Cheapest place in Portland to do tire-install only?!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Cheapest place in Portland to do tire-install only?!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:37 pm

Yikes - I'm really dominating the forum lately! :pirate:

I have a Xmas Amazon gift card I could actually use - combined with Prime 2-day free shipping - to buy BF Goodrich LT tires for my '70 camper. I really want those tires in case things get a bit challenging during camping spots, as opposed to the less expensive Hancook non-AT tires. So using Amazon would be $100 cheaper due to the gift card (they sell for $144 each) but of course most places aren't going to install my tires that I didn't buy from them, without charging a lot. I've been told $80 by the place on Killingsworth, which would actually be giving me a break, but the savings - while being some - just aren't enough (I could get a true $100 bucks off something totally unrelated on amazon that I also need/want, rather than losing some and it only being worth $50 or less, if that makes sense).

Can you think of any place in the Portland area that might charge less than $80 to install 4 tires? Is that a ridiculous notion? Thanks!

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: Cheapest place in Portland to do tire-install only?!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:01 pm

Don't know if they would do it but you might want to try Les Schwab. I know they go out of their way for customer service especially if it means you might be a customer next time.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:04 pm

Westy78 wrote:Don't know if they would do it but you might want to try Les Schwab. I know they go out of their way for customer service especially if it means you might be a customer next time.
Thanks but they said they can't do it unless I buy the tires from them cause they wouldn't be able to guarantee their work if they can't guarantee the tires.

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:18 pm

If you hand them rims&tires, you might get the bottom rate.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:36 pm

I had mine done at Double J Tire on MLK, think they charged me $12 each for mount & balance.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:51 pm

I've been going to the shop at that nasty intersection of 50th and Powell where Foster veers off. He's on the south side of Powell, just before the light. I can never remember the name of it. Always V-Dub recommended him when I bought a set of tires for Gretchen Ghia there.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:57 pm

tristessa wrote:I had mine done at Double J Tire on MLK, think they charged me $12 each for mount & balance.
Dingdingding!!
12$with balancing?
DingDingDing.winner
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:26 pm

Boxcar wrote:If you hand them rims&tires, you might get the bottom rate.
You mean if I just walk in ready to go as opposed to calling first? Cause of course I'd have those with me but I think I see what you're saying. Thanks for the suggestions.

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:30 pm

tristessa wrote:I had mine done at Double J Tire on MLK, think they charged me $12 each for mount & balance.
That's an improvement! Thanks Hal! Oh and by the way - while I have your attention (if I have your attention) - thank you thank you thank you for Bob (Hambone). I'm so grateful to you for pointing me in his direction. He's given me so much hope about the bus and has got it up and running. :bounce: There's still a lot to be done (he's almost done with brakes, and then the wheels are almost done being sandblasted and powder-coated) and then the new tires will go on...then there's the transmission issue we'll have to get a better feel for once I feel safe driving it around more. But he got it out of a deep, 21-year coma, and it sounds pretty darn good to me.

:salute: =D> :salute:

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:35 pm

ruckman101 wrote:I've been going to the shop at that nasty intersection of 50th and Powell where Foster veers off. He's on the south side of Powell, just before the light. I can never remember the name of it. Always V-Dub recommended him when I bought a set of tires for Gretchen Ghia there.

neal
Thanks Neal! I'll bet I could figure out the name by googling that area (or I could just visit)! Hey I PM'd you on thesamba (before hearing you rarely go there anymore) and asked what ever became of the video you were making a zillion years ago (about 10 years ago) about Colin's visit to Portland. I met you one time I think at Lucky Lab when you were telling me about it. Anyway I just wanted you to know that Colin sent me the link and I saw that video plus a few more you did and I love them all. You're good at that! :) Makes me want to get the bus done soon soon soon so I can go on one of those camping trips!!

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:37 pm

Boxcar wrote:
Dingdingding!!
12$with balancing?
DingDingDing.winner
Haha yeah sounds pretty good!

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:12 pm

I realized I needed to find out how much I'll be charged to mount and balance tires, prior to just showing up with tires, because otherwise it may not worth it to order the tires I want from amazon (gift card I was given)...money could be spent on something else at Amazon if I don't get a good enough deal re. mounting/balancing.

So I called Double J Tire on MLK - the place Hal recommended - and sure enough they are $12 per tire (plus I think a $3 disposal fee per tire but I'd already given mine to Les Schwab to dispose of). Sounds like this will be the way to go! Thanks Hal (geez I'm thanking you a lot lately)...

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:25 pm

I woulda been dead long long ago if not for Hal.
XO
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat