Brake adjustment questions

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Brake adjustment questions

Post by appetite » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:32 pm

During Colin's visit back in May, we replaced the rear brakes, including wheel cylinders and pads. The brakes need adjustment, and I have a couple of stupid questions about the procedure that I haven't found an adequate answer to (looked in Bentley, thesamba, etc).

So the procedure as I understand is as follows (in this order):

1. Pump brakes to center the pads on the drums
2. Jack up wheel
3. Tighten stars until the wheel is snug
4. Back off adjusting stars 3 clicks so that the wheel is released and spins freely

So for Steps #3 and #4:

Do I tighten one star until the wheel is snug and then back off that star. And then repeat the entire step for the other star?

Or...

Do I tighten both stars in equal clicks until the wheel is snug and then back off both stars in equal clicks?

My other question:

With the brakes properly adjusted, will it be necessary to adjust the parking brake? If so, is the procedure to tighten the screws under the bus or on the parking brake column under the rubber sleeve?

Thanks for your patience, kind forum.

James

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Re: Brake adjustment questions

Post by appetite » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:12 am

This is helpful, although for a Type 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... j6oWndQ5as

But my second question remains:

With the brakes properly adjusted, will it be necessary to adjust the parking brake? If so, is the procedure to tighten the screws under the bus or on the parking brake column under the rubber sleeve?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Brake adjustment questions

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:48 am

appetite wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:12 am
You adjust the rear brake stars equally to a snug wheel THEN hit the pedal to center the pistons in the wheel cylinders, then back off. Usually, this brings your parking brake back into into adjustment.
With your bus, there are only the double nuts on the cables under the ebrake lever boot in the cabin.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles