Juliet, my 1978 Westy

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

russwiththebus
I'm New!

Re: Juliet, my 1978 Westy

Post by russwiththebus » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:14 pm

Juliet was blessed with a new starter motor today. Ever since the engine rebuild, I have long suspected starter issues. Hard starts were common as well as a grinding noise whilst cranking initially. Finally on my way to Cloudland Canyon for our New Years trip, it began to show signs of actually dying. Once we stopped at a gas station along the way and it took several cranking attempts before it would finally turn over. And on the last day when we were going home, it gave up for good. No signs of life when you turn the key. Luckily I had backed in to my spot and it was on a bit of a hill, so push starting was no issue. That was several weeks ago and I haven't touched it since arriving at home.

But with the new starter, it's simply amazing at how easily it fires now. One turn of the key and instant life. It's a beautiful thing.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Juliet, my 1978 Westy

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:43 am

russwiththebus wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:14 pm
it's simply amazing at how easily it fires now. One turn of the key and instant life. It's a beautiful thing.
That used to be a signature of air-cooled VWs in their youths. It was, after all, only our lowly VW bus that started in the cold winter morning just after Christmas 1970, putting to shame a:
1970 Mercedes 300SEL
1969 Toyota Corona
1971 Datsun 510
. . . and everybody fit into the VW to go to the movies, besides.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles