Pdx peeps: looking for something, and need recommendations

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Pdx peeps: looking for something, and need recommendations

Post by Marya70Riviera » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:46 pm

1. Can you recommend a place to get original key copied? I read somewhere that not all places still do those old style keys.

2. Anyone happen to have a spare tire I could buy, if it's decent enough to actually use for several miles should it come to that (e.g. not terribly old/worn), affordable within reason and appropriately-sized for my bus? I don't really understand the latter issue re. size and whether it really matters. I bought 4 new BF Goodrich r14 AT tires and and thanks to Neal (sorry Neal - forgetting what your online user name is right now!) I now have a 5th wheel to go on the nose of the bus. Note to self: must buy off-white Rustolium spray if it even comes in off-white! Just had it sand-blasted in fact, at Portland Powder Coating (which I might add, was the least expensive place out of the 5 I called in the Portland area...that's worth knowing)! They said I need to do something fast before it rusts but because I didn't have it powder-coated when I had my original wheels powder-coated, it would cost more to have them do it now. So, I need a tire to go on that wheel. They had to cut the one that was on there, Neal, but you said it was shot anyway. Does it matter if I get a spare tire that isn't also an AT r14 tire like the BFGs?

If no one here has one, where would you suggest I pick one up?

Look how great the new wheels with tires look! :cherry: I just got the gray powder-coated hubcaps delivered yesterday. I broke down and ordered them as mine were totally shot and I wanted them to look like they originally looked when my grandpa bought the bus new, which were gray. Can hardly wait to see what they look like on the bus with fresh wheels and new tires! :bounce:
Attachments
New tires and freshly done wheels on bus!.jpg

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Re: Pdx peeps: looking for something, and need recommendatio

Post by Marya70Riviera » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:48 pm

The man, installing the wheel. :)
Attachments
The man, installing the wheel.jpg

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:49 pm

Won't these hubcaps look great?! :bounce:
Attachments
New hubcaps.jpg

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:47 pm

Purdy! :flower:
Attachments
Tires mounted to wheels .jpg

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:48 pm

But as you can see... my poor bus has been through the wringer and still has a long ways to go. :(

To be done next (making this list more for me than anyone else, lol, just pretend you care):

1. New (hopefully original german kind) driver's door handle needs to replace my broken one
2. Spray paint spare tire wheel, get a spare tire, and buy a white spare tire cover (friend is doing a mural on it!)
3. Any electrical/fuses that might be needed, and put a new aux. battery in the old one's place (if I'll be camping soon anyway)
4. See if there's a SAFE way to install/replace the foam insulation (still there) if it's needed at all...something that won't result in rust due to not allowing breathing or drainage etc.
5. From there, install new flooring (got samples recently which I like well enough - some white/off-white linoleum or a gray kind that looks a tiny bit like one of the original westy floors since I can't find anything that matched my original Rivi floor:

http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/vinyl ... 120695.asp

http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna ... _id=108863

http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna ... m_id=64722

http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/vinyl ... 120667.asp

http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/vinyl ... 123174.asp

6. Also need to put a new metal strip along the sliding door. Then FINALLY put and bolt furniture back in place!

7. Clean pop top, pop top tent (only has one small tear in the screen - that's it! But it's dirty) and bus thoroughly

8. Replace rubber seals where needed (ugh - probably everywhere). No rust issues around seals for the most part though so that's good.

9. Good cleaning and waxing to restore original paint as best as possible? Not sure how/if rust spots should be dealt with timing-wise re. waxing or if it just gets dealt with from the process of using a compound and waxing etc. Can't afford to repaint car and not sure I'd want to except for in bad areas (can new paint match old paint well enough e.g. after restoring old paint as much as possible, or is that just a joke and it'll never match? Is it a bonus in this case having a white bus??). My paint color is Lotus White.

10. Then what?!! I don't know. I know there's a transmission issue (supposedly slips out of 3rd gear) but I didn't experience that the one short time I drove it - which doesn't mean the issue won't suddenly reappear once I take a real drive. It's funny cause this whole "project" began with the intention of dealing with the transmission above and beyond all else and now it's become the last thing to be dealt with! But I'm glad we're taking care of things the way we are (tune-up, new battery and safety first!). Brakes are done but when I take my first drive with new brakes and tires I'll have to get a feel for suspension. Hopefully that's fine. Clutch seemed fine (so far). So tranny will have to be dealt with obviously since I'm not willing to go camping holding the gear in place the whole time!! There's also an oil leak, and if the engine's dropped it would also be a good time to do a couple of other things maybe. Needs a new muffler but not terribly. Might need to have the carb. rebuilt too but for now it may be okay enough. I'd LOVE to repair the battery trays and rear quarter panel (?) or rear corner sections to get rid of that ugly and dangerous rust... but it sounds uber expensive so may have to be put off.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:54 pm

Can't help with the tire, but we've got the blank for that key at work. Come see me and we'll get that taken care of .. as long as it isn't tomorrow, because I don't work tomorrow. :cyclopsani:

I think I've got a door handle available. If we swap the lock part from yours it'll work with the original key. I'll check when i head to the garage later to check on some cabinet pieces I lacquered .. plus the garage is where I keep the scotch. :bounce:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:02 pm

tristessa wrote:Can't help with the tire, but we've got the blank for that key at work. Come see me and we'll get that taken care of .. as long as it isn't tomorrow, because I don't work tomorrow. :cyclopsani:

I think I've got a door handle available. If we swap the lock part from yours it'll work with the original key. I'll check when i head to the garage later to check on some cabinet pieces I lacquered .. plus the garage is where I keep the scotch. :bounce:
Thanks so much Hal! That would be so great! It might sound silly but I really want to use my grandpa's key as opposed to having to get all new keys. It's upsetting (even sillier) at having to get rid of the door handle that he touched thousands of times. My god I'm way too sentimental!

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:03 pm

No problem. I went out and I do have a handle in good condition, though I had to clean some paint overspray off of it with lacquer thinner.

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:08 pm

Awesome!!!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:16 pm

Sometimes early/late handles aren't compatible, not sure if that's the case with Buses. My Bug had an issue with the tumblah.
I would check with Schwab about tires, or even call around used tire shops. I don't think the LT matters with a spare, as long as you don't drive around 1000 miles with it.
Me, I would wash it and wax-extremely with my favorite, "New Finish" in that orange bottle. It really holds up.
I do think that engine has to come out, if it's leaking oil just sitting there it will make a big puddle come summertime.
Steps! Life is an insane amount of steps...
Keep that wheel inside your house and I'll paint it the next time I see you. It won't rust that way.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:17 pm

Thanks Bob! Crap - I forgot to pick up the wheel! I hope it's not already rusty! :silent:

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:23 pm

If it's not outside getting rained on there shouldn't be much rust to worry about. Get a can of self-etching primer that's compatible with the paint being used and go to town.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:01 am

Marya70Riviera wrote: To be done next (making this list more for me than anyone else, lol, just pretend you care):
You be careful there. You are veering close to the very locus of Volkswagen insanity, and you may find yourself battling the fluffy white lint of OCD Care?-We-Care against your sticky velcro master list of things to do. You'll see.
I will be right here, "hey Marya70Riviera, have you waxed your intake air plenum YET? WELL?"
Colin :blackeye:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:51 pm

You need to get some crust in there, somebody gonna wonder what you've been up to.
(Just removed an original brake fluid reservoir - 46 years! And painted underneath. No waxing though, that's nuts sir)
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:30 pm

hambone wrote:You need to get some crust in there, somebody gonna wonder what you've been up to.
(Just removed an original brake fluid reservoir - 46 years! And painted underneath. No waxing though, that's nuts sir)
Good thing for me I have no idea what an intake air plenum is!! :scratch: :study: