Adding Headlight Relays

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Adding Headlight Relays

Post by Adventurewagen » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:58 pm

Anyone added relays to their bus for H4 headlights? I've got a set I'm going to put in and was thinking about adding two relays as well. Ratwell has a link to a nice write up on the topic, but I was wondering more of where people placed their relays and whether they decided to use the original fuse panel.

I see two options:
1. Place the relays directly behind the speedometer so you can run the switch easily to the relay and then run from the battery through the existing fuse box to the relay then to the headlights

or

2. Place the relays right next to each headlight (which would allow for a shorter length of wire) but it would require extending the wire from the switch to the relay as well as putting an inline fuse to each relay and then essentially not using fuses 3/4 and 5/6 out of the original fuse box.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Re: Adding Headlight Relays

Post by spiffy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:04 pm

Adventurewagen wrote:Anyone added relays to their bus for H4 headlights? I've got a set I'm going to put in and was thinking about adding two relays as well. Ratwell has a link to a nice write up on the topic, but I was wondering more of where people placed their relays and whether they decided to use the original fuse panel.

I see two options:
1. Place the relays directly behind the speedometer so you can run the switch easily to the relay and then run from the battery through the existing fuse box to the relay then to the headlights

or

2. Place the relays right next to each headlight (which would allow for a shorter length of wire) but it would require extending the wire from the switch to the relay as well as putting an inline fuse to each relay and then essentially not using fuses 3/4 and 5/6 out of the original fuse box.

No help from me...but DAMN you are hooking your bus UP this summer!!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:25 pm

Thanks man.

It all started when my tranny locked in 1st and 2nd at the same time end of last summer :) I also had a nagging exhaust leak a worn out dual carb linkage (EMPI) and my brakes were getting bad.

So I pulled the engine and tranny just to do the shift rod and nose cone but its grown. The bus has been parked all summer :( but I'm getting well needed things done to it after alot of good miles.

-new brake hoses all around
-new rear wheel cylinders and pads,
-new front disc pads and caliper rebuild
-new koni's all around
-shift rod bushings, coupler, shift plate and nosecone rebuild
-H4 head lights
-body work on front, side rear corners and battery trays.
-complete tear down and carb rebuild on my webers
-new CSP carb linkage
-new clutch cable, accelerator cable and dust boots
-new gas pedal and mounting plate
-fixed my parking break
-new hoses on the brake booster and fuel lines
-new fuel pump
-alternator upgrade from 38 Amp generator to 95Amp alternator \:D/
-BMD pulley setup
-new Isolator (BIC-95150B) and new wire routing for car/house battery
-wheels cleaned and repainted
-bumpers stripped and repainted
-engine tin is all repainted too
-new exhaust gaskets and copper nuts

Crap, lots of stuff that just keeps spiraling into a mess of new things to do. Which brings me to the relays :) I'm going to drop the H4's in without them, but I'd like to make that another project when I get done with the others.

I've been collecting alot of parts and pieces for these problems over the last year, it just finally came down to one big redo of everything at once. Hopefully I'll get it all back together in another couple weeks and start driving the bus again. The rest of the projects shouldnt take the bus out of commission either, except for maybe disconnecting the headlights to do the relays.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:05 pm

:smt103

WOWZA!!

I thought I had an expensive bus summer!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:25 pm

What does adding relays do for you?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:16 pm

chitwnvw wrote:What does adding relays do for you?
In some cases, a relay prevents running the entire current of a consumer through the switch itself. In these cases, the switch only has to pass the current required to pull a little magnet that connects high amperage contacts.
In other instances, a relay allows long distance remote switching to prevent having to wire the components with 8 miles of meandering wiring.
Starter solenoid meets both of those solutions, no heavy wire travelling 20 feet from the battery to the starter motor, and it allows a smaller starter switch to run a high amperage consumer.

The head lamp switch would not like to have high performance, high amperage high beam current through it. Neither would the dimmer switch which, by the way, runs its own relay to prevent your dimmer switch from getting pitted contacts when you flash your beams.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:25 am

Amskeptic wrote:The head lamp switch would not like to have high performance, high amperage high beam current through it. Neither would the dimmer switch which, by the way, runs its own relay to prevent your dimmer switch from getting pitted contacts when you flash your beams.
Colin
Most excellent, I never thought about the dimmer switch getting the extra juice too. I'm gonna add it to my list and work on that sometime this winter after I get my bus back on the road.

Koni's now on, wheels painted, gas pedal fixed, shift rod bushings replaced. Now I just need to paint my skid plate and put that back on before I drop the front and then start on the back again :)
63 Gulf Blue Notch

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:49 am

Adventurewagen wrote:
Koni's now on, wheels painted, gas pedal fixed, shift rod bushings replaced. Now I just need to paint my skid plate and put that back on before I drop the front and then start on the back again :)
I have a new relay set-up for dual carb buses that switch over to the electric fuel pump. If I ever get to the drawing board, I'll do a diagram.
Colin

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:30 pm

Amskeptic wrote:I have a new relay set-up for dual carb buses that switch over to the electric fuel pump. If I ever get to the drawing board, I'll do a diagram.
Colin
You're talking about an auto cut-off switch right? Is there any need for something like that if I don't have issues with starting/stopping the engine? I'd imagine that even after I stop I get some extra fuel flow, but I'm not really sure. Are there any other benefits from running something like this? I'd be interested to see a sketch of what you are talking about.

Teach me Obi Wan. For I am ready to become a VW master :)
63 Gulf Blue Notch

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:21 pm

Adventurewagen wrote:
You're talking about an auto cut-off switch right? Is there any need for something like that if I don't have issues with starting/stopping the engine?
I use it as a safety device. I recommend something to stop the pump if the engine stops in an emergency.
Colin