'81 injected, ca., 2.0 motor in a '74 bus

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

westyfrank
I'm New!

'81 injected, ca., 2.0 motor in a '74 bus

Post by westyfrank » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:01 am

Hey All

I'm back. I just couldn't stay away for long.

So, I bought a 74 bus with an engine with a rod sticking out of the block. I have a spare 2.0 from my '81 westy. Would it fit in the new bus without too much trouble? The guy at Always VW says it should go in with easily with the only hassle being hooking up the heaters. Does anyone have any experience in putting a vanagon engine in a bus? I imagine the tin would have to be modified.
Any other problems? Are there kits with motor mounts and all that stuff?

Thanks
Frank

Mike Boell
Old School!

Re: '81 injected, ca., 2.0 motor in a '74 bus

Post by Mike Boell » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:29 am

Welcome Back Frank.
Is the 74' a camper?
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:56 pm

Ahhhh yusss, Frank is back in the fray! And now with a proper Bus! :thumbleft:

Hal would know for sure.

I'd think that they would be the same... I seem to recall that you'd want an AC Vanny case as they are absolutely indestructible even compared to a type IV.

Also, we demand pics!

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:53 pm

You should be able to use the fan housing and the motor mount stuff from your 74, but as far as tinware is concerned, that probably depends if you plan to use the 81's fuel injection or not (you should).

The heater boxes will be different both because the Vanagon routes the heat differently and because the 81 will have square port heads.
If you pick up a set of 79 Federal style heater boxes you should be able to bolt that right up to the 81 motor.

that's the limited information I have about the swap, but hopefully that gets you down the road a little ways...
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:53 pm

westyfrank wrote:Hey All

I'm back. I just couldn't stay away for long.

So, I bought a 74 bus with an engine with a rod sticking out of the block. I have a spare 2.0 from my '81 westy. Would it fit in the new bus without too much trouble?
Sorry I am late! Vanagon flywheel is too big to fit the '74's bell housing. I would swap a 215mm flywheel and use the 215mm clutch assembly and you can keep your transaxle/starter.

OR you can find an 091 transaxle/starter and enjoy late model gearing and keep the superior 228 clutch.
ColinI'mAlwaysLateHere
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles