Snow adventures

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

NakedonaHorse
I'm New!

Snow adventures

Post by NakedonaHorse » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:19 am

Ok, so this is a little late, but I figured, better late than never.

I think my van has completely won my heart after the crazy blizzard. :cheers: The short story: (for the long story see my blog http://www.motopainter.wordpress.com)

I am currently living in Happy Valley up a steep hill. The snow storm hit Thursday and how fun it was to watch drivers in the neighborhood get stuck, slide and block traffic on the hill outside the house. Unfortunately for me, this was the one weekend that I really did need to leave the house. I had to get my art in to Portland for a big show, and if I didn't go I'm the one that misses out.

My options for locomotion are, my 1997 6cycander small pick up truck with no weight in the bed, or the van. First thing Friday morning at around 6:30AM I find myself in the driveway putting chains on the Van. I never thought the day would come that the Van would save the day and sure enough it did. The Van enabled me to go down AND UP this very steep hill with out a slip. I was also able to get into Portland via 82nd to deliver my art, as well as get home, and then go back to pick it up on Sunday.

Hurray for Noah(van) my snowy savior.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: Snow adventures

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:35 am

What, you didn't take the 650 Honda? :rabbit:

Have to love having the weight of the engine sitting directly over the drive wheels. When i was in college, I had a 71 Westy, that thing would go through anything without getting stuck.

My wife and I both ride. She started on a Ninja 250 too (we called it the Ninjette), then she went to a 650r. We do a lot of long rides and road trips, so she's now on a 1200 sprortster with mid controls (I about fell off my chair when she said she wanted a sportster, as she always was a diehard sports bike fan and vowed never to ride a Harley).

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:34 pm

Good to see NOAH has secured a place in your heart.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:57 pm

Put chains on these rigs and they're damn near unstoppable.

I got aroundsans chains just fine, but I'm running BFG all-terrains .. and I don't live on a hill. As long as I can make it the 1.5 blocks from my house to 82nd, I can get anywhere else in the city I need to go.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:17 pm

Glad to see it's still alive!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:06 pm

Outstanding!
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:44 am

I just drove a '75 bus on the nastiest hill imaginable (it had run-off flows from one side of the road to the other at every curve that freeze long diagonal pure ice build-ups ) with summer Firestone tires. Did fine.
Part of the driving lesson for my customer was:
Steer or Slow . . . Pick one (at a time) only.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

NakedonaHorse
I'm New!

Post by NakedonaHorse » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:37 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
My wife and I both ride. She started on a Ninja 250 too (we called it the Ninjette), then she went to a 650r. We do a lot of long rides and road trips, so she's now on a 1200 sprortster with mid controls (I about fell off my chair when she said she wanted a sportster, as she always was a diehard sports bike fan and vowed never to ride a Harley).
That's why we want to upgrade to Tigers, comfy and not Harley's :-)

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:15 pm

In the name of full disclosure, I ride a Harley. Nothing special - it's a stripped down '04 softail (no bags, no fairing, no windshield). I have about 33k miles on it...wish I had more. I like the 'crudeness' of it...kind of like driving a 60's or early 70's muscle car.

But I appreciate all bikes. I will say that I belong to a ride club, and I think I'm only one of two (maybe three) Harleys in the club. LOVED the neutral balance of my wife's Ninja 650R; it was so flickable, and quick! (although riding more than 30 minutes was uncomfortable for me), and I also have an 81 Suzuki GS650G, which is an excellent example of the late 70's and early 80's UJMs. It packs quite a few features for the day, dual disk brakes, shaft drive, and an absolute joy to ride, yet still has the simplicity of being air cooled :flower: . If I had an extra 6k-8k lying around, would like to get my hands on a mid 2000's BMW R series (I think BMW has gone astray as of late, some lower end bikes are manuf. in China, and have friends who own high end late models which have been troublesome) . And for some odd reason, I lust after the 1200 series Goldwings made from 83/84 or so until 86ish. They just scream 80's, you can get them cheap, and think it would be fun to have a Lazy-boy on wheels for an occasional Sunday ride, or for my 65 mile round trip to work. Also two up friendly (although since my wife rides, and my 16 yo daughter has her own life, I rarely ride two up any more). Classic Guzzi's are cool too...love the V Twin turned sideways.

Bottom line, pretty much anything with two wheels are cool! Even Harleys :pirate:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:07 am

Love those moto paintings!

please post shows N.O.A.H.

my best/worst snow car was a 914.
On full snows it was fineish.

Of course I elected to drive on summer tires in the snow.
But once...after a highy lively highway slog, got to my road was rejected.Undaunted I dropped tire pressure to like 15 or so and got in just as snow height started to hug the floorpans:)
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:52 pm

Good to hear your ok. Stop by the lab sometime and update us all. Did you get the rear seat up?
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.