Prep for IAC Visit: Exhaust

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Prep for IAC Visit: Exhaust

Post by appetite » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:47 am

Kind forum,

In preparation for Colin's visit in May, I am gathering parts. Our primary goal for the day will be to address the exhaust system. My 69 bus has a 1600 DP with an aftermarket muffler that is held together with bailing wire!

Do we have opinions on any of the following products?

Full exhaust system:

http://www.busdepot.com/211251053ec

Muffler only, made in Denmark:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 211251051E

Are there other parts will I need?

Thanks,

James

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Prep for IAC Visit: Exhaust

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:34 pm

appetite wrote:Kind forum,

In preparation for Colin's visit in May, I am gathering parts. Our primary goal for the day will be to address the exhaust system. My 69 bus has a 1600 DP with an aftermarket muffler that is held together with bailing wire!

Do we have opinions on any of the following products?

Full exhaust system:

http://www.busdepot.com/211251053ec

Muffler only, made in Denmark:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 211251051E

Are there other parts will I need?

Thanks,

James
There's a thread in the Engine Forum titled, "Type 2 Mufflers" . . .

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=12357

No one on this forum has any idea the condition of your heat exchangers. You need to look at them to see if the jackets are all sloppy loose, if the collars between the exchangers and the fresh air hoses are there, etc. Look at the photographs in the Bentley manual and go do an inventory.

Danish (Dansk) sucks. Leistritz seems good.
Yes, you will need muffler/muffler gasket kit, tailpipe (make sure you get the correct Baywindow tailpipe that leads out straight, no dip) /tailpipe bracket/tailpipe gasket kit.

You have been moved to the Type 2 Forum. The Itinerary Forums are not the spot for generic inquiries, but my PM box sure is . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Post by appetite » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:34 pm

Well, that was brusque....

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:54 pm

Hi Appetite,

I just bought and installed the Bus Depot full muffler kit. Overall, I think it's a good muffler. The only critique is the fresh air pipes on the muffler could be a bit longer to hook up to the heater boxes with the provided wide clamp. Other than that, It's thick metal and sounds great.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:46 pm

wcfvw69 wrote: ... the Bus Depot full muffler kit.
Did the muffler in that kit have any sort of ID as to brand/mfgr/countryoforigin/etc? Bus Depot sure likes to keep their cards close to their bosoms.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:05 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Here's a thread that shows the manufactures box.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:19 pm

appetite wrote:Well, that was brusque....
Please do not take it personally. I have hundreds upon hundreds of requests that I am trying my best to field right now, and if I get spread all over theSamba inbox, my two email addresses, where people have different names to confuse me, my PM box here, and then requests in threads, I will get so very very lost.

I have asked of all youse for over a decade that I be PM'd with any questions at all regarding parts, scheduling, conceptual questions, it is a simple request that allows me to update my dossiers.

Your post was an open-ended "to all" request, I get that, and there are many who can answer your questions, but it would gluck up the Itinerary Forums if I processed any appointment parts requests there, or opened up those threads to generic topics that are covered, as linked, elsewhere. I moved your post to here so you can have greater exposure to people who can answer you.

I attempted to answer your question, regardless, with an entreaty for you to check your particular car so you can assess its condition regarding completeness and a few suggestions as to what to look for as far as "loose jackets" and so forth. If I add up the time to answer your question, provide links, move the topic to what I thought was a better place, and update your file on what your particular issues are, "brusque" is not the word that comes to mind. . . and I still don't know what the condition of your exchangers is, so I and others are still in the dark as to what the best recommendation is to offer you.
Colin

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:01 pm

wcfvw69 wrote: Here's . . . the manufactures box .
Ah, "JP Group" I see. That's the outfit that makes Dansk mufflers - wonder if it's any different?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:09 pm

kreemoweet wrote:
Ah, "JP Group" I see. That's the outfit that makes Dansk mufflers - wonder if it's any different?
Dansk has been a source of misery for me for many years . . . .

Leistritz has been acceptable.

We have new boutique exhaust concerns creating stainless steel art, if I could find a good one that actually fit well, I would consider one as a last-system-ever-needed major expense .
Colin

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:55 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:
Dansk has been a source of misery for me for many years . . . .

Leistritz has been acceptable.

We have new boutique exhaust concerns creating stainless steel art, if I could find a good one that actually fit well, I would consider one as a last-system-ever-needed major expense .
Colin
According to Bus Depot (*cough* marketing) it's the best muffler they can purchase right now. I've bought Dansk bug mufflers in the past that where poor language producing, pieces of crap. You couldn't get them on the exhaust studs and heater boxes with everything loose. The metal was thinner. The preheat pipes where in the wrong spots, etc.. This one slipped on firmly and I didn't even loosen the heater boxes. The preheat pipes where in the correct spots for an easy bolt line up. As I mentioned, the only red flag for me was the fresh air pipes didn't line up very well with the heater boxes. The large clamp BARELY covered the gap between the two. I also needed to slot the pre-heat nipple to fit over the pipe off the exhaust on the drivers side for it to sit down in place on the muffler.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:26 pm

Amskeptic wrote: We have new boutique exhaust concerns creating stainless steel art, if I could find a good one that actually fit well, I would consider one as a last-system-ever-needed major expense .
Colin
I mentioned the fit of the Vintage Speed exhaust being on par with the NOS Leistritz muffler. It's beautiful in fit and finish. However, it's as loud as a train on a stock engine on the highway. Not good for cross-country jaunts…

I have contacted the lead fabricator about making a stock size and volume muffler, and he said it's already in the works for commercial production, or they can custom make it now. The stock bug version was released early this year, and "spring 2015" is the expected bus muffler release date. They're also working on incorporating a flowing preheat pipe, rather than a simple back and forth cheap add on like most aftermarket headers have.

Apologies if I've beat this brand muffler to death, but I really did enjoy installing it two years ago.

Robbie

1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:40 am

asiab3 wrote: Apologies if I've beat this brand muffler to death, but I really did enjoy installing it two years ago.
Robbie
Is that obnoxiously monstrous tail pipe part of the bellowing effect?
Colin :blackeye: