any one deal with tire-easy.com?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

any one deal with tire-easy.com?

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:09 pm

We're doing a little camping in the bus in a couple of weeks (long, long, LONG over due!) and it's more than 50 miles from the house, so the dry rotted, cupped, and not so legally plugged front tires (had a screw go the lip between the tread and the sidewall) have gotta go. Thought about buying cheaper passenger tires for all four corners, but figured I can get two good hankooks for the front for about the same price. The rears aren't dry rotted, still have decent tread, and are wearing perfectly even, so figure they can wait a bit.

Anyone deal with tire-easy? they've got the hankook's for about 85.00 a piece plus about 11.00 shipping.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: any one deal with tire-easy.com?

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:04 am

I used Tire Rack online, and was pleased with price and service. Savings was 60.00 a tire over the best local price.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:14 am

Thanks! I checked out tirerack, but did not find the RA08 listed...only have the RA07, and although it was a heavy load tire, did not come in bus sizes.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:15 pm

It's an industry practice (which doesn't necessarily mean you should do it…) that a set of two new tires on any vehicle are to be installed in the rear. I know the factory wants us to running a higher pressure in the rear tires of our rear engine rear wheel drive Volkswagens, (see where I'm going yet?) so perhaps you could switch the OK tires to the front and put the new Hankooks on the rear. I would feel safer that way, especially loaded down with family and camping gear.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:51 pm

yes, I'm aware of that new standard...started just a couple of years ago. Will either rotate them myself, or have them rotate them for me.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:15 am

asiab3 wrote:It's an industry practice (which doesn't necessarily mean you should do it…) that a set of two new tires on any vehicle are to be installed in the rear..
I was wondering about the wisdom of this myself, especially since it's the front tires of a front-wheel vehicle that do all the work of powering, steering, etc. But when I went on line to find out more, the Michelin web site explained that in a skid situation, you have some control over getting the front tires to re-grip by turning into the skid, but you have no control over what the rear tires are doing, so it is best to put the tires with the best tread there. That made sense to me.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:42 pm

Suggestion: Find the best web price you can (include shipping) and see if your local tire guy can get close to that price. Mine actually beat it by 5%. I want the local guy to stay in business since I might need him someday. They make all their money in mounting and balancing anyway. I bring in my own steel valve stems as I hate the rubber ones.
79 VW Bus

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:56 pm

Randy in Maine wrote: I bring in my own steel valve stems.
Gotta link to an example? You've experienced problems with the typical rubber/brass jobbies?

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:58 am

I had some of those cheap rubber ones supplied by a tire shop that always leaked. I think they all got recalled a few years ago.

I just supply my own so that I will know what I have. I only buy tires about every 6 years so it is not a common thing for me to do.
79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:02 am

Randy in Maine wrote:I had some of those cheap rubber ones supplied by a tire shop that always leaked. I think they all got recalled a few years ago.
They did. Discount Tire got bit but good. Chinese valve stems leaking at the valves and tearing at the rim. The Road warrior got a whole set of defective valve stems with the Michelin LTX tires in Lavonia Michigan in 2007. Had to replace them in some midwest locale or another.

It would help if we consumers would get more irritated more often. I am leading the charge . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:40 am

Randy in Maine wrote:Suggestion: Find the best web price you can (include shipping) and see if your local tire guy can get close to that price. Mine actually beat it by 5%. I want the local guy to stay in business since I might need him someday. They make all their money in mounting and balancing anyway. I bring in my own steel valve stems as I hate the rubber ones.
Will give them a call...firm believer in helping local economy. Just the other day, I bought a new rear tire for my Harley at a local Indy repair shop, he gave me 10% off of list (the HD Stealer was charging 5% ABOVE list wtf?) on all the parts. Cost me maybe $30 more than ordering on line, but he had it in stock, so figured it was worth the convenience. Besides, I had a nice chat with the owners wife while I waited, and got to pet their dog.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

rallybug
Getting Hooked!

Post by rallybug » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:28 am

I used them - they also list local fitters for you that will fit tires not supplied by them.

Very satisfied.
Harvee the Wonder Bus - a 1979 CA-spec 7-seater bus

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:09 pm

I called the local installer used by tire-easy.com. I asked if they could sell them to me; she said they could only order them from Coker Tire...but said they would be happy to install them if ordered them on line. Should be there on Friday.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:36 am

Just a quick update - Before I placed the order on-line on Tuesday, I called to confirm that they had them in stock. The fellow who answered the phone confirmed, but since it was after 1p they wouldn't ship until the following day, Weds, however, assured me they would be delivered by Friday. Didn't get a shipment notification email yesterday, so called this morning - fellow said they didn't ship yesterday, but would ship today.

Not impressed so far; if they do not ship today, I will most likely cancel my order, so I can reorder from a different vendor and be assured it will get delivered next week before we go camping.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Tire place called..tires are there :scratch: They hit there committed delivery date, so guess can't complain! Tripod will get two new shoes tomorrow! :joker:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod