Mattress topper ideas?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jalabert
I'm New!

Mattress topper ideas?

Post by jalabert » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:14 pm

Honestly, I don't find a bare westy bed to be the most comfortable thing on earth. If it's just me on my own I have a thin self-inflating mattress that I roll over the top and that's almost ok, but I'm sure there's something better out there, and it'd be nice to have something a bit more 5 star for when Mrs is along. I'm thinking of something like a memory foam topper cut to fit, or maybe a very thin custom made futon - that kind of thing. Got to be thin enough to be stashed in the pop top when I'm driving, I'm thinking.

I can't be alone, anyone else ploughed that furrow?

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Re: Mattress topper ideas?

Post by tristessa » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:23 pm

What year is your Westy? '68-'73 had thicker foam than '74-up.

I've got an IKEA 1" memory foam topper in my '75 that adds just enough padding and comfort to not wreck my back. I deleted the closet/cabinet in the corner to get more bed space, and a US-sized "full" is just about perfect for the full-width Westy bed I have now. We keep it made with sheets and a blanket, and folded in half top-to-bottom it stows neatly in the bed area when the seat is in "seat" position.

If that doesn't make much sense let me know and I can get pictures...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

jalabert
I'm New!

Post by jalabert » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:00 pm

Thanks Tristessa - yep, that makes sense!

Mine is a 73 and full width (140cm-ish) from the factory - I discovered that a New Zealand double is bang on that, so I've found a 5cm thick one online that I'll adapt to go around the spare wheel well...not sure how well it'll fold down to go around that, but we shall see...

Cheers,

Simon

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:12 pm

this is what ive had on my radar for the perfect topper:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G ... =UTF8&th=1

6 inches thick, Twin sized. I doubt it would fold very well though, so you'd have to keep it in bed mode all the time when it's in the bus.
1979 California Transporter

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:00 am

We just spread an unzipped old-style sleeping bag on top of the lower mattress, comfy side up. You know, those old rectangular cotton-and-flannel things everybody used before sleeping bags went high-tech. Weighed about 20 lb, not at all waterproof.

It provides enough padding to transform the foam-rubber mattress experience, and the soft flannel interior serves nicely in place of a sheet.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

jalabert
I'm New!

Post by jalabert » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:40 pm

airkooledchris wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:12 pm
this is what ive had on my radar for the perfect topper:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G ... =UTF8&th=1

6 inches thick, Twin sized. I doubt it would fold very well though, so you'd have to keep it in bed mode all the time when it's in the bus.
I'm idly wondering how replacing the seat padding with that would work out...there's probably a reason you don't see memory foam sofas, right?

Rusty Sub
Getting Hooked!

Post by Rusty Sub » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:00 am

Comfort is very subjective. In the 72 I pack a Colman “Old school” style sleeping bag as a mattress topper. Similar to this.

https://www.coleman.com/heritage-big-an ... 08710.html

It roles up nicely and doesn’t take up a lot of space when not in use. I only bring it if the wife is camping with me.

On top to sleep in, I have two Northface Dolomite rectangle bags zipped together one rated 40*
And one rated 20*. You can flip them based on seasons. Those bags compress way down. I stash them in the plastic spare tire cover on the back wheel well. I have spare tire on nose.

https://www.rei.com/product/128393/the- ... eeping-bag

They also make a combo.

https://www.rei.com/product/153329/the- ... eeping-bag

Should you ever need more warmth. Remember to layer inside sleeping bag or comforter (Duvet) not on top. The air pocket created by the loft of white down, down alternative, or polyester batting, is a big part of the insulation. Kind of like a double wall thermos, if you throw a blanket on top of your sleeping bag or comforter(Duvet) you just crushed the insulation down.

(I now that wasn’t your question, just a tip for others)

Something else to consider depending on where you live. There is a store not to far from me that specializes in different types of foam. They can cut different density’s of foam to fit the cushion covers. Maybe you have a place like that in your town. Personally I like the OEM 72 Westfalia cushion foam. I hate the cushions in the 76.
a.k.a Xevin