Acid dust

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Acid dust

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:30 pm

No you goof balls.... not the stuff you go trippin' with. I'm talking about the white dust created by the battery. What are some typical causes for a battery to release the vapors which creates the dust?

Decided it was time to rust proof the battery box area, pulled the battery out and the whole area was coated in the white dust. I've washed the whole area down with baking soda and water, and used a wire wheel to scrape loose paint/rust, then used POR 15. It's all fixed, but would like to keep the acid dust down to a minimum. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Re: Acid dust

Post by Randy in Maine » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:35 pm

From wikipedia....
The white powder sometimes found around the battery terminals is usually lead sulfate which is toxic by inhalation, ingestion and skin contact. The corrosion is caused by an imperfect seal between the plastic battery case and lead battery post allowing sulfuric acid to react with the lead battery posts. The corrosion process is also expedited by over charging. Corrosion can also be caused by factors such as salt water, dirt, heat, humidity, cracks in the battery casing or loose battery terminals. Inspection, cleaning and protection with a light coating of dielectric grease are measures used to prevent corrosion of battery terminals.
79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Acid dust

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:26 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:No you goof balls.... not the stuff you go trippin' with. I'm talking about the white dust created by the battery. What are some typical causes for a battery to release the vapors which creates the dust?

Decided it was time to rust proof the battery box area, pulled the battery out and the whole area was coated in the white dust. I've washed the whole area down with baking soda and water, and used a wire wheel to scrape loose paint/rust, then used POR 15. It's all fixed, but would like to keep the acid dust down to a minimum. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
Clean it all as you have, then use dielectric grease on the terminals, coat them, the posts, the bolts/nuts.
No more Acid Dust Duuuude . . .
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles