Hello Old Friends

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

soulful66
Addicted!

Hello Old Friends

Post by soulful66 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:50 pm

I used to be on here quite a bit but dropped off after I sold my beloved 1973 westie in 2013. I just went through a nasty divorce but I have my 2 remaining busses. I am planning on getting the 1979 westie I have here in Colorado back running and drivable. I am looking forward to reconnecting with any of the members I used to converse with if they are still around.

Regards,
John
'72 westy 3TC
'73 westy 1700 dual solex
'79 westy 2000 F.I.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: Hello Old Friends

Post by sped372 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:29 am

Welcome back! It's a little, uh, quieter around here lately but some of us are still here.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:24 pm

Welcome back. A nasty divorce as a catalyst to return you to Busland? I’ll not comment further on the divorce, but I have found that buses and women are quite often puzzling, and full of daunting mysteries.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:00 pm

I bought my bus after my x and I were separated, but before the divorce....it was amicable, although she HATED the bus. I remarried, and my wife Shannon, said she would divorce me if I ever got rid of the bus .....hmmm.....

All kidding aside, welcome back.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:17 pm

soulful66 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:50 pm
I used to be one here quite a bit but dropped off after I sold my beloved 1973 westie in 2013. I just went through a nasty divorce but I have my 2 remaining busses. I am planning on getting the 1979 westie I have here in Colorado back running and drivable. I am looking forward to reconnecting with any of the members I used to converse with if they are still around.

Regards,
John

John!
I have been hankering for an apple pie fix, but it looks like that opportunity has passed me by. I would like to visit with you. Let's get that '79 running and driveable. There is nothing better than a VW on the open road to make your world right again.
Though I cost twice as much as when I last visited you, I am twice as good. You're a smart one and we could get it running in a half a day.
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:22 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:00 pm
I bought my bus after my x and I were separated, but before the divorce....it was amicable, although she HATED the bus. I remarried, and my wife Shannon, said she would divorce me if I ever got rid of the bus .....hmmm.....

All kidding aside, welcome back.

Hey Troll, who's kidding? You know it takes a certain kind of person to get on the same wavelength as an air-cooled VW bus. I find it is as true as when dogs like a person versus when they don't like a person. They're on to something . . . . I wonder if there are people who love VW buses that dogs hate. I'll bet there aren't. I used to wright gud.
Colin

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:26 pm

I also have recently started revisiting this web site......my bus is still decaying in the front drive.....need to thaw it out.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:40 am

Welcome back! There are those that still have buses and drift off this site, and there are those that are still on this site as their buses drifted off.

Sorry about the divorce...

We should reach out to all the old regulars on here - it will be like an online reunion. We can resurrect the Turk thread!! :-)
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:28 am

And there are some of us that had buses and migrated to vans...
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:23 pm

sped372 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:28 am
And there are some of us that had buses and migrated to vans...

You can finish typing it out, i.e. " migrated to vanagons".

Vans are those domestic things like Xelmon's GMC thread:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11259

Vanagons are the real VW bus deal, evolved, wonderful drivers.
Colin

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:17 am

Fair enough! Yes, I am glad it still has an essence of that "Bus driving feel" but it is definitely less fatiguing. I miss the charm of the '70 but I can live without feeling like a limp noodle after a few hours of hills and/or windy conditions. Have to maintain an energy reserve to chase the kids around.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:37 pm

Amskeptic wrote: John!
I have been hankering for an apple pie fix, but it looks like that opportunity has passed me by. I would like to visit with you. Let's get that '79 running and driveable. There is nothing better than a VW on the open road to make your world right again.
Though I cost twice as much as when I last visited you, I am twice as good. You're a smart one and we could get it running in a half a day.

Hello old friend!

I would enjoy a day of wrench bending with you....alas I have fell on very restrictive financial times now. It will be a few years before I have any disposable income. I am willing to provide you with a room, shower, laundry and food if you need a respite along your journey. I can probably handle the buss myself. (except for that damn leaking torque converter seal)

Best Regards,
John
'72 westy 3TC
'79 westy 2000 F.I.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 06, 2018 6:48 am

soulful66 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:37 pm
Amskeptic wrote: John!

Hello old friend!

I would enjoy a day of wrench bending with you....alas I have fell on very restrictive financial times now. It will be a few years before I have any disposable income. I am willing to provide you with a room, shower, laundry and food if you need a respite along your journey. I can probably handle the buss myself. (except for that damn leaking torque converter seal)

Best Regards,
John
Let's keep an eye on the schedule. I am going clockwise and my first Main Lap Visit is Los Alamos NM.
Colin

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Wed May 09, 2018 5:32 pm

Sounds great Colin!
'72 westy 3TC
'79 westy 2000 F.I.

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Fri May 18, 2018 8:53 am

Hello old friends as well! I have been lurking once again after quite awhile. Perhaps it is Colin joining Facebook that got me back... :D I still have my bus, which now resides in a pole barn in Indiana where we moved four years ago from Colorado. Sadly I have done nothing to it since this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10603&p=197211#p197211.

I started pulling the engine in Colorado, and it's almost out...and the poor bus has been sitting now in a pole barn for four years like, "WELL? Are you going to finish this?!?!" I picked up a supposedly good "spare" 1976 2.0 liter engine in Denver before we moved. I have no idea if it is any good, but my plan was to remove the engine, swap in the '76, and see what I've got. I'd love to just be able to drive it again!

Anyway, it's good to be back and once again interested in the VW world. Colin, I see you have a free day on July 24 where you should be on the road between these stops:
Jul 23 D blue72beetle ................................ Fort Wayne IN
Jul 25 D alman72 ............................................. Midland MI

You will most definitely be driving right our place on your way to Midland. We are right off of I-69 & I-80 in northeast Indiana (Fremont) - only about 40 miles north of Fort Wayne. You are welcome to stay at our place (we've plenty of room), have a beer or three and some grub, and maybe...just maybe, I have a special "blast from the past" that might bring a tear to your eye. But in a good way. And we have a lake in our backyard if you want to do a little fishing. :) Not sure if I'm able to work out an actual "work" visit, but if you want to stop by you are always welcome.

At the very least we could recreate this pic with my daughter, who is now 14, entering high school next fall, and taller than you (and just a few inches away from me!)! Time flies.
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve
1978 Country Homes Camper conversion - "Gus"

http://gusthevwbus.com
http://freshandmodern.com/blog