Rusty Rusty

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mechanicjay
I'm New!

Rusty Rusty

Post by mechanicjay » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:13 pm

Plenty to do on my Bus while I wait to source a DVDA distributor and wait for my Uni-Syn to arrive.

Today we pulled the Rivi top off, so I can address some water damaged wood and clean/patch/paint the fiberglass. Have a new Tent ready to install too!

Pulled the luggage rack off as well. I ask you, who in their right mind installed this thing with a 4 inch bolt sitting 2 inched above the driver's head!?

I found this under the luggage rack -- looks like about 40 years worth of pine needles and debris to me:

I swept off the roof and my heart sank, it's like this on both sides:

Are we allowed to use the word 'Fuck' here?

Anyone have any words of Advice, or should just go cry into my beer at this point?

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: Rusty Rusty

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:08 pm

I would either weld in some patches if that is in your skills set. If not, cut out the rot, and patch with fiber glass and resin, put the luggage rack back in place and only you will know the difference. I will preface the previous comment that I am more of a functional kinda guy...
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

mechanicjay
I'm New!

Post by mechanicjay » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:56 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:08 pm
I would either weld in some patches if that is in your skills set. If not, cut out the rot, and patch with fiber glass and resin, put the luggage rack back in place and only you will know the difference. I will preface the previous comment that I am more of a functional kinda guy...
Yeah this is going to be a functional driver, not a concours restoration. I actually made a similar repair on my old pickup. I wire wheeled the rust, epoxied a patch in from behind, filled and painted. 3+ years and the repair on the truck is holding up. But yeah, as this is going back under the luggage rack, as long as the rust is neutralized and the weather is kept out, I don't think there's a whole lot more that's worth doing there.

I'm feeling much better about this than I was when I first found it earlier today.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:20 pm

Purists be damned (particularly in this case when they can be damned....lets face it it's not a 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4) . As you said, make sure rust is neutralized, add tiger hair and 'glass cloth with resin to assist in adding needed functional rigidity, and call it a day..and enjoy the results. :flower:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:18 pm

Y'all are soooo fancy with your high-tech composites 'n stuff. I was just gonna suggest some scrap tin, pop rivets and whatever sealant ya have on hand... :joker:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett