "juice" has a similar consistency to aloe. Cut yourself a piece of a stalk and rub the juice on the affected(sp) area. In your case sounds like you may need the whole stalk. It will take the itch out and help dry up the spots. Stuff keeps pretty well too. I once got into a nasty patch of poison ivy doing some hiking in the Red River Gorge in Ky. It was the first day of a 3 day thru hike. I got a huge stalk and cut it into small enough pieces to fit into a ziplock baggie. Got me through what could have turned into a miserable weekend.

Steve
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

'78 Rivi
'63 Ragtop
'73 Double cab (for sale)

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:13 am

MidWesty wrote:We use jewel weed around here. It has a thickish, very purple stalk and grows relatively tall. Ironically enough it's usually found alongside poison ivy. It's "juice" has a similar consistency to aloe. Cut yourself a piece of a stalk and rub the juice on the affected(sp) area. In your case sounds like you may need the whole stalk. It will take the itch out and help dry up the spots. Stuff keeps pretty well too. I once got into a nasty patch of poison ivy doing some hiking in the Red River Gorge in Ky. It was the first day of a 3 day thru hike. I got a huge stalk and cut it into small enough pieces to fit into a ziplock baggie. Got me through what could have turned into a miserable weekend.

Steve
I will look for that stuff Steve. Where ya been? Haven't seen you on here in awhile.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:20 am

Don't forget the old standard - Calamine lotion. I had Poison something this summer (either Oak, Sumac or Ivy), and I hadn't had it since I was a kid (and only once then - and I was always outside). It was pretty bad - took about a month to go away. It's really bad this year for some reason.
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve
1978 Country Homes Camper conversion - "Gus"

http://gusthevwbus.com
http://freshandmodern.com/blog

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:43 am

This topic is bringing back bad memories of waking up with my feet in motion rubbing back and forth while I was sleeping to itch the poison ivy. Mine lasted for 6-8 weeks - all cause I wandered off during the 4th of July fireworks for a quiet spot for a smoke - learned my lesson there.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:53 am

I feel for ya...I can't even look at Poison Ivy without getting it. Horrible horrible stuff.

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:33 pm

Too bad you're not near the ocean. We used to scratch it real good to get it kinda bloody/pussie/oozy and then jump in! Stung real bad but the salt would "kill" it. They'll end up calling you scarface after that though, so it's not really the best solution.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:27 pm

bottomend wrote:Too bad you're not near the ocean. We used to scratch it real good to get it kinda bloody/pussie/oozy and then jump in! Stung real bad but the salt would "kill" it. They'll end up calling you scarface after that though, so it's not really the best solution.
That's like if the disease doesn't kill you the cure will.

MidWesty
Getting Hooked!

Post by MidWesty » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:18 pm

Sylvester wrote:
MidWesty wrote:We use jewel weed around here. It has a thickish, very purple stalk and grows relatively tall. Ironically enough it's usually found alongside poison ivy. It's "juice" has a similar consistency to aloe. Cut yourself a piece of a stalk and rub the juice on the affected(sp) area. In your case sounds like you may need the whole stalk. It will take the itch out and help dry up the spots. Stuff keeps pretty well too. I once got into a nasty patch of poison ivy doing some hiking in the Red River Gorge in Ky. It was the first day of a 3 day thru hike. I got a huge stalk and cut it into small enough pieces to fit into a ziplock baggie. Got me through what could have turned into a miserable weekend.

Steve
I will look for that stuff Steve. Where ya been? Haven't seen you on here in awhile.
I've been here, there, you know. I'm building a garage as we speak. It's been sucking the life out of me pretty much. Did a little time hiking in the Smokey Mountains a month back. Spent some more time in the Gorge. (Red river) Great climbing/rapelling in a top notch state park. My bus is still giving me fits with the FI. Getting ready to head up through the East Coast. Delaware, Jersey and such. In laws want to see the grandkids. You know, typical summer stuff.
Sorry for the hijack!

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread.....
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

'78 Rivi
'63 Ragtop
'73 Double cab (for sale)

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:02 pm

Hay Russ, have you found any relief yet? And if so, what worked for you? Be nice to know from all the suggestions. It is bad up here this year also.

btw, Ive not washed Elwood with soap yet, still slowly sorting out stuff inside covered with fine dust.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:31 pm

sodium hypochlorite will remove it, but make sure to dilute it before applying to your skin. I thought I had poisin ivy as well, but it appears to be crabs, the drip, and some jock itch. :drunken: