Troutmobile on the table

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:13 am

Okay. AFM is plugged into the harness. I adjusted valves on 1 and 2, they had been set to zero lash....so I brought them in add'l 1 1/2 turns. Stayed running 10 seconds longer than previous before stalling. Seemed to be easier to nurse with the throttle to keep it running. Still stalls and won't stay running.
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:22 am

I skimmed through the responses, but did you guys check the AAR elbow for leaks, cracks, etc?
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:28 am

Didja check timing?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:32 am

hambone wrote:Didja check timing?
Kinda tough when it won't stay running.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:33 am

bretski wrote:I skimmed through the responses, but did you guys check the AAR elbow for leaks, cracks, etc?
If that's the lil elbow roughly in the center of engine compartment...then yes, checked and replaced...I just wasn't sure of the names of the two things it connected....still learnin' and 'membering names of stuff.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 am

Hopefully it will be easier to run through the troubleshooting when there's two of us. Looks like Hammie's picking me up (bless him) at 11:30, should see you around 1:30, Mark.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:01 pm

deschutestrout wrote:
bretski wrote:I skimmed through the responses, but did you guys check the AAR elbow for leaks, cracks, etc?
If that's the lil elbow roughly in the center of engine compartment...then yes, checked and replaced...I just wasn't sure of the names of the two things it connected....still learnin' and 'membering names of stuff.
Yes, that's the one. Follow it back to the s-boot, as well, to make sure it's firmly connected. This is a 13mm line. The other big line there (at the s-boot) goes to the oil breather.

Given that you can feather the throttle and keep it running points to vacuum leak as a likely candidate. Give the s-boot a good examination for cracks. Also, don't forget the little vacuum line that goes from the distributor around the back of the throttlebody. That little bugger is easy to miss, as it's hidden.

For giggles, I'd also check your connections to the double-relay.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:46 pm

S-boot is fine, vac line from dist to throttle secure and clean.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:41 pm

If we had a couple pics it might help.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:45 pm

gmag69 wrote:If we had a couple pics it might help.
Pics of......?

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:55 pm

The engine compartment. There may be something you guys are missing that someone else might see.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:11 pm

Have you examined all of the cloth covered lines that connect the little plastic vac lines to the metal nipples? I had a split on the back of one connecting to the distributor advance that was causing some weird running issues. It finally split to the point that the line popped off and was undrivable. New connections on all lines was called for.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:42 pm

The manifold nuts had worked loose. So we discovered that vac leak. It made it run smoother since now 1 and 2 were firing.

But it's still won't idle even with the mixture screw in, air bypass screw almost out and in the AFM we dialed over the little black dial 10 clicks and it still wouldn't idle.

We've confirmed spark and that gas is getting to the plugs.

Also we can keep it running with the afm wiper arm, but when we move the throttle we get a thump and the engine wants to die.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:14 pm

Still no luck. We found a vacuum leak at the intake. We can keep it idling if I manually move the wiper 1/2" CCW, but when you goose the throttle, it dies. RPM goes up if I keep moving the wiper arm, but if you touch the throttle, dies. PO had the mixture screw turned all the way in...I backed it out about 3 1/2 turns, and still same issue. Yes, Colin, we followed your procedure ABC but didn't have success. Thoughts? We're about at our wits' end. Update, if I hold the wiper 1 1/2" CCW, it doesn't idle as cleanly, but allows to rev to full RPM with the throttle.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:49 pm

Just an idea and could be totally off base.. but you know how the AFM has that little arm that turns off the pump when you turn off the ignition.. could it be bent so that when you give it gas, it grounds out turning off the pump?

Trying to help.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com