More alternator troubles

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Re: More alternator troubles

Post by appetite » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:08 pm

I don't know if the other alternators ran hot because I don't think I touched them after driving...

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Post by appetite » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:48 am

Curiosity got the better of me, so I pulled the alternator (AGAIN!!) to triple check that the cooling tin was oriented correctly. It was. :cheers: It's amazing how much more quick and efficient I was this time around!

So, perhaps it is simply the fact that it is summer, the engine is hot and the alternator is going to be hot as well.

Leaving on our epic summer road trip on Monday. If this alternator takes a dump, I'll buy a second battery and charge and swap as we go.

But I have confidence!

If there's anything else i should check or inspect, let me know.

James

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:42 pm

appetite wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:48 am
Curiosity got the better of me, so I pulled the alternator (AGAIN!!) to triple check that the cooling tin was oriented correctly. It was. :cheers: It's amazing how much more quick and efficient I was this time around!

So, perhaps it is simply the fact that it is summer, the engine is hot and the alternator is going to be hot as well.

Leaving on our epic summer road trip on Monday. If this alternator takes a dump, I'll buy a second battery and charge and swap as we go.

But I have confidence!

If there's anything else i should check or inspect, let me know.

James

Have an epic trip!
Make sure that all grounds are clean and secure, all wires are chafe-free, and what the heck, the headlamps are your biggest alternator consumer, make sure the fuses are clean and securely holding the fuses.
Drive paranoid, my friend, they ARE out to get you.
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles