Papa's 79 Westfalia

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

skip
Getting Hooked!

Re: Papa's 79 Westfalia

Post by skip » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:09 am

Sweet bike.....what it's weight. My early Goldwing was 792 lbs dry. When I was in Germany saw Police on green BMW bikes doing 140 mph in drizzling rain on the autobahn, amazing. Got the Wing up to 100 mph once, wind buffeting on a large frame mounted fairing was no fun.

Happy Trails

PS. The Wing had a built in air compressor that I used to inflate a motorist's tire.

Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

76 Westfalia
74 Type 181

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956

KosmicK1100
I'm New!

Post by KosmicK1100 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:47 am

Howdy guys, the BMW tool kit is pretty comprehensive! I am taking a spare clutch cable, and oil and air filter to service the BMW when I put into storage at the end of the trip. The K1100RS is heavier than I would like, 590 lbs wet, but its condition, touring capacity, good looks and price won me over. Also, the K1100RS was owned by a fellow American which made the purchase super easy, I just sent a check to California. I considered buying 650cc bike that would be more maneuverable and better suited for the country roads, but I couldn't find a good candidate.
I do like the older goldwings!
Cheers!

KosmicK1100
I'm New!

Post by KosmicK1100 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:43 am

I am back from a 6 week tour of France on my 1996 BMW K1100RS. I had the privilege of visiting my ancestral town of Aubusson, reading my ancestor's journals, camping in the mountains, fishing, eating the best food ever, and drinking lots of wine!
I picked up the BMW in Munich rode about 2500 miles and stored the BMW in Tours France.

Unbelievably beautiful penmanship!

The Vosges Mountains

On a ferry crossing there were several VW buses returning from a rally.

We are making a deal on this German/American monstrosity. I'll eventually sell our Toyota Truck, to make room for Papa's Westfalia, which will be our emergency back up vehicle.