Constant shifter rattle

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

aopisa
Addicted!

Constant shifter rattle

Post by aopisa » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:40 am

Last year during Colin's visit we tinkered with the rear shift coupler. I had a rattle that could be quieted by moving the shifter a few centimeters while in gear. I had a new coupler which looked like it was made of some really cheap metal and the bushings are made of some hard plastic. The decision was made to work with the OE coupler and bushings. I believe Colin reshaped the the coupler using some channel locks or something. We had four people working on the bus at once so I think I may have been sanding the front rotors at the time and I am not sure what exactly was done.

As all Colin visits are a whirlwind that causes memory failure, I don't think we ever took the bus for a final test drive. Upon driving it the next day, I discovered that the shifter now annoyingly rattles at certain cruising speeds and it cannot be quieted as it could be previously. In first and second it is almost constant. In third above 30mph and in fourth above 45mph. It's a little more prevalent at lower speeds on dirt roads than paved roads.

I have tried adjusting the stop plate. The front bushing is there. I can't remember if the middle "shuttlecock" bushings are in place, but I think they are and anyway that requires an engine pull to get to them.

Is there something I can do that will return the rattle to it's previous quieter state? Or did Colin's repair unmask a more deep rooted problem?

Thanks
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: Constant shifter rattle

Post by sped372 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:04 am

I have noticed that unbalanced rear wheels tend to increase shifter vibrations... not exactly a cure to your problem but thought it was related enough to mention.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Constant shifter rattle

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:38 am

aopisa wrote:Last year during Colin's visit we tinkered with the rear shift coupler. I had a rattle that could be quieted by moving the shifter a few centimeters while in gear.
I believe Colin reshaped the the coupler using some channel locks or something.
I discovered that the shifter now annoyingly rattles at certain cruising speeds and it cannot be quieted as it could be previously.

Or did Colin's repair unmask a more deep rooted problem?
Order a new shift coupler from German Supply or somebody who cares, and stick it in. See what happens.
The deep-rooted problem is driveline loosening up:
hockey stick ball
hockey stick bushings
main bearings
pilot bearing
shifter fork/synchro hubs
Anything that allows the transaxle to vibrate gets passed along.
Do a cylinder test on a warm engine to let us know if each cylinder is participating equally. Each spark plug wire pull should yield a 75-100 rpm drop from a 950 or so initial idle.

If you can find me while I am in New Jersey next week . . . I'll have a listen if it is not 40* rain.
ColinClearwaterFL
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles