GL 4/5

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

spiffy
IAC Addict!

GL 4/5

Post by spiffy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:03 pm

So I had in my mind that I needed GL 4 for my final drive...I searched all over hell for it and Napa holds bankers hours so I didn't find any...good thing and a bad thing.

I get home and check the Bentley to make sure that I am not crazy...well...I am 8-[ For you automatic folks out there the Bentley recommended oil for the final drive is MIL-L2105B API/GL5 #-o good thing I didn't find the GL4.....
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: GL 4/5

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:18 pm

spiffy wrote: For you automatic folks out there the Bentley recommended oil for the final drive is MIL-L2105B API/GL5 #-o good thing I didn't find the GL4.....

Well heck spiffy, everybody knows there's no synchronizers in an automatic's differential :D That GL5 melts brass synchronizers only. GL-5 is good for ring and pinions.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:23 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
spiffy wrote: For you automatic folks out there the Bentley recommended oil for the final drive is MIL-L2105B API/GL5 #-o good thing I didn't find the GL4.....

Well heck spiffy, everybody knows there's no synchronizers in an automatic's differential :D That GL5 melts brass synchronizers only. GL-5 is good for ring and pinions.
Colin
You sound like John Wayne =D>
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:32 am

spiffy wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

Colin
"Jes throw that GL4 in the crick and step back slowly."

That's right folks, John Wayne was not a quiche eating environmentalist.
Colin
(I pray noone has asked me about the GL4/5 in an auto, because I'll just bet I launched into a GL4 diatribe without even thinking. . .)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:45 am

Amskeptic wrote:
spiffy wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

Colin
"Jes throw that GL4 in the crick and step back slowly."

That's right folks, John Wayne was not a quiche eating environmentalist.
Colin
(I pray noone has asked me about the GL4/5 in an auto, because I'll just bet I launched into a GL4 diatribe without even thinking. . .)
Well, one good thing did come from all the run around...I found the 17mm allen that I need to pull the plug.......still waiting on German Supply and that $30 F&^(%*ing gasket I ordered to get here ](*,)
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"