Thanks for adding me... and my projects

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sneaks
I'm New!

Re: Thanks for adding me... and my projects

Post by Sneaks » Mon May 06, 2019 11:19 am

The snow is almost gone so yesterday I dragged it out of the side yard and over to where I can work on it. It's been 6 years since it has run regularly and about 3 years since the last time it was started. I did the fuel lines in 2012 with Gates Barricade, but since fuel line is cheap and bay windows are not, I replaced it all again anyway.

Safety first!
IMG_4638.JPG
Reached the last bits, those connecting the fuel pump, and this is what I found :(.
IMG_4639.JPG
and of course this happened trying to remove them and clean it up, too bad because it did spin :(.
IMG_4641.JPG
Ordered up a new one plus a spare since I don't trust new parts any more, drained the tank and flushed it, then moved on. Changed the plugs, it was a little rich I guess
IMG_4634.JPG
Much better
IMG_4635.JPG
Poor thing couldn't breath :(
IMG_4637.JPG
Noticed it was a little saggy when crawling under it so reindexed the spring plates, down one, up one. Looks just about right. Will recheck it after it is rolling and I have the interior finished but at least for now, it sits level. While I was under there noticed that the passenger CV boots (Lobros) I put on right before it came off the road (about 100 miles on them, if that) were both hosed. The driver side ones I put on a year (and about 6000 miles) earlier both look great (Dorman from NAPA). Thought about replacing them while I had that side apart since I have a spare pair, but then decided I wasn't in the mood to burn all my clothes when I got done last night so will wait for another day...
IMG_4645.JPG
IMG_4646.JPG
Plow guy pushed the snow banks back a bit too aggressively this past winter, not sure how I'm going to approach this nose damage. Just a little lower and they probably would pop right back but unfortunately, it creased right on the bottom of the air vent :(
IMG_4647.JPG
IMG_4650.JPG
Hopefully the weather continues to cooperate...
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

Sneaks
I'm New!

Post by Sneaks » Mon May 13, 2019 6:27 am

Dash top panel out, cleaned up, painted.
IMG_4661.JPG
Need to replace washer hoses, clean up the wiring, and probably will do Colin's wiper refresh while in there.
IMG_4663.JPG
Rear tins cleaned up, painted. New alt belt, alt adjustment bracket "adjusted" (closed up so it holds again), belt adjusted. Oh. And I replaced my fan, I think it suffered a minor efficiency and balance issues...
IMG_4660.JPG
Supposed to snow tonight (yes, in May) so guess things will be delayed for a few days :(.
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 18, 2019 4:29 pm

Sneaks wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:27 am
And I replaced my fan, I think it suffered a minor efficiency and balance issues...

IMG_4660.JPG

That's just a Porsche modification to help it breath at higher rpm. Well, that's what they TOLE ME.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sneaks
I'm New!

Post by Sneaks » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:06 am

I had replaced all my fuel lines a few weeks ago, checked the CSV last week, cautiously optimistic that I would not become a statistic. Spent the morning replacing plugs, cap, rotor, condenser, filters, installed new fuel pump, cleaned grounds. Was holding off on putting in my new engine seal until deciding if would drop the engine.

This would be error number 1.

Before I tried firing it up, I pulled the valve cover off 1-2 to make sure I had my wires on right and when I think 1 is at TDC, it really is. It is. And will yah look at that, not bad for a 40 year old head. Look ma, no cavities! Yeh, my HX isn’t pretty, neither are those tins:(
IMG_4691.JPG
IMG_4691.JPG (1.62 MiB) Viewed 11296 times
While down there, slide an old hubcap to catch the nasties from when I hit the right CV with brake clean in prep for cleaning out the bolt heads. Which I did. A whole can just to be safe. Oops.
This would be error #2.

I remember that when I parked it 6 years ago, it had some funky stuff going on with the charging system, figured I’d get it to start, then I’d move to that stuff before I added my house battery.
This would be error #3.

Next to the rear deck lid, I had my extinguisher as i always do when working on any car.

This would be my saving grace.

Turned the key, she cranked started to run, then...
POP! WHHOOOOSSSSHH!
I looked back to see flames up through the hatch. Ran as fast as my little legs could go, grabbed the extinguisher, shot down though the hatch, then saw the glow underneath, emptied the contents by the back wheel.
Fire out.

Time for triage. To my surprise, it appears that a wire (is this the blue exciter wire?) to the regulator burnt up. Only one wire damaged. That’s it. No other wires show visible damage, though the plug has melted some. Btw, the alt light came on when I turned the key to start it before things went sideways. So, do I suspect the regulator?

IMG_4695.JPG
IMG_4695.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 11296 times
IMG_4696.JPG
IMG_4696.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 11296 times
IMG_4697.JPG
IMG_4697.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 11296 times
Underneath, dodged another bullet, when the hot stuff from the cooking wire fell down the crack between the tin where the seal should have been, igniting the brake clean crap in the hubcap, it cooked one other thing... the fuel line at the back of the FPR but NOT ALL THE WAY. Luck again. Cooked Gates hose looks kinda like a wasp nest. Interesting.
IMG_4694.JPG
IMG_4694.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 11296 times
What’s the takeaway from this?
1) don’t be lazy
2) don’t put off known problems
3) extinguishers are your friend
4) I’m going to (not) have fun sorting out my wiring:(
5) I got really, really lucky.

So the next day I needed an easy win. I pulled these:
IMG_4698.JPG
IMG_4698.JPG (869.74 KiB) Viewed 11296 times
and put in these:
IMG_4700.JPG
IMG_4700.JPG (704.27 KiB) Viewed 11296 times
IMG_4701.JPG
IMG_4701.JPG (1.92 MiB) Viewed 11296 times
I've been doing clinicals for my next level of EMS certification each night, hoping to get back to working on things this weekend... if it doesn't rain :(
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:39 pm

You are lucky. Did the blue wire from the regulator to the idiot light have a rectangular plastic connector block at the spade disconnect prior to the fire?

Save those original seats. Where did you get those barcalounger easy chairs?
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:43 pm

Sneaks wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:19 am
decided I wasn't in the mood to burn all my clothes

Did you change your mind?
Colin :cherry:

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:49 am

Hey, what is going on here? This is a very interesting thread. Any news, or updates?

Sneaks
I'm New!

Post by Sneaks » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:15 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:39 pm
You are lucky. Did the blue wire from the regulator to the idiot light have a rectangular plastic connector block at the spade disconnect prior to the fire?
I never paid attention to it before it became crispy. I would HOPE that I would have noticed an open connector just hanging there, waiting to short out, but very good chance I didn't. The wire stopped being fried just past the wheel well in the harness. A new one has been spliced in, though I haven't tested anything other than continuity at this point.
Save those original seats. Where did you get those barcalounger easy chairs?
Colin
I've got the originals going up in the attic, they are in really good shape so holding onto them. The big overstuffed honeybuns I got at the dump. Up here in rural nowhere, the dump serves 5 towns and doesn't have a "no picking" policy except for the metal pile. I've gotten some decent stuff, especially on Sunday evenings when the yard sales end and they don't want to pack stuff up again so they drop it off at the dump. From what I can tell, they came out of a Gladiator conversion van. Suspect they are the middle or back seats, very little wear on them and oooohhhh so plush. Kept the swivel function on the passenger side but not the driver side, though I do have the pedestal, it would be too tall for my short legs to reach the pedals.
Amskeptic wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:43 pm
Sneaks wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:19 am
decided I wasn't in the mood to burn all my clothes

Did you change your mind?
Colin :cherry:
Ha! Well, you know how it goes. You get under there to do one thing and the next thing you know you are elbows deep in something else, kinda like watching a how-to on youtube, three hours later you are watching dogs running into glass doors videos. So while I didn't burn my clothes with the fire, I did do that axle. That crap boot has been bugging me so I pulled the axle and went to town. Better half came outside while I was wrapping up, walked back in, came out again with a sheet. Told me to strip and wrap up in the sheet cuz there was no way in hell I was going into the house with those clothes on. Didn't burn them but they did go to the landfill :). Guess which boot was FUBAR?
IMG_4774.JPG
IMG_4774.JPG (254.34 KiB) Viewed 11251 times
IMG_4773.JPG
IMG_4773.JPG (176.42 KiB) Viewed 11251 times
IMG_4769.JPG
IMG_4769.JPG (225.41 KiB) Viewed 11251 times
IMG_4768.JPG
IMG_4768.JPG (217.6 KiB) Viewed 11251 times
Figure before I put the axle back in, I'm dismantling the rear brakes while it is up on stands, replace shoes, lines, hardware, clean stuff up. Something went "POP!" and now there's squishing noises when pushing on the brake pedal, no obvious puddles so not a line, hoping it is a wheel cylinder but fear it might be the master into the booster. Still has some resistance, only pressed once just in case it was the MC. Will see what is up once the rain stops. I'm determined this thing will be on the road, legal, and used for pleasure at least once before snow flies, which lately is October, so I have to get crackin'!
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

Sneaks
I'm New!

Post by Sneaks » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:34 am

Wiring replaced. Wouldn't start, would hit on one cylinder but that was it. Verified firing order and TDC on #1. All good.
Ohm test on plug wires. All good.
For giggles, took off the new Bosch cap, replaced with an old Echlin in my spares box - fired right up, idled for 5-10 seconds and slowly died. Started right back up and dies if not on the accelerator. Take aways?
1) Bosch ignition stuff is not what it used to be. I've had bad NIB points, plugs, cap, condenser.
2) I have a vacuum leak.

Got my new guide block and rolling in for the slider, moves like spreading buttah :). One drum off, adjusters soaking, other side can't get off yet, adjusters on that side soaking too. I hate drum brakes, not because of performance but replacing them sucks. Supposed to be nice again today, fingers crossed to get more done.
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:12 am

Sneaks wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:34 am
I hate drum brakes, not because of performance but replacing them sucks.

Suck it up! Drum brakes are great!
Chloe

Sneaks
I'm New!

Post by Sneaks » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:33 pm

Nope. Still don't like them.
:)
All the brakes have been replaced, new MC, rebuilt calipers, all hard and soft lines, wheel cylinders, rotors, etc. So glad that is done.
I hates it.
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:11 am

Sneaks wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:33 pm
Nope. Still don't like them.
:)
All the brakes have been replaced, new MC, rebuilt calipers, all hard and soft lines, wheel cylinders, rotors, etc. So glad that is done.
I hates it.

I think we need to drag you out into the middle of .... Wisconsin .... and replace the brake booster in a field.
You VILL like brake verk!
Kolin

Sneaks
I'm New!

Post by Sneaks » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:23 am

NEVAH!!! Nope!

Weather and work have put a few wrenches in the progress. My friend Jay came over from NH to hang out for a day with his '77 Westy Seamus that he pulled out of a field last year and has it on the road this year. Talk about making me feel lazy!!
IMG_4918.JPG
IMG_4918.JPG (1 MiB) Viewed 10571 times
IMG_4919.JPG
IMG_4919.JPG (2.95 MiB) Viewed 10571 times
IMG_4920.JPG
IMG_4920.JPG (117.98 KiB) Viewed 10571 times
A few weekends ago it was sunny for a day and I was off, this happened...
IMG_5015.JPG
IMG_5015.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 10571 times
Found this
IMG_5010.JPG
IMG_5010.JPG (565.68 KiB) Viewed 10571 times
and this
IMG_5013.JPG
IMG_5013.JPG (674.26 KiB) Viewed 10571 times
Spent the nights over the next few weeks when the sun was out cutting out and welding in new metal, smoothing, and generally cleaning up the channels.

Got up Sunday, the sun was out, I wasn't on call, the weather was warm, slight breeze, NO BUGS, so I shot primer :)
IMG_5026.JPG
IMG_5026.JPG (687.28 KiB) Viewed 10571 times
IMG_5033.JPG
IMG_5033.JPG (575.42 KiB) Viewed 10571 times
IMG_5035.JPG
IMG_5035.JPG (841.13 KiB) Viewed 10571 times
Next few days are supposed to be similar weather, hoping to lay the color on, get the windows back in, get a used windshield cuz my original one is all fogged and cracked, then put it back together. One must have goals, right???
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Well, that is pretty good! Yer on it!
Colin