Weber 34 ICT ???

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Weber 34 ICT ???

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:18 am

Long story short. 2.0 liter installed in a fire victim. Bus looks good. Pix in gallery. FI stuff melted so is now carb'd, otherwise stock. Not the engine from fire.
Upon start up engine wouldn't hold steady speed without popping thru carbs. Drilled main, don't know size, just a little bigger. Only pops whenever letting off throttle. Replace 009 with a stock Bus SVDA. popping doesn't change. Drill idle to .040 ( found out later thats a 100 idle jet :smt043 ) popping only occurs when letting off throttle after full throttle acceleration at highway speeds.

Fast forward 2 months. After driving a couple months,
maybe 1500 miles. It seems popping has gone away.
Sticky valve? Maybe.

My question: Assuming that the venturis are whatever 34 ICT's come with new,as well as the air and emulsion tube, what jets should I have for idle and main? Stock 2.0 liter.

Thanks, Bill

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:16 am

Something I forgot to mention is that this engine stayed off the road for many years, not sure how many. It was run a couple times a year in the 2/12 years I owned it, but only to move it about until I removed it from the rust bucket it was in. It then sat in my garage stripped to the long block while doing the body of the burnt Bus and cleaning, painting of all cooling tin. upon reinstallation it fired right up. I did crank for oil pressure before starting.

bill

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:20 am

sorry Bill, but I don't have much to add.

As for the popping, do you think it could have been a vacuum leak int he carb to manifold or something like that which eventually gummed itself up?

As for jetting carbs, I'm only familiar with my dual webers. Here is a link to MHarney's site about IDF carbs. Not the same thing, but he does have some generic carb and jetting theory written down that may help you verify what jets you are using and if they are correct.

http://waitresses.servebeer.com:81/vwpage/idf/index.htm
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Weber 34 ICT ???

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:15 am

vdubyah73 wrote:Long story short. 2.0 liter installed in a fire victim. Bus looks good. Pix in gallery. FI stuff melted so is now carb'd, otherwise stock. Not the engine from fire.
Upon start up engine wouldn't hold steady speed without popping thru carbs. Drilled main, don't know size, just a little bigger. Only pops whenever letting off throttle. Replace 009 with a stock Bus SVDA. popping doesn't change. Drill idle to .040 ( found out later thats a 100 idle jet :smt043 ) popping only occurs when letting off throttle after full throttle acceleration at highway speeds.

Fast forward 2 months. After driving a couple months,
maybe 1500 miles. It seems popping has gone away.
Sticky valve? Maybe.

My question: Assuming that the venturis are whatever 34 ICT's come with new,as well as the air and emulsion tube, what jets should I have for idle and main? Stock 2.0 liter.
I can't tell you.
Popping through the *intakes* on decel is unusual.
That is a symptom of either a lean mixture or very advanced timing.
Popping through exhaust is common, usually rich late combustion events that expose exhaust system breaches. Is this strictly intake?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:12 pm

Yep I've had my eyeballs on it. You could see the flashes of fire down in the carb throat. The popping sounded like popcorn while driving. My comp was
#1 120
#2 130
#3 130
#4 140
So, I'm thinking sticky # 1 intake was the problem and 1500 or so miles later, it has freed up. Probably gummed up from sitting for several years, never getting out and workin up a sweat.

Definetly not a vacuum leak. That was the first thing I checked, and the third thing, and probably the fourth, fifth and eighth too :smt001
Haven't had time to recheck comp. But i'll bet the # 1 comp has come up.
All I really would like to know is what jets are working for anybody else with this setup? And is the jetting formula the same for single throat carbs as the dual throat's?

Thanks Bill