Bad MPG. Suggestions?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:04 pm

Velokid1 wrote:
spiffy wrote:Didn't have an extra bracket for the fuel pump as I had to re-use my old one for my new pump.
This wasn't a problem at all, my friend. Nothing a little band strap couldn't fix up proper.
Glad to hear that she is running smoothly!!
My fuel pump strap is connected to rubber bushings between the frame and the clamp...I always have assumed that this was to protect the pump from excess vibration...anyone have a BETTER guess?
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:33 pm

spiffy wrote:
Glad to hear that she is running smoothly!!
Oh heck yes, me too!
spiffy wrote: My fuel pump strap is connected to rubber bushings between the frame and the clamp...I always have assumed that this was to protect the pump from excess vibration...anyone have a BETTER guess?
We have the band strap connected to the extant rubber bushings, those things are primarily for noise suppression. His pump was very nice and quiet. Thanks, spiffy! And VWBusrepairman, I'd say you gave us a good deal and have won a convert to the factory original L-Jetronic fuel injection.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:59 pm

That nice quiet pump came from Spiffy.

This here was a joint project! My bus thanks you all.

Still trying to find time to write a proper IAC report.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:06 pm

It's amazing how nice FI is. Even one as relatively primative as ours.

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:46 pm

Velokid1 wrote:That nice quiet pump came from Spiffy.

Yes, because I will correct your grammar in the paper. :cherry:

Nice work on the pump, Spiffmeister! Let this thread be the first of it's kind to serve as inspiration to other members. I have more FI parts where those came from, kids. :geek:
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:06 pm

VWBusrepairman wrote:
Velokid1 wrote:
Anytime you see incorrect grammar in my posts, you can bet the farm that it was intentional!

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:26 pm

VWBusrepairman wrote: Let this thread be the first of it's kind to serve as inspiration to other members. I have more FI parts where those came from, kids. :geek:
I'm waiting for a good write up. I have my the parts, just not the knowledge. Be the beacon. Show the way!

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:16 am

VWBusrepairman wrote:
Velokid1 wrote:That nice quiet pump came from Spiffy.

Nice work on the pump, Spiffmeister! Let this thread be the first of it's kind to serve as inspiration to other members. I have more FI parts where those came from, kids. :geek:
Glad the pump worked out!!
Trust me, the sound a new one makes when you first start things up is odd to say the least....it sounds like the dying giraffe sound from the South Park movie. Glad that my ol trusty standby has a good home. :cheers:

And hell ya, Chitwn....lets get you hooked up!! if you can bolt things onto an engine and wire it up then we can walk you through the rest!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:54 am

spiffy wrote: And hell ya, Chitwn....lets get you hooked up!! if you can bolt things onto an engine and wire it up then we can walk you through the rest!
I'm close enough to assist personally if need be. It's always easier if you have some help from someone who has been over the system time and time again. Let's schedule it, kind sir. Christmas break will be on approach soon enough. Might as well work on VeeDubs year round, right?

I'm no Colin, but I'm aspiring to be a great!
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:55 am

Yeah, Chitown... My write up going to be more like What We Ate, What We Said, How Much Gasoline I Swallowed... rather than a how-to on switching back to fuel injection.

Colin was the brains behind the operation. Usually he insists that his customers learn along the way and perform most operations themselves, however I lucked out (depending on your perspective) because it's a rather BIG job and since our time was limited, he just sorta took the bull by the horns and I was more like an errand boy and handed him wrenches.
:drunken:

I'm no expert, but to me it really seems like this operation- turning a carbed bus back into a fuel injected bus- is probably one of the trickier ones in terms of disrupting the overall homeostasis of a bus.

I have been equating it to a heart transplant. Kinda like that.

But you can definitely do it. Especially with Ryan lending a hand, it will be no problem at all. And lemme tell you what a difference it makes over the carbs. I've left early for work every morning this week because I can't wait to hop in the bus and hear how smooth it is now. And then I'm LATE to work because I take the long way so that I can enjoy the improved driveability of my machine.

Very cool.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:08 am

I can't wait for your mileage reports. I'll bet you get to 20.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:12 pm

I was telling Ryan... my round-trip to work is 7 miles, max. Previously, I could literally watch the needle go down on that trip. I bet I burned almost 1/16th of a tank going to work and back once. What is that, like 10-11 MPG?

I've driven back and forth to work three times this week and used maybe an 1/8th of a tank. I mean, she must have been 110% pig before this.

Another big immediate improvement: No gas smells. That's something I got used to, but occasionally it was embarassing.

I need to run this tank of gas through and then one more after it with FI Cleaner in it... once that's done, I'll fill her up and get an average mileage for ya'll. I'm thinking 18-20 MPG in-town. And this is a mountainous town.

Something to look forward to: When I was running errands during our project, I went by our ACVW parts store and the guys there told me straight out, "Bad idea," "Good luck you're gonna need it", "you should be going FI to carbs, not the other way" and "That's a huge job, our fingers are crossed for ya."

I can't wait to drive in there to buy an oil filter or something.

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:28 pm

I would really like to do this as well some day. My bus runs great on the original Solexes right now but it is also a gas guzzler. I have been talking with the Campmobile Liberation Front about doing this project one day. The problem of course is that I don't have a return line on my tank and also access is difficult with the hatchless 1972. Vwbusrepairman, do you have a full set of additional FI stuff that you would part with? It could be a great winter weekend project.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:40 pm

Velokid1 wrote:I was telling Ryan... my round-trip to work is 7 miles, max. Previously, I could literally watch the needle go down on that trip. I bet I burned almost 1/16th of a tank going to work and back once. What is that, like 10-11 MPG?

I've driven back and forth to work three times this week and used maybe an 1/8th of a tank. I mean, she must have been 110% pig before this.

Another big immediate improvement: No gas smells. That's something I got used to, but occasionally it was embarassing.

I need to run this tank of gas through and then one more after it with FI Cleaner in it... once that's done, I'll fill her up and get an average mileage for ya'll. I'm thinking 18-20 MPG in-town. And this is a mountainous town.

Something to look forward to: When I was running errands during our project, I went by our ACVW parts store and the guys there told me straight out, "Bad idea," "Good luck you're gonna need it", "you should be going FI to carbs, not the other way" and "That's a huge job, our fingers are crossed for ya."

I can't wait to drive in there to buy an oil filter or something.
Hell YA! That's awesome!
I would love to rub their faces in it, those hacks are the type that should not be allowed to even touch your bus. I was intimidated by FI at first but once you get to know it......piece of cake...it just takes some trial and error and some folks that are willing to share their knowledge :geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:43 pm

Velokid1 wrote: I need to run this tank of gas through and then one more after it with FI Cleaner in it...
Does anybody have any experience with the "FI Cleaning" available at the lube shops? I've seen it run. Big white clouds coming out of the tailpipe.

So I've been curious ever since...