Gary The Grün

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tommu
Old School!

Re: Gary The Grün

Post by tommu » Fri May 12, 2017 3:08 pm

Passed SMOG. :bounce: :bounce: :cheers: :bounce: :bounce:

The combination of retarded timing, premium gas and properly functioning EGR did the trick. I would not have passed without either of those items. I still have the 49 state Emico CAT installed and it should be a 3 way CAT so I do wonder if that is not doing it's job. Robbie - I owe you more beer.

After taking off the clutch arm cover to lubricate I decided to change the cable, add a clevis pin, clean the Bowden tube and blow out the tunnel. Everything was bunged up with hardened grease. I now have some free play and a much smoother clutch peddle with more tactile feedback.

I then lubricated the rear shifter through middle and rear bushes and changed coupler. The old coupler was slightly bent out of shape. All this has resulted in a very much improved shifting experience. I still need to drop transmission to change all the boots and bushes but for now Gary is becoming ever more rewarding to drive.

Edit: The numbers:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Congratulations!

Now then, you erudite Brits don't know how to spell "pedal". You can peddle your pedals, but you cannot pedal your petals.
ColinWhoHasNotHadAnyBeer
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat May 13, 2017 12:43 am

Like I said in my text earlier- congrats! Now with the numbers in front of me, you can see where we richened the mixture in the hydrocarbon results (previously 50 and 65 ppm.) That little increase in fuel really did help cool the combustion reaction off, while the overall HC emissions are still boast-worthy low. You could probably take it three teeth richer on the AFM cog now, to get you into "preserve the valves and valve seats" territory and drive the crap out of it like it begs for.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:07 pm

Well it's been a while and this Busdepot refurb distributor is still sticking, around 4 degrees. When warm. With pertronix and with points. I sent an email to Busdepot. Is this unique or has anyone else been suffering from their 'refurbished' distributors?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:19 am

tommu wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:07 pm
Well it's been a while and this Busdepot refurb distributor is still sticking, around 4 degrees. When warm. With pertronix and with points. I sent an email to Busdepot. Is this unique or has anyone else been suffering from their 'refurbished' distributors?

I have seen sticking replacement distributors as well. Hanging at 16* once maximum advance is dialed in at 28*.

You do need to make sure that you have base idle speed under 1,000 rpm so the weights have a chance to fully retract.
Colin

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:24 am

I've gone through and disassembled several "Cardone" restored distributors that people bought from a local FLAPS house. They were all junk with heavily worn advance weights and pins. Sloppy advance plates that were sticky and the wrong vacuum cans attached. No wonder they sell for such low prices..
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:16 pm

I had hoped that Busdepot would be above such nonsense.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:57 pm

Yeah, that BD distributor felt tight in your bus, Tom. I have Emma and Sven's old spare BD SVDA as well, and it's still damn tight. It's been installed on three engines already to showcase how much better it is than a 009, but it too hangs up a few degrees on the advance side. Maybe I'll disassemble it and see if there is a fix we can do without too much modification. Because if we modify them, we can't send them back with Angry Notes.

AngryRobbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:46 am

One possible solution to the dearth of good-quality distributors is to run one of these 123Ignition fully electronic distributors.
Running at $400-$500, depending on options, it's not for the faint-of-wallet, but many of us have spent far more for non-essential fripperies that don't contribute materially to the healthy running of our beasts.
I have no direct experience with the 123Ignition dizzy, only one glowing anecdotal reference by a fellow sporting one in his pristine '65 912 who I chatted up in the Fry's parking lot.
Oh, by the by, I just passed smog too. 😎
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:11 pm

The bluetooth option certainly is interesting: http://123ignitionusa.com/bluetooth-tun ... -w-spacer/

tommu
Old School!

Oil Leaks

Post by tommu » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:24 pm

I have a persistent oil leak. It’s leaking onto the exhaust and the smell of burning oil is getting tired.

Oil collects on the tin under and above the pushrod tubes. Jon changed these before selling and I have now changed them twice. With viton seals. With die in the oil it looks like the leak is starting at the tubes - but I now think the source is higher up. After the last pushrod seal change I cleaned everything up as well as I could. Oil seams to be running down from the cylinder cooling fins, onto the pushrods and then collecting on the tin.

Here’s what I think I have established:

- Oil pressure switch looks dry from the top. If I pull the rubber seal I don’t see oil
- Oil cooler seals were changed by Jon before he sold the bus. Cooler looks clean and dry, I can’t see oil around the cooler seals.
- Fan is clean. Fan seal appears ok.
- Oil filter seal. From what I can see it looks dry. Oil does collect on the bottom of the filter
- Oil Filler now sealed
- Oil Dipstick sealed
- Leaking oil is dark. The oil in the engine is clean and must lighter.

Short of pulling the engine and tearing off all the tin I’m not sure where to look right now.

Pictures with pushrods out:

Pictures after new seals installed and a run at highway pressure. It needs pressure to leak like this:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Oil Leaks

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:11 am

tommu wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:24 pm
I have a persistent oil leak.

Clean more thoroughly, especially where the exhaust pipe is blocking the pushrod tube-to-head area. Try to be there when the first new oil shows up.
Distributor o-ring is good?
Colin

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:01 am

I cleaned, removed bottom tin and went for spin. On my return I could only see oil pooling on, or rather dripping from the tin above the pushrod tubes. I do not believe the tubes, oil-cooler, oil filter or valve covers are leaking. On the top, no evidence the pressure sensor is leaking (changed for good measure) and I see no evidence the distributer oil seal is leaking either. I am guessing this is either the front seal or the heads/jugs. Next stop is to drop the engine.

I have concerns anyway. Lifters are worn and I found a few small slithers of ferrous metal in the oil strainer. Looking forward to Dr Colin's prognosis in a couple of weeks..

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:48 am

Checking plugs today, and I noticed oil staining on the tun to the right of the spark plug hole. Further inspection shows it spraying up from the case side of the head. The top of the engine is otherwise dry.

Is this a clue that number 3 cylinder is not sealing to the head, or could this spray be from the front seal?
Attachments
E84180F8-03F8-43F6-AE7F-C58CB82D7DBE.jpg.jpg

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:54 pm

tommu wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:48 am
Checking plugs today, and I noticed oil staining on the TIN to the right of the spark plug hole. Further inspection shows it spraying up from the case side of the head. The top of the engine is otherwise dry.

Is this a clue that number 3 cylinder is not sealing to the head, or could this spray be from the front seal?
Man, this is weird. Spraying up?? Shine a light down there. Oil does not spray out of head/cylinder leaks! Get your forensics cap on. Consider air flow and gravity intelligently. There is a lot of air flow when underway. You can SEE the oil cooler seals from under the car right where it joins the case. Clean and inspect. Is your breather cork gasket good?
Colin