Bench Testing my Engine

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Bench Testing my Engine

Post by Adventurewagen » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:28 am

I've never done this, but would like to bench test my engine before I slap it back in the bus. Check for exhaust leaks, tune up the carbs and basically just check everything else out while I have easy access.

I've pulled the engine WITH the tranny so can I still do it with the tranny on? Since the started is attached I'd kinda figure it would be more of a requirement to run it with the tranny, but again I've never done it before.

Also, what all do I need to hook up and what do I need to be careful of or watch out for. I figure if I ground the battery to my lift and run the positive to the starter, use a can of fuel and gravity feed the pump thats about it, right? Should I connect the alternator back to the battery or just leave it unattached?

What about the vacuum for the brake booster? Just plug it?

I'm running a Type 1, 1776 with dual 40 IDF webers, new CSP linkage, new 95 Amp alternator, BMD pulley but still a 009 which will soon become an ACN SVDA when I get the cash. So lotsa new stuff on the bus.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Bench Testing my Engine

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:43 pm

Adventurewagen wrote:I would like to bench test my engine before I slap it back in the bus. Check for exhaust leaks, tune up the carbs and basically just check everything else out while I have easy access.

I've pulled the engine WITH the tranny so can I still do it with the tranny on? Since the started is attached I'd kinda figure it would be more of a requirement to run it with the tranny, but again I've never done it before.
Ground your battery to the transaxle/groundstrap. Starter amperage needs an easy ground path to the battery.
Hope it all runs well.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:17 am

What is supporting the engine and transmission during the bench test? Remember that a blip of the throttle can generate a lot of torque that could easily topple everything off an ATV jack or wood blocks....

Plug the brake booster line.

Unless you will also be connecting the voltage regulator, don't connect the alternator to anything - and maybe take the alternator belt off for good measure.

Consider all of this advice with the knowledge that I've never done what you are intending either! :-s
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:56 am

OOOOoops! You are running a Type I motor - DON'T run without the belt, or no cooling fan!!!

SORRY!!!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:14 am

No problem on that. I have it sittin on blocks right now. I'm not sure I'm going to run in on the bench anymore. I'm worried now about it torqueing itself off the stand or something like that.

Once I get it back together it should be more than fine and I'll be able to pull the motor again if I really have to.

Thanks for the input.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:25 am

Adventurewagen wrote: I'm worried now about it torqueing itself off the stand or something like that.
Not likely to happen. 81 ft/lbs of torque at *max* throttle at 3,000 rpm is less than the amount of force required to lift the side of the engine off your blocks.
The major torque loads that require big ol engine mounts etc is the torque applied to the transaxle in first gear. 81ft/lbs X 3.80 X 5.37.

Anyways, good luck, it belongs in the car.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles