pop top bolt issue and bent hinge - help!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dhoch14
Old School!

pop top bolt issue and bent hinge - help!

Post by dhoch14 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:44 am

All,

It's only been about 10 years since I've posted in here, but....seeing as I know y'all are the best and I figure I'd give it a try.

I've got a 93 2.4D Westfalia (type 4) in Spain and besides there being ample rust (it's a German import), I have a pain in the ass pop top issue.

She the attached photos. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix? Maybe a resin of some sorts? I really don't want to have to replace the whole pop top.

93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

KosmicK1100
I'm New!

Re: pop top bolt issue and bent hinge - help!

Post by KosmicK1100 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:05 am

Job one, would be to lubricate all the hinge pivots and straighten the hinge plate, for smooth operation of the hinges.
For the nut that has pulled through the pop-top, a large diameter fender washer could be placed under the nut, to prevent it from pulling through. A bit of sealant applied to the underside of the washer would help prevent any leaks.
Be sure the top hinge plate rests flat against the pop-top with out any stress or tension.
Cheers!

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:42 am

KosmicK1100 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:05 am
For the nut that has pulled through the pop-top, a large diameter fender washer could be placed under the nut, to prevent it from pulling through. A bit of sealant applied to the underside of the washer would help prevent any leaks.
Be sure the top hinge plate rests flat against the pop-top with out any stress or tension.
Cheers!
How would I be able to tighten the nut if it's inside the poptop itself? It looks like the wood has rotted or the bolt just broke through.
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

KosmicK1100
I'm New!

Post by KosmicK1100 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:01 am

While washing out my coffee cup, and relaxing my brain, this popped into mind!
I think a toggle bolt will solve the problem.

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:52 am

Does the nut not thread on from the top side of the top? Are you saying the nut is embedded in the fiberglass?
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:44 am

Mike Boell wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:52 am
Does the nut not thread on from the top side of the top? Are you saying the nut is embedded in the fiberglass?
The nut is embedded in the fiberglass. And the fiberglass has cracked some so I'm thinking of using a metal plate and thread a bold through the center while screwing it into the fiber glass on the outside.
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:47 am

KosmicK1100 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:01 am
While washing out my coffee cup, and relaxing my brain, this popped into mind!
I think a toggle bolt will solve the problem.
Brilliant! Great thinking.
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:05 am

All, I fixed the issue by using a plate with new bolts and extending the hinge toward the front he cabin. The toggle bolt was took large as there wasn't enough space to push the toggle unit into the roof. It's not perfect, but it works! Thanks for the help.
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali