Neophyte on board

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mikehoe70
I'm New!

Neophyte on board

Post by Mikehoe70 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:45 am

Hello all. I am a newbie and have a project to work on. I acquired a ‘73 Bay window with some mods, some parts just missing, but somewhat functional. Is there a good Resource to follow figuring out where to begin. Also, I am new to automotive projects. I have basic skills and tools. Where to go when roadblocks occur?

I did post this in the Samba as well, but the tenor of discussion on this forum is more my speed!

TIA

satchmo
Old School!

Re: Neophyte on board

Post by satchmo » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:50 pm

First, welcome to the IAC.

Second, describe the current state of your bus. Is it an automatic or manual transmission? What 'mods' are done that would affect operation and drive ability? What parts are missing? Posting pictures is helpful to obtain the advice you desire.

Third, start reading everything you can about Bay Window buses from model years 72-74. These came with a Type 4 engine that had dual carburetors in their stock configuration. Many have been converted to a center mount carb or have suffered similar atrocities.

Fourth, stop worrying. You will have many questions and roadblocks as you dive into this project and we can't really guide you without knowing more about the starting point of your bus. So once you've educated yourself a bit, and documented your starting point, come back and ask away. There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Satchmo
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:04 pm

satchmo wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:50 pm
First, welcome to the IAC.

Second, describe the current state of your bus. Is it an automatic or manual transmission? What 'mods' are done that would affect operation and drive ability? What parts are missing? Posting pictures is helpful to obtain the advice you desire.

Third, start reading everything you can about Bay Window buses from model years 72-74. These came with a Type 4 engine that had dual carburetors in their stock configuration. Many have been converted to a center mount carb or have suffered similar atrocities.

Fourth, stop worrying. You will have many questions and roadblocks as you dive into this project and we can't really guide you without knowing more about the starting point of your bus. So once you've educated yourself a bit, and documented your starting point, come back and ask away. There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Satchmo

^^ this .. ^^
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Mikehoe70
I'm New!

Post by Mikehoe70 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:58 am

Thanks for the Welcome. Here is an "Info dump" of what's in my head at the moment:

She's a manual transmission with aforementioned atrocity of a center mounted carb. Much of the "convenience" wiring is disconnected, but all external lighting and dash gauges work. (Although one or two warning lights on the dash are missing.) components of the heating system are missing including what I would describe as "duct work" within the engine compartment. NO TDC mark on the pulley and no timing scale on the engine. I find 2 numbers on the engine: CB031212 and *2232173159.

I purchased her in Daytona Beach and drove her home near Pensacola with no issues. I was able to simply enjoy driving for few months before my first tune up was needed. I completed it myself, but was somewhat unsure of the timing. That seemed to go well, but 2 weeks later experienced significant loss of power and have been unable to recover. When I pulled the plug on #2 this weekend (preparing for a compression test) it seemed to hang up and would not "release" once fully unscrewed. I had to grab the tip of pliers and gently lift her out. It had a "Flat" spot on the threads on one side.I replaced with a new plug later which would not tighten completely. I removed it and checked those threads and they appeared normal. I completed the compression test, using the method described in Muir, and the results were: 125/90/0/0. Further reading leads me believe these results are indicative of either VERY poor timing, or the need to overhaul.

I will attempt to attach photos. Where to begin?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:54 pm

Mikehoe70 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:58 am
I completed the compression test, using the method described in Muir, and the results were: 125/90/0/0. Further reading leads me believe these results are indicative of either VERY poor timing, or the need to overhaul.

If you are near Pensacola, please hold tight until October 15th. If, you need an assessment sooner, try getting in touch with Wild Bill of Rare Air in Pensacola. You have some issues that could get expensive if you attempt to resurrect it without a thorough look.
Please PM me with an address, IF you would like a once-over to help you determine your options.
This is my livelihood, I would need to charge you let's say $100.00 for two hours.
It'll be worthwhile.
Colin

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... air-cooled
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles