Hal's Engine: Wheee!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Re: Hal's Engine: Wheee!

Post by Xelmon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Very cool man!
From this it seems like Oregon just holds the cars to more-or-less to their original spec.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:50 pm

What fun.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:15 pm

And in an inspired moment of enthusiasm, I decided to tackle the fuel filler hose and filler neck elbow .. the elbow was OE and torn, the filler hose was OE and weeping. On top of that, I've got a '75 which used a long hose between the short metal pipe off the elbow and the tank, instead of the later filler which has two metal pipes and short sections of hose. Used some "ultra-flexible" fuel filler hose from a UK kit car supplier, cost me ~$30 plus shipping for 500MM/18" of 57MM/2-1/4" .. which was a VERY snug fit on the tank inlet and the metal pipe.

.. only took me two hours but I didn't have to wrestle the firewall out of the way. I don't EVER want to do that job again. Laying head-first through the upper engine hatch, with my left arm snaked through the pie tin hole up into the recess where the filler elbow connects trying to tighten one mo*@*&fu*$%ng hose clamp. Wouldn't have been bad if I was left-handed, thankfully I've become ambidexterous enough to pull that off.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:40 pm

tristessa wrote:Got a weird look from the tester when the radiator fan cycled on, and overheard comments to another tester about "this VW is running too clean!" :cyclopsani:

Code: Select all

HC (PPM)     CO(%)
Standards    300         2.5
1st Test      21         0.1173
Congratulations, those are good numbers. I used to be happy to blow away the standards by a factor of 5 maybe, but you are in "it's gotta be dilution" territory.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:54 am

tristessa wrote: .. only took me two hours but I didn't have to wrestle the firewall out of the way. I don't EVER want to do that job again. Laying head-first through the upper engine hatch, with my left arm snaked through the pie tin hole up into the recess where the filler elbow connects trying to tighten one mo*@*&fu*$%ng hose clamp. Wouldn't have been bad if I was left-handed, thankfully I've become ambidexterous enough to pull that off.
I know that one well... one of the most PITA jobs on a bus. Do you have creases pressed in your wrists from the sheetmetal edges? Helps a lot to have the engine out and go from underneath, but not quite enough to justify pulling it.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:53 am

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:45 am

chachi wrote:+1. even more fun when the gas station guy has knocked the tube out during a fill up and you have gas spilling out all over the place.
That would be a great opportunity to put on your most devastated face, "you . . . you . . . you BROKE my BUS, mAN."
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles